Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm expecting our second baby in a few weeks, and I've had manual pumps on my mind lately. I have a Pump In Style that's ready to go, and I'm sure I'll use it some with this baby. But I also want something that's portable, easy to use, and still gets a lot of milk.

Am I dreaming?

I looked at a Whisper Wear yesterday at the nursing store down the street. It looks like something I would use a lot, if it actually works! I travel to play in two orchestras. I took most of the season off when ds was a newborn because of all the time it took to stop and pump late at night. If I could pump and drive at the same time, I might be able to play more next season.

The Whisper Wear price tag is a bit high for an experimenting project.

The people at the store also showed me the new Medela handheld pump. I tried it on the balloon, and it seemed really easy to use. It has that nifty letdown trigger, too. It still cost $45. But they did recommend it over the Avent Isis (they don't even carry that one anymore).

Anyone used the Whisper Wear or Medela?

·
Registered
693 Posts
I haven't used the Medela Harmony, but I have used the Avent Isis and I love it. I get more milk with less pain than I do with the Medela double electric pumps. I have used the Medela soft fit breast shields on the Mela Lactina and I did not like them at all. The soft fit breast shield is what comes on the Harmony manual pump. Anyway, I'm very skeptical of the Harmony. I'd love to try one, but I find it hard to believe that it would be better than the Isis if the quality is consistent with the other Medela products I've used.

Good luck,
Sarah

Pumping grumpily with a Medela Lactina to save time and hands!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have to second the Avent Isis. I love mine. It's very comfortable and I get quite a but of milk. I am purchasing a pump in style because I'm going back to work fulltime. I hope I like it a lot for the price.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I used an Evenflo manual pump and I thought it was great. Everything fits in a small pouch for easy travel and it alternates between plug-in or battery use. I bought it at a chain drugstore for about $40. It is packed away in storage now (for next time) so I can't look it up or exact details!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I have the Ameda Purely Yours for work, and the Avent Isis for other times. I think I get just as much from the Avent as my double electric. But I think the Avent takes something to get used to. I have a really hard time getting the suction started sometimes and then the milk doesn't just flow nicely into the bottles. When it starts coming fast I usually have to unlatch to let the milk flow into the bottle and then start pumping more. So I have a love hate relationship with it.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
Another plug for the Avent! You can take the whole thing apart for washing and if you have a dishwasher, you can throw it in that! I got more milk with it than with my borrowed PIS. It was def more work, but I had more control over how I pumped (pressure, speed, etc) and this made all the difference! That and it was MUCh quieter and I didn't have to 'plug' myself in!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.