Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy March ladies! How is everyone doing?

I can't believe how close we're getting to meeting our babies! I am just 32 weeks today, but there's quite a few of us turning 36 weeks this coming week and most of our due date "windows" will open this month. Are you ready or do you have a long to do list still? Are your partner and kids ready for the change?

I had a couple nights of horrible sleep this week and was preparing myself for that to continue indefinitely when I suddenly started sleeping much better. Has anyone else had symptoms that come and go? How are your bodies holding up?

Today I am frustrated that the ground is covered in slippery snow so the walks I'm trying to take to keep my body feeling good mostly just end up tweaking my pelvis from having to walk so awkwardly.

Today I am grateful that, through a friend of a friend connection, we have found a really great apartment to land in April 1st when we move across the country. All wood floors, perfect bike commute to work for my husband, and in a quiet neighborhood but still within walking distance of the food co-op/downtown.

Chime in!

·
Registered
250 Posts
36 weeks on Tuesday/Wednesday here (I know it's some time between Tuesday and Friday. Midwives have it as Tuesday). On one hand, it's nice to feel like I really am almost there; on the other hand, four weeks still feels like quite bit of time!

I'm so tired of feeling like I need heavy machinery just to turn over in bed, tired of not being able to lay on my back/belly, tired of having about 2 square inches of room for food in my stomach, tired of the random pinched/nerve-ish groin pains I get in the evening. Tired of just having a bowling ball of extra weight in my abdomen.

But I've hardly gotten together any of the supplies for the birth. I haven't started freezing any food (I had quite a stash of soups/cooked beans/rice/etc last pregnancy!). I like having as much time as I can to work (and therefore save money). My "sprinkle" is next Sunday, and it fortunately lines up with my mother's visit (she lives 14 hours away).

I know @chuord and @MyFillingQuiver have been asking how we're doing, but it's been pretty quiet here! (And confession: I've also been hanging out in the March DDC since I'm right on the border!) We just end up chatting through my midwife appointments. My blood pressure is beautiful (well, low, but regular for me seems to be on the low end of normal). The baby is super active day and night, usually head down when they've checked. I have plenty of the usual preggo symptoms (insomnia, some heartburn, varicose veins), but nothing too bad.

I'm starting to make decisions about things like Vit K (declined last time, doing it this time) and placenta encapsulation (definitely doing it again - I have no idea if I would have had a bad time without it last time, but I had a really easy time of recovery emotionally and physically, and I don't want to risk it!).

I've started watching birth videos with my son, too. We plan to send him to my MIL's for the actual birth, but he does so much better with a change in his routine when he knows a little of what to expect, and so watching people (esp. families that already have kids) set up the birthing tubs and seeing the mamas starting to labor and seeing the brand new babies and all I think will really help him when we get there, however it goes.
@Springgoddess, I feel you on those slippery walkways! We have so much snow everywhere, far more than we're accustomed to, and predicted to get more tonight! Then all of the weeks of melt/freeze/melt/freeze...

Today I am frustrated by: well, nothing yet, but I'm sure something will come up ;)

Today I am grateful for: My husband! For letting me sleep in an extra hour, for the way we're parenting together through some more-intense-than-usual toddler boundary-testing, for the stir fry he made last night. I loved him so much before we were parents, but he has been the most outstanding dad/fellow parent on the face of the earth.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Happy March! Things are going well here. We had a day of nesting yesterday. I went through bags and bags of baby clothes and organized them by size. The washer and drier are busy today getting the newborn and 3 month size clothes ready! My husband put together the dresser that will be for baby Ethan, and we got a bed for our toddler, Zack, who will turn 2 about a week before my due date. His bed is in our room and he slept well in it until midnight last night, when I brought him into our queen with me. Right now he's napping in his new bed, so we're hoping this transition will go smoothly. Since our bed is a queen, we just don't have room for 2 adults, a toddler, and a newborn! My husband will sleep in Zack's bed with him if necessary once Ethan is born so he doesn't get lonely.

I feel really good about all that we accomplished yesterday! We need to get cloth diapers for Ethan and freeze food and clean the car seat, but other than that we are ready! I'm glad we got all that done before I'm too huge to move around. I am finally having some insomnia and feeling tired, but I'm trying to go with it and rest as much as I can instead of fighting it. I definitely feel more easy going about preparations this time around. I just feel like everything will fall into place as far as being ready, especially after all we did yesterday.

I haven't been able to get out walking nearly as much as I would like to because of the wintery weather, but Zack and I have dance parties and play a lot, so I hope that counts for something!

I am frustrated that I need to take the time to set up a consult with a new potential pediatrician, make a first appointment for physical therapy (I broke my left fibula 5 weeks ago), and call the hospital that misdiagnosed my broken fibula as NOT broken because I don't want to pay them. But, I need to just suck it up and do it!

I am thankful for: My sweet daughter who played with her brother yesterday so we could get things ready, even though she didn't really want to. I am also thankful for my sweet husband who made breakfast, worked hard to move stuff around, build furniture, and remove tons of crap to the garage, all with a calm attitude! He is truly a wonderful partner. We work together so well!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I broke my left fibula 5 weeks ago

Oh gosh, Ruth! I'm sorry to hear about your leg. Is it healing up ok?

I'm doing great. I get tired and sore very quickly when I walk around too much, but otherwise everything is perfect. I'll be 33 weeks on Thursday so I still got quite a while to go, or at least it feels like it. I made a huge cloth diapering wishlist that my husband says he's going to get for me, so yaaaaaaaay! :grin: I'm also in the market for a new ring sling. I've been going to the mall a few times a week to walk around. It helps that I'm not much of a shopper, so I'm not compelled to spend money except for indulging in some Teavana tea. After hauling my pregnant self around for 90 minutes I look forward to that iced tea! :wink:

I can't think of much else to add now. The baby's room is still my office and the house is a mess. I need to go clean because my in-laws are coming over on Thursday.

Happy last few weeks to everyone! :grin:

·
Registered
298 Posts
Oh gosh, Ruth! I'm sorry to hear about your leg. Is it healing up ok?/QUOTE]

It is healing well, thanks for asking! My husband took a week off of work right when it happened, then my mother came and stayed with us for 2 weeks. Neither of them would let me lift a finger, so I relaxed and enjoyed being taken care of because I know things will be busy once the baby is born! It is very nice to be back in my kitchen and up and about now and I am SO glad it didn't happen later in pregnancy. At this rate, it will be completely healed by the time I give birth.

Hooray for diapers and a new sling! What kind are you looking at?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
So glad your leg is healing @MommyRuth! I'm glad you had good support while you recovered.
@AntoninBeGonin, good deal on the walking! I so miss being more active! The cloth diaper stash sounds really good..I'm building my stash and stepping out into a whole new world of trying out different types..we'll see!

Today I am frustrated: Nothing too much. I went through a bit of frustration (and I'm sure it can/will return) over my physical limitations and not having slept much for months now..but now it's more surrender and drawing on all the strength God gives me to make it through.

Today I am grateful that: I have not had any pre-term labor issues. I have about a week and a half (36 weeks) before the babies are considered full-term for twins. A few more days and I can birth at my hospital where it's WAY laid back, and the babies will not be treated like NICU candidates, unless something is actually wrong. A huge goal in this pregnancy was that I really didn't want to deliver at "the big hospital" with the NICU, because I truly wanted to avoid feeding tubes, vents, and arguing over injections, eye ointment, etc. Not to mention how difficult a 40 minute drive to the big hospital each day to visit babies would be....

Anyway, I'm grateful we're there. Out of all the pain and my new found ability to complain about it, these babies are going to come more prepared for the outside world than what a lot of mothers of twins find themselves facing: babies that are early and not ready to go home. I'm grateful.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@teegan db - heavy machinery LOL! I am tickled that you're calling your gathering a "sprinkle". Is that because there won't be very many people or because you've asked for no gifts? Tell us more!
@MommyRuth - congrats on the nesting and good luck with the sleeping arrangement transition! How have the past few nights been going? I know I hate making phone calls too. It can help to remember that it's just a regular person like you on the other end with their own strengths and weaknesses (and also, just how good it will feel to check those things off your to do list). Sending healing wishes!
@AntoninBeGonin - ooh cloth diaperrs, what kind? Did you CD with your older kids or is this new territory?
@MyFillingQuiver - surrender has been a big key word for my pregnancy as well. I learned early on that each symptom that appeared and I worried would last forever usually worked itself out within a few weeks, or usually days. So now I try to just imagine I'm riding through big waves, because even though I don't know what's in store for me next I know I am always safe in the ocean.

It's so sweet to hear about everyone's supportive partners! Of course they're human too and it's totally fine to vent about their shortcomings here, but I'm just filled with warm fuzzies that you all are being taken care of so well. :throb

·
Registered
250 Posts
@Springgoddess, I've heard people call it that for 2nd pregnancies and beyond just because you usually have most of the stuff you need (and we do). Hopefully it'll be low-key, not too cutesy. Not sure how many people will be there (I'm trying to stay hands-off!). I'm just happy for an excuse to get together with friends. :)

·
Registered
721 Posts
We are 32 weeks today. Feeling a lot like teegan db as far as symptoms. We went for a 3D ultrasound yesterday and got to see the baby's face. She's so chubby already! And looks huge! Totally like a baby, not like a fetus. My partner is traveling out of state next week because his father failed a cardiac stress test (has already had 1 heart attack). So he's feeling like his dad might pass away soon, and he wants to see him before that happens. He's really scared about missing the birth while he's visiting his dad...but I highly doubt this little one will try to come out early. If she's anything like her sister, she'll come out half a month late.

Like MyFillingQuiver, I've been trying to focus on surrendering. I'm just finding it very difficult to do the things I have to do, such as taking my daughter to school without having had any sleep the night before. We've set up a bed next to ours "for the baby" (that's where I'll cosleep and nurse baby through the night). But my musical beds number has gotten old...I used to visit all different beds throughout the night in search of some sleep...now I just plop, try to maneuver pillows under my belly, and if I get a little sleep I wake up with the most awful upper back ache. Feels like some hacked my back in half. Then getting my 6 year old ready for school, breakfast, pack her lunch, and take her to school...it's way harder than it should be. We have no family here, so it's not like I could ask grandma to take her to school. I was fantasizing about sleeping on my back the other day...that used to be my sleeping position pre baby. I was an avid backpacker, and could sleep on a 1inch thick piece of foam over rocks....and now I can't find comfort on any kind of surface (we have a sleep number bed, 2 organic mattress beds, 1 spring mattress bed, couple of couches). I've been spending a lot of time on my knees, draped over the chaise lounge because I can't even sit for more than 15 minutes. Sigh...

As far as preparations...we still need newborn clothes. I might have scored a huge stash of cloth diapers from craigslist. The family never used them and are selling them for way below market value. I'll look at them tomorrow and will decide if they're nice enough to buy. We're still looking for a faucet adaptor for the hose we're going to use to fill up the birthing pool.

Today I am frustrated due to being up in the air about my degree. I'm in grad school and didn't plan this pregnancy. Some days it hits me all day long...that I don't know if I should drop out of my program, I don't know if I'll be able to finish, I don't know if this will be an easy/hard baby and how that will affect the progress of my project. I don't know what to do about it, and think I probably won't make a decision until after I meet this baby.

Today I'm grateful for the hot chocolate my partner left on the table for my daughter and me, with hand drawn hearts (he leaves for work as we wake up in the mornings). And the little love note he left in my laptop. I love it when he does that...:love I open my laptop and there's a piece of paper with sweet nothings from him.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Hi everyone I've been quiet recently because things have been hectic here....we have our work meeting in Zanzibar in just about a week and I was planning to come back home for 10 days after the meeting, but the airlines absolutely will not let me fly past 36 weeks, even though it's a 45 min flight. So I have to go right from my work meeting to Nairobi (at exactly 36 weeks, the very last day they will let me on the plane) and won't be able to come back home. Which means I have to be completely ready by next Friday...and there is so much to do! Besides getting ready for the baby and packing and finishing things at work I have a small cloth diaper business. we just got a commercial shipment of fabric this week and I have to cut and organize. i had issues with fabric "disappearing" so I cut the fabric myself (I don't cut out all the patterns I just cut large pieces that I know make 4 covers, 5 diapers, etc so there isn't any extra fabric to be stolen) and organize things to keep running while I'm away for what will now be 6-8 weeks.

And I share the frustration many of you have mentioned about not being able to do as much as I want to. I took a leave day on tue to get things done and was hobbling around with terrible back pain by evening, and only did about half the things I had hoped to get done.

I'm trying to relax and whatever will get done, will get done. Whatever doesn't it will not be the end of the world. My husband will be coming back home for those 10 days to finish up some things in the office so that makes me feel better if I forget something he can get it for me. But I'm not excited about being in Kenya with the kids by myself, though we will have part time childcare and household help which will make things more manageable.

lorena - I'm also on the fence about whether I want to keep working or not once the baby arrives. Like you, I'm trying not to stress and not planning to make a decision until this baby comes and I see his personality and how it is to balance things with 3 children. I am really, really looking forward to my maternity leave and having trouble staying motivated at work for these next few weeks! I'll work from a distance in Kenya until the baby is born so I still have several weeks of work left.

i'm hoping this guy comes a week or two early so we can get home sooner, but I have a feeling he is going to be late. We'll see!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi everyone I've been quiet recently because things have been hectic here....we have our work meeting in Zanzibar in just about a week and I was planning to come back home for 10 days after the meeting, but the airlines absolutely will not let me fly past 36 weeks, even though it's a 45 min flight. So I have to go right from my work meeting to Nairobi (at exactly 36 weeks, the very last day they will let me on the plane) and won't be able to come back home. Which means I have to be completely ready by next Friday...and there is so much to do! i'm hoping this guy comes a week or two early so we can get home sooner, but I have a feeling he is going to be late. We'll see!!
Bluedaisy we seem to be sisters from another mother. I fly out next week to Canada to get ready for baby's arrival. It has been really hectic since my family and I work abroad. And I just interviewed for a position that would move us in the next few months across the globe. I am still working from home and starting mat leave next week. Because of all of this, I haven't been nesting. I do have a few things for baby, but nowhere near how I was prepared for our daughter. If only he'd make an early arrival I could get back from Toronto to finish a lot of things I need to get out of the way.

I am also in search of a midwife. Thankfully, I think I found a practice looking for women with my due date. So, we'll have to see once I'm there how that works out. I am attempting a VBAC and really am fearful of a hospital birth. I get anxious thinking about it. Many say 2nd section are easier, but I just can't afford a long downtime. And I honestly don't want to be cut open again. So, I'm trying to confront my feelings on this.

Lorena, I can relate, my last pregnancy was while I was wrapping up gradschool. Have you reached out to your professors to see if you can push your deadlines? Some course will allow you to get an incomplete and then put in your grades once they get your final assignments. That might be easier than withdrawing and taking the courses all over again. At the graduate level, I found professors to be more flexible, understanding that we had lives outside of their classes. You can definitely do it. It won't be easy, but exploring other options might make it bearable.

As for me and the frustrations...everything and anything. LOL....it all depends on the day. But today is a good day.

I am grateful for a wonder family who is supportive of me, my career, and my darlings. I truly am surrounded by love. And it looks like baby boy has a partial name, Avery. If only I could find the rest.

Belle

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
@AntoninBeGonin - ooh cloth diaperrs, what kind? Did you CD with your older kids or is this new territory?
:throb

I was HUGE into cloth diapers with my first two. It was pretty much an obsession. A really good friend of mine owned a cloth diaper store and I pretty much kept her in business. :wink:

·
Registered
758 Posts
bellecreole - all the best as you travel to Toronto!! It does sound like we have a lot in common! I hope you're able to find a midwife that you like and i'm hoping that both of our little ones come a bit early so we can get back home :)

We leave on Friday - getting all the baby stuff packed and ready is making it sink in that we are actually going to have another baby soon, and I'm getting so excited! Since this guy was a surprise it's seemed a bit surreal the whole time and now it's finally sinking in.

Maybe because it's likely to be my last baby but I am really enjoying being pregnant despite the fatigue and back pain :) I love my belly and my pregnant body - with my first two I never really had an issue with the weight gain but I didn't quite love my belly the way I do this time...I don't know if that makes any sense! Maybe it's just getting sentimental that this will likely be my last. Though when I think about having another newborn and all the excitement and sweetness of a new baby it's making me consider a fourth....though I definitely might feel differently after labor and many sleepless nights!! And I'm pretty sure DH will be done after this one, since he was quite content with two!

Two of my cloth diaper photos are finalists in the mothering contest - if you haven't yet, please go vote for them!! (if you like them :) ) Thanks!!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Safe travels Bluedaisy. I am settling well in Toronto. I did get to meet with the midwives, and I lucked out that they had space for April moms. Meeting with my midwife has really calmed my anxiety around doing the VBAC. I know I made the right choice traveling back to Canada and approaching this naturally. I also opted to give birth in a birthing centre instead of the hospital. At home just seemed a little too risky for my hubby and family. I know that I can do this. It feels good resting up and preparing for baby's arrival.

Belle

·
Registered
721 Posts
Is anyone else just done being pregnant?!

I am finding it so challenging/almost impossible to work! I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home right now, but I can't sit for longer than 15-20 minutes at a time because my pelvis starts to scream. Sleep is so elusive, and when I catch some down time I wake up with the worst back ache. And the rhinitis, oh dear...whether it's bloody mucous, crusts of dried blood/mucous, etc. - it hurts to breathe. Wiping my butt is so challenging! I feel like a contortionist! With me out of commision, the house is starting to fall apart. Baby items still need to be purchased, and the ones we have need to get laundered and put away. Amidst all this I have a dog with explosive diarrhea...lol she spray painted the walls, the bathroom, her crate. My significant other is out of state right now. I just want this all to be over. The weather is so nice right now, I wish I could enjoy it...

Sorry, I just need to whine today. I'm really thankful the pregnancy is "going great." I just need to let off a little steam here since everyone expects me to be all unicorns and butterflies in real life.

·
Registered
250 Posts
@LorenaAZ, that's how I was feeling last week, but now that I've hit the 38 week mark (today!), I feel much more relaxed, since I know it *could* really be any day now. Plus, I think we're all set on supplies, etc, finally. Clothes and diapers and linens are washed (not folded, but... eh?). Do I still have a miserable pelvis and trouble sleeping and wish I could stand up easily or eat a full meal? Of course, but I'm starting to feel this end-of-pregnancy zen thing. That, and every day I don't go into labor is another day added to my last editing paycheck. :) At least right now, I know it'll happen when it happens. And signs are pointing toward sooner rather than later (low low baby, lots of Braxton Hicks, etc, etc).

I hope it happens for you, too!

Reactions: NizhoniTwice

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@JoeyV - how far did you get lol? I just reached the point where I have to cross my legs to put on socks and it usually takes me two tries to get the heel in the right place.
@MommyRuth - is your leg healing okay?
@bluedaisy - did your flight go alright?

Everyone still hanging in there?

Lots of late-pregnancy travel in this group! My flight across the country is on Tuesday (at 35w2d) and I am not looking forward to being cramped for that long.

I've had quite an interesting week...my first hemmorhoid popped up, baby started kicking me a lot stronger to the point of saying "ouch!" out loud, and I had a weird racing pulse / couldn't catch my breath episode for about a day. After researching everything it could be (low iron/protein/potassium, preeclampsia, congestive heart failure...) I decided the baby just had a growth spurt and was pushing awkwardly into my lungs and diaphram.

Last, but not least, another big CONGRATULATIONS to @MyFillingQuiver :joy

·
Registered
18 Posts
@JoeyV - how far did you get lol? I just reached the point where I have to cross my legs to put on socks and it usually takes me two tries to get the heel in the right place.

I got the big toes done and said screw it, tried to just drip it straight out of the bottle onto my toes. I got a couple.

Socks! I haven't worn socks or shoes for months! Granted, I live in a warm climate, but I tried to pull on a pair of boots the other day and they ripped in half.

Is MFQ the first one in our DDC to deliver? She should get a prize. Oh wait, she did- twins!

·
Registered
298 Posts
I go back and forth between being DONE and realizing I have a few things to finish up. Also, my son turns 2 on April 8 and I want to spend the weekend after his birthday celebrating him and doing fun stuff that he will enjoy, so I do want this baby to wait until after that to arrive. But baby Ethan has definitely had a huge growth spurt the past few days. Now his head is low and hurts my bladder, cervix, and randomly presses different nerves and ligaments in that area AND his feet and butt are in my ribs, which is painful, makes it hard to breathe, and is giving me reflux. I am grateful that we are both perfectly healthy and the discomfort is normal, but man it's hard to keep up with a toddler right now!

I also feel bad for my BFF. She had her 3rd baby 2 weeks ago and is having a really hard time for several reasons. She lives an hour and a half away from me and considering I can barely handle the time in the car to take my DD to school and pick her up, I cannot handle that drive. Plus I don't think having my sweet, loud toddler amongst the chaos would help her, but I really wish there was something I could do.

I've also been concerned about how things will go adding a newborn to the mix. My DD is pretty mature and helpful, but I don't want to overwhelm her with asking for help. My toddler seems to be beginning a normal phase of tantrums and difficulty communicating and I doubt a new baby is going to help him with that. DH is going to take 3 weeks off of work when baby arrives, so I am VERY happy about that! He's a really helpful partner and a great daddy, so it will be really nice to spend that time together and have his help.

My leg is healing wonderfully, thanks for asking, @Springgoddess and I'm back to normal as far as moving around! Good luck with your flight!!! I hope it goes smoothly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts