Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting a new thread with this only because I was afraid it might not be seen by those who might be able to answer my question. I am aware of how demodectic mange spreads and have read some on sarcoptic but I am curious as to what you all know about the spread of sarcoptic mange. Where does it originate from on a dog who has not been exposed to a sarcops dog?

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
The mites are everywhere--on almost any mammal, wild or tame, that's infected. So a gopher burrow could have them clinging to the dirt on the outside and the dog gets it when it digs, etc. I've had a sarcoptic check twice on Danes that had never come into contact with sarcops dogs, but showed itchy patches. The holistic vet I went to at the time did a scrape for demodex, but of course scrapes for sarcops are largely useless. So the itchy-ear test was used, and despite the fact that neither Dane reacted she was considering a course of ivermectin if the homeopathic remedy she recommended did not work (it did, thankfully).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much! Would you mind telling me what the remedy that she suggested was? I would love to know if it is similar to what we have started with her today.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I can't, sorry--it was years ago now. I do remember that we tried sulfur because of the redness and that wasn't it, so we moved to something else--maybe nat mur? That sounds right to me. Anyway, in that case we were battling a reddened/blackened crusty rash between the umbilicus and vulva and extending up the right side of one of them, and just a little itchiness on the other. Scrapings were negative, but the poor thing was miserable. The allopathic vets were baffled and wanted to just put her on pred, so I ran off to a holistic vet. Within two days of starting the right rememdy it was substantially less red, and in a week it was almost totally gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts