Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by annettemarie View Post
The least expensive maple syrup around here is $5.99 for the smallest container. Any leads on where I can get it for less?
Probably not a help, but we live where it's made and I negotiate with farmers at sugaring time for a bulk discount, and buy the whole year's worth at once if we can.

I paid $40/gallon last year and that was the cheapest price around.

Which reminds me I have to allocate money for that soon!

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
This doesn't even make sense, but the cheapest I can get it is at Whole Foods. But, I don't have membership in BJs, Sams Club, etc. Our Trader Joes also has it in large, less expensive containers sometimes, too.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
I think I paid 36 for a gallon last year. I bought a few quarts for 12.99 I think.

I try to buy in bulk if I have the money, but I think the cheapest I got was 25 but that was three years ago. A lot depends on where you live and the season. We had a poor season last year so price went up.

I miss maple syrup- we have had to buy the fake junk until the new season starts.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I get mine at BJ's. $12 something for a quart jug. Do you live where you could make your own? My parents made it during my childhood and there is nothing yummier than freshly cooked maple syrup on the wood stove.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sadly, no Whole Foods anywhere near me.
And no, I really can't make my own. I'm going to ask around for local bulk sources, but if that doesn't work, I guess it's going to have to be Amazon.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Do you have any "farmers market" type stands? we have a couple farmer road side stands/stores around us and it ischeaper then buying it at the grocery store. You can also buy it usually at actual farmers markets then you can line up a source for off farmers market times

I don't know if anyones made maple syrup here but it can be a pain the the behind. Either you boil it down in you kitchen on your stove, which means your elctric bill goes up and your house is a disgusting sticky mess for MONTHS or you build a fire outside and stand outside freezing your butt off making sure the fire keeps going/hunt down or pay for the wood. OR you buy gas which can cost an arm and a leg. It's not a simple process. It is well worth it for our family. Since we live in canada and have maple trees lining my grandmothers property but truthfully it's not that easy of an undertaking! The easiest way is to make it on a woodstove BUT its still a lot of work!!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Amazon.com usually has a good deal on it, you can price-compare while shopping and once you have bought something from their health-foody grocery category, they notify you of sales on natural products. I have gotten GREAT deals on organic maple syrup and unrefined coconut oil this way.

There are also ways to get free shipping, like getting Amazon Prime (useful if you are going to shop Amazon frequently) or making a minimum order of a certain amount of $.

·
Registered
660 Posts
We get ours from the farmers market (same guy every year) - larger containers are a better deal, but I don't remember exactly what we pay. We buy a gallon and it lasts a year. Store the larger container in the freezer, and fill a small container for the fridge.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We do have a farmer's market, but no maple syrup.
Lots of honey, no maple syrup. And the farmer's market is closed until spring anyway.
I shop at an Amish produce stand, but they really only carry "table syrup" which is pretty much corn syrup. The surplus outlet used to carry it fro $1.99 for a small glass bottle, but they never seem to get it anymore.

I still have my Amazon Prime 3 months free, so I will definitely look there.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
My Dad has a small sugar shack so I was used to having syrup around growing up. He hasn't made any lately because it's a lot of work and he's getting older.

DH knows a bunch of guys at work who make syrup and we'll buy our years worth from them. (I swear, everyone at his shop has a side job!)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Do you live in an area where maple syrup is produced?

Around here we have maple syrup festivals and sugar shacks, farms open to the public for the maple syrup season, etc. Those are in March, at the peak of maple syrup season (March break for kiddos). At the right time of year there are also farmers selling their maple syrup roadside (mostly in the mennonite areas).

Would any of that be a possibility? A google search gets me info on some of the larger farms...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Check out your local natural food/health foods store. Even when our local farmers are no longer selling at the farmer's market here you can get maple syrup at the natural foods store in bulk. So much cheaper when you provide your own container.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I know a park about an hour away does a sugar shack thing in the spring, but I think it's mostly just to demonstrate for school kids and not any kind of industry. I'm in the mountains of PA.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
Word of caution on the things like "maple fests" They sometimes UP the price of the maple syup. We have festivals all around here. One within walking distance of us and its a cash grab. Rides/cotton candy/all the fair crazyness and the maple syrup is EXPENSIVE!!! Then theres one with in walking distance of my grandma's house(at a farm) and they have tours/gamesect. not nearly as crazy but still can be expensive.

Wonder how much it would cost to send m.s. frm here to you?

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
Try going directly to the producer and getting baking/cooking grade. It's not as clear or as light, but still tastes SO good and is generally less expensive.

Otherwise you can make your own out of brown sugar/water/maple flavoring but it's not exactly as healthy

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
In the mountains of PA, I'm willing to bet that you could find someone local producing syrup. Maple syrup is collected and made during the time of year when the daytime temperatures are above zero, but it still freezes at night.

I'd recommend watching Craig's List for ads or looking for maple syrup on www.localharvest.org. A quick google also turned up this:
http://www.pennsylvaniamaplesyrupfestival.com/

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.