Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Imagine the television commercials for all of the mandated vaccines, MMR, DPT, polio, chickenpox, Hep B, flu, Tdap, (and whatever else I'm missing - hard to keep track) (there are commercials for some, like Gardasil, but not all to my knowledge) and imagine those commercials presented in the same fashion as everyday pharmaceutical meds, with the side effects rolling up the screen at the end, including the fact that vaccines are not 100 percent and sometimes may not reach close to 50 percent, where the viewer is left in bewilderment as to the number of side effects that go along with the vaccine as well as the lack of efficacy in some? For example, for the flu vaccine, they'd also have to disclose something to the effect that "GBS has been known in some cases to occur after the flu vaccine, and some cases compensated, yet a clear link had not been established." Complete disclosure, at least the significant points.

How do you think vaccines would be perceived if the information is out in the wide open repetitively on television, with no need to go digging for inserts or specified research on facts regarding claims about the vaccine? Would television commercials presented in such a way have a different impact? I know this will never happen, but I think it's interesting to discuss since it's all about perception.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Im not sure where you live but in the southern US, we constantly have these commercials. The flu commercials do resemble the pharmaceutical ads. I've also seen pneomongicococcal (sp) and shingles. The shingles commercials with that football guy are soooop stupid. The pertussis commercials not so much. The majority read more fear of the disease than listing side effects but the flumist quadravlent got close to resembling the pharmaceutical ads.

If they all read the true side effects, im sure it would wake up some people but for most, i think they'd drown it out like most commercials.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Im not sure where you live but in the southern US, we constantly have these commercials. The flu commercials do resemble the pharmaceutical ads. I've also seen pneomongicococcal (sp) and shingles. The shingles commercials with that football guy are soooop stupid. The pertussis commercials not so much. The majority read more fear of the disease than listing side effects but the flumist quadravlent got close to resembling the pharmaceutical ads.

If they all read the true side effects, im sure it would wake up some people but for most, i think they'd drown it out like most commercials.
I have seen the pertussis commercial, Gardasil, shingles and a few others, but i just realized that for majority of school mandated vaccines for children, such as MMR, chickenpox, etc., there are no commercials and it's because they don't need to physically market and sell those, because they're mandated and they already have their market set. No point in spending money airing commercials when kids have practically no choice in the matter if they want to go to school. No selling necessary. No bother airing side effects, again because they're mandated, and apparently, somehow, are different from other pharmaceuticals we see on television everyday (even though they all have the same type of side effects and risks, so how are they different?).

They show the pertussis commercial for parents, grandparents, etc, (and for the supposed cocooning, which has been found to not work!) and shingles of course for the older group as well. These vaccines aren't mandates for these groups, so Pharma has to work harder on marketing to them so as to gain their business, new customers, more markets, more business, more money. Not such as easy as a sell as the mandated school vax, however. A little more effort is involved, and thus commercials.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Very true. I wish it was different but with how much pharmaceutical companies hold the purse strings of the msm, I don't see the truth coming out anytime soon. However, if it did, it could be revolutionary and i think they know that
Most people dont take the time to read their food labels, much less vaccine package inserts. I think theyre counting on that behavior.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Advertising implies one has a choice in the matter. Imagine the commercials with the copy:

"Ask your doctor for the mercury and aluminum-free, monovalent, diphtheria vaccine"; or:

"Ask your doctor which vaccine is right for you"

Ahhh, maybe one day.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts