Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving over to a new thread for the new month...

So I guess things are looking up for Morris. :p
I like the sound of that :)

I forced my husband to make a list of ten names yesterday. After he did I told him I have no idea how we are compatible if we don't even come close to liking the same names. It is so frustrating. I still want one of those husbands who doesn't have strong opinions or else thinks the mom should get to name since she does all the hard work. :)
Sigh, Emanresu. DH was teasing yesterday that he read somewhere that waiting to name the baby till after the birth can majorly skew things in the mother's favor -- something like you can't look your wife in the eye who just went through x number of hours of labor and say "no, you can't use that name." Which is funny, because HE's the one who more strongly prefers to wait till after the baby's born to name him!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I'm glad your husband is supportive of your naming "rights" Fyerfly. ;) and it is just nice to have a few names to choose from that both people agree on.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I will try to join in chat some more this month. I usually post in the infertility thread because I was so nervous the first and part of the second trimester. Now that I feel baby move all the time and our 20 week scan showed no problems, I feel so much more secure in this pregnancy. I am doing well. Just waiting for winter to be over so I can enjoy being outside again.

I forgot to add I am technically due July 1st but it took so long for the July DDC to open that I just kinda stuck around this DDC. lol.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now that I feel baby move all the time and our 20 week scan showed no problems, I feel so much more secure in this pregnancy. I am doing well. Just waiting for winter to be over so I can enjoy being outside again.
Awesome!! So glad you're feeling better and more secure, MountainMama. Ditto on waiting for winter to pass...I don't think I've ever been so excited for the seasons to turn.

I have a kind of busy beginning of this week..then it's time for my spring break from classes! Will still have work to do, but I'm looking forward to having days free to do whatever feels good. Our weekends in March and April are getting really busy, which is exciting, but I'm also looking forward to May - at the moment I have nothing on the calendar after May 6, which I like :)

Have any first time moms been to a LLL meeting? Or have you ever been to one while pregnant? I started reading the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding, and they encourage you to go while pregnant to get info/meet other mamas.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
We have been making more plans too and I like it. It helps to have something to look forward to.

It appears that July is going to be our busiest month. Possibly (most likely) a birth in early July. Fourth of July weekend family reunion, as long as babe is a few days old.

Then my dad's birthday (not a big production).

Then DH possibly out of town for a two day concert and a hot air balloon rally with my parents.

Then DH out of town for work mid-week.

And an air show that weekend.

Then my birthday (not a big deal) and National Night Out the following week.

Ending with a weekend out of town for my husband's sister's wedding and DH and the three big kids are in the wedding.

Oh my gosh. Typing that all our makes it seem as exhausting as it will be! I love all the fun summer has to offer and a new baby does not usually slow us down.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Emanresu !WOW!! A hot air balloon rally??? What is that? and what is "National Night Out"? That all sounds action packed and awesome :)

Most of our plans over the next few weekends are pretty tame by comparison: birth/baby class at the birth center, our little getaway, my friend's baby shower, visiting friends/family, and then a little local baby celebration thingy for us here in town. Then I'm hoping to visit my Grandma with my dad - she lives a few hrs away and hasn't been doing very well, so it will be great to get to see her.

The summer fun I'm MOST looking forward to is in August - I volunteer every year at the county fair where I grew up. I'm really hoping the baby and I will be up and about by that point (mid-August), because it will be soooo fun to take him and introduce him to my "fair family" and show him the piglets/cows/ducklings/etc. that I've ogled over since I was tiny myself :)

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Going out to the county fair to show everyone the new baby sounds fun! I'm sure you'll be ready for that!

The hot air balloon rally is where we hopefully get to see a bunch of hot air ballons take off at once. There are crafty shopping booths, children's activities, and food spots set up. Conditions have to be a certain way for balloons to take off, but everything else is fun too.

National Night Out is a community event at our village park. Local law enforcement has interactive learning activities set up, there are booths for local places, food, music, and the swimming pond is open late. Weather and emergency permitting, a flight for life helicopter lands and the kids get to check out the inside.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hi, ladies! I'm also hoping to be around a little more often this month.
Hot air balloon rally sounds awesome! I have a tattoo of a hot air balloon but I've never had a chance to go up in one. Have you Emanrasu?
We're starting to firm up plans for our big road trip this summer, and it's so crazy to think we'll have a whole new person coming along with us! exciting.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
I used to be a LLL leader and I think meetings are wonderful. Each meeting has a topic which the leader talks about and then its open for discussion after.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I've been meaning to come back here and chat more with you all! It's been a busy couple weeks, and I had my parents here for a week long visit.

Today I made a little diaper cover! It's the first thing I've made for the baby, which is exciting. I used foldover elastic for the first time and didn't kill anyone so I guess I'll call that a win (can you tell it drove me a little nuts?)

Called to set up my 28 week appointment with my midwife along with the GD test. She said I was low-risk and could opt out of it if I wanted, so I did. Anyone else choosing not to test for GD?

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I used to be a LLL leader and I think meetings are wonderful. Each meeting has a topic which the leader talks about and then its open for discussion after.
Sounds awesome, I'm excited!! I'll try to go to one of the next ones in town in April or May.
@RachelCap that diaper cover sounds awesome!! What color?

We've been up in a hot air balloon! SOoo neat...we went in one on our mini-getaway-honeymoon right after our wedding and it was so cool to see the land that way, high up in the open air. Really felt like we were floating. BUT the air is REALLY HOT!!! I felt like the hairs on the top of my head were going to get singed :p

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Hot air balloons? Fun! I've only ever briefly been up in a tethered one, but my city has 'em every year and my sister used to be on the crew for one. She got some great photos.

I've been pretty busy the last few days - had an article due and tons of cooking. Now I'm in the middle of four projects: completing/renovating/fixing a bookshelf for the kids' room, finishing DD's quilt in time for her birthday, finishing a floor quilt for a baby shower gift, and finishing another baby shower gift - a quilted fabric alphabet. (So much fun, the alphabet! And a terrific way to use up fabric scraps.)

Unfortunately I have a kind of mental block about the quilt, which is the deadliniest item on the list. Guess I'll follow my usual procedure of waiting until panic kicks in and then completing the thing at lightning speed at the eleventh hour in a foul temper. It's my method. :p

Plus my sister's turning... um... 17? in a week, so I should make her a cake. And DH's birthday is four days after DD's, and I need to find him some presents (and a cake as well, and possibly a party). And DD's birthday cake is going to be a fancy castle cake, which will require Thought and Planning. In short, it's gonna be another busy week or two...

Incidentally, this bookshelf project is gonna be fun. I'm going very low-budget/eco-friendly/Pinterest and making the shelves out of pallets. I made one (and a half) with Dad yesterday, and today I used tea and steel wool dissolved in vinegar to stain it. Then the rest of the bookshelf (as in the casey bit, not the shelves) I'll paint with milk paint. If it works, I'll feel *very* smug; and if it doesn't, at least I won't have spent much.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Smokering, you are always so busy. If the bookshelf works, post photos!!

I like hearing about everyone's summer plans. This is the first summer in years when we don't have a big trip planned so it feels a bit strange. DH's dad is coming to visit in early to mid July, so we will probably go up to ********* to visit family for a few days while he's here, and DH's aunt will be in town also for most of the summer, but we don't really have anything major planned. One of our friends who lives in the States might be in Paris studying in August, so we're considering taking the wee baby on the Eurostar and visiting for a couple of days, but I don't love Paris on a good day so I might vote that out. Since this is our first, it's hard for me to have any idea how long it will take for us to feel like we're able to do things.

I went to a super-competitive, pushy baby sale over the weekend. It was one of the few resale events in the area (no consignment/resale shops here unfortunately) and people had such bad behaviour! Everything was cleaned out in about 5 minutes...it was like those stressful after Christmas sales. Ebay for me I guess!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Wow, all of you are so ambitious in your summer plans! We've got nothing scheduled yet and I'm very happy with that since the next few months will be so busy.

Right now I still have to actually paint, stencil and seal the nursery floor. Then paint the walls, install curtains and a second rod in the closet, assemble the crib and dresser, stain the changing table and put it all together.

This weekend I'm going to a kids' resale event, birth classes and a play and then over to my sister's to visit.

I don't like this balance of working through exhaustion but not so much I injure myself. By the time I get really going, I have to take a break. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
@SummerStorm22 - I think it ifs just different points in our lives, I'm not going to be busy with any baby prep stuff. We have gear, we have clothes, I know what I like and don't like n. There is no room to get ready.

But, I do have older kids who are used to doing stuff and we have traditions I don't want to stop.

Additionally, I am a sucky pregnant person (and already slacked off parenting the big kids the first 20 weeks), but I am awesome with the newborns and babies. Knowing this, I am able to know what well be able to handle this summer.

·
Registered
468 Posts
@SummerStorm22 - I think it ifs just different points in our lives, I'm not going to be busy with any baby prep stuff. We have gear, we have clothes, I know what I like and don't like n. There is no room to get ready.

But, I do have older kids who are used to doing stuff and we have traditions I don't want to stop.

Additionally, I am a sucky pregnant person (and already slacked off parenting the big kids the first 20 weeks), but I am awesome with the newborns and babies. Knowing this, I am able to know what well be able to handle this summer.

I'm sure I'll be fine in the end but being a FTM, it's hard for me to gauge how things really will be day to day. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm sure I'll be fine in the end but being a FTM, it's hard for me to gauge how things really will be day to day. :)
I think that's a good way to approach your first. Going in without firm expectations will help you be flexible & adjust to your own baby, which is going to be different from everyone else's baby!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Smokering I second perkier's request for a photo of the bookshelf if it turns out. Sounds really neat. Also - is the alphabet a quilt? Or stand-alone letters?? Sounds like an awesome project (I'm coming to expect no less from you...)
@perkier I'm so intrigued that you don't like Paris!! People speak so highly of it, and I've always wanted to go, and the more I hear about it, the more I want to go (parks, tiny streets, museums, cafes, etc.) How do London and Paris compare, for you? Is the Eurostar the train that goes under water? And that baby sale sounds no fun. Were you able to get anything, or was it a total bust? Hoping my consignment adventure in a few weeks is a bit less intense than that!!
@SummerStorm22 awww at getting going then needing a break. I hear you!! Though I don't think I've attempted anything near as ambitious as you have planned - just cleaning the couches/vacuuming and sweeping the floors before we had visitors last weekend was enough to leave me breathing heavily on the couch for several minutes :) Are you looking for anything particular at the resale, or just browsing to see if there's anything good?

AFM officially on spring break and officially SICK :( nasty cough/sore throat/fatigue. The weather keeps changing, so I think that's part of it. I'm hoping to get some solid rest in the next day or two so I'll be up for projects galore the rest of the week :)

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
Also - is the alphabet a quilt? Or stand-alone letters?? Sounds like an awesome project (I'm coming to expect no less from you...)
Stand-alone letters. Got the idea off Pinterest. I haven't finished the whole alphabet yet, but here's a pic:

It's really fun! You can use up a ton of scraps, and I'm really enjoying practicing my free-motion quilting (of course, it's far easier on a tiny square of fabric than it is on a real-life quilt, but I assume the practice will be at least somewhat useful anyway...) I'm backing the letters with denim (old jeans) - all the same, to make it easy to distinguish the front from the back. And then there's just a layer of batting in the middle - again, great for using up scraps - and the edges are pinked.

I'll probably end up doing two alphabets - a 'boy' one for me and a 'girl' one for a friend. The letters in the photos are a bit of both. I've done more 'boy' letters, but I'm really looking forward to embellishing the 'girl' ones with lace and buttons and the like!

The idea is, when the baby's small you can use them for photo props: lie the baby on the floor with his name spelled out over his head, or (if you have numbers as well as letters) do photos with '1 month', '2 months' etc. And the letters are washable and squashable, so when the baby's a bit bigger he can hold them and suck them and so on. And then when he's older they'll come in handy for letter recognition and spelling and so on.

Anyway, I'm mostly just making 'em because they're fun and cute. :) When I hear what the babies' names are going to be I'll add extra letters if I need to (like an extra R for Morris!), as well. My friend who's having the girl has already chosen a name, but I think she wants to keep it a secret. Though I guess I could always ask "Does your chosen baby name have two Es?" :p

Perkier: I'm curious about Paris too! I'm a foodie so I'd love to go; but my family went for a few days and were disgusted by the dirt. Apparently they found it really filthy, with people using the streets as urinals all over the place. Which really didn't fit with my mental image of glamorous Paree...

1 - 20 of 77 Posts