Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
I read that article this morning, too. I was very disappointed by it's tone. I got the impression that the author agrees with the whole "do it if you want to, but find someplace where you won't be seen" idea. And the woman who said "Gross, I am sick of seeing a baby attached to a boob," just needs to grow up. Also, I can't believe a mom still nursing her 3 year old is against NIP. This artile, and all the rest of the hoopla surrounding NIP lately makes it seem like people whip out an entire bare boob, expose their nipple that's dripping with milk, and let it hang out for the entire feeding. That's so far from the truth. I bet most people have never really seen or noticed a woman NIP. I did it all the time, and never got one look or comment. I wish the media would understand that it's possible to be quite discreet, and that most women are. I just wore longer shirts, and I never had to let a single bit of skin hang out for the world to admire (except maybe for the half-second it took to latch my DD on).

I think the cover is absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't display how most women look while they NIP (unless they are at home). I've never seen a topless woman NIP. Why are they comparing that photo to women who NIP?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh yeah - I feel bad for her: "Men are very visual," says Wheatley, 40, of Amarillo, Texas. "When they see a woman's breast, they see a breast - regardless of what it's being used for." She's the one who's nursing her 3-year old. It must stink for her DH to get aroused each time she nurses.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion'smommy
I started reading some of the replies and I think they have to be pranks. People could not seriously believe the things that were said.
I kind of had that thought too?

eta: I am known to be naive at times

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
So glad you ladies are here. I am so disgusted by the attitudes on the AOL board over the fact that it is a three year old being breastfed. When I replied that it was their ignorance that made them uncomfortable I was called everything from a man to a pedophile!!!

I stated that the average weaning age around the world is three to four years old and has been for thousands of years. The response was that people who wean at that age live in countries where their children have nothing else to eat and/or they are not industrilized so they don't know any better. Women in America, who have better food and education, ought to know better than that and if we still breastfeed past whatever age they deemed appropriate, then we have deep psychological issues and are abusive.

Obviously some of the people making comments are just being dumb to get us riled up. But people who make comments likening toddler bf'ing to pedophilia are dangerous, imo. They are the kind of people who will call child protection services on a healthy, loving family and accuse them of abuse and neglect just because they don't like what they see.

:

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brookerenee
I think the cover is absolutely gorgeous, but it doesn't display how most women look while they NIP (unless they are at home). I've never seen a topless woman NIP. Why are they comparing that photo to women who NIP?
Because they are ignorant, anti-child, anti-mother, anti-breastfeeding perverts.

I think I have seen exactly four breasts of women out of all the women I have seen NIP and two of those were in the backyard of someones home and not in a public place. *Most* women I have seen NIP are fully covered with some sort of shawl.

I use a cover with my toddlers because they tend to squirm and expose more, but with a newborn, even without a cover over me, unless someone was purposely looking for skin they couldn't see any.

Every time we go into a store or any public place, my children are subject to seeing the flesh of women based on the whims of whatever they decided to wear for the day, and the magazine covers in checkout lines show far more flesh than any breastfeeding mother I have ever seen in life or in a picture. Nobody makes a fuss about this.
:

Nickey,
who should go find her toddler and
her. It would do me a lot more good than ranting about jack a**es.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
My husband was reading another forum where they were discussing the controversy surrounding this cover. Evidently there they had heard that there are actually people SUING the magazine. Has anyone heard of that? Could that be true
:

·
Registered
302 Posts
NAK....

This whole thing is really starting to get on my nerves
: ! I can't belive that so many people would be offended by such a beautiful photograph. It's not as though women NIP'ing are going topless, although in my city you can

To have the guts to make such a rediculous comment as "people outside of America only BF for such a long time because they aren't well educated and have no other food" is just beyond me. Frankly it's the other way around as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who wants to sue that magazine should have their head examined. I live in a University town and everytime I leave my house and go to campus I am assulted by exposed flesh on young women......no one ever complains about that
: !

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Quote:
To have the guts to make such a rediculous comment as "people outside of America only BF for such a long time because they aren't well educated and have no other food" is just beyond me.
LOL, the forum I mentioned above is actually not an American forum and the person who started the thread entitled it "A Nation of Idiots" and people there can't even believe that anyone could possibly have a problem with the mag cover or NIP in general. That just goes to show what those "uneducated" people outside of America are starting to think of us!

·
Registered
454 Posts
That magazine wants to know what we think of its cover. Write in at

[email protected]

Let's start writing ladies!

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
ugh I don't even know what to say! I've never encountered opposition like that over breastfeeding where I live..

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
OMG! One of the responses: "Gross! Breastfeeding is for animals!"

·
Registered
364 Posts
I love how these dingdongs think that once a child has teeth they no longer need to be breastfeed.
:
They act like they should be eating beef jerky or something.
I say mommas nurse those babies as long as you and baby are comfortable with it.

·
Banned
6,717 Posts
Quote:

Oh yeah - I feel bad for her: "Men are very visual," says Wheatley, 40, of Amarillo, Texas. "When they see a woman's breast, they see a breast - regardless of what it's being used for." She's the one who's nursing her 3-year old. It must stink for her DH to get aroused each time she nurses.
Wow, When I see a breast I see a breast too! I wonder what it's really supposed to be? A purple baloon with a huge smiley face on it?

Come ON!

:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:

I know some womans thinking doesn't make sense does it. Maybe her husband was not breastfed or weaned to early

1 - 20 of 41 Posts