Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw another DDC do a monthly chat, which I thought would be nice because I know we are all busy mommas! We can definitely do the weekly chat though if everyone prefers that.

I'll start off by asking what everyone's plans are for birthing classes/techniques? My first birth was somewhat traumatic and not what I had wanted at all. I'm hoping to try out maybe Hypnobabies or Hypnobirthing this time around. They are both available in my area, including a lot of other natural childbirth classes. And definitely hiring a doula as well. Does anyone have any thoughts about the techniques they'll want to use or for you 2+ mommas what has worked for you?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I like both the monthly and weekly formats-both are great. :)

Although I've had three births so far, I don't have any real preference on a technique. I did love birthing in water for two of my children. That was wonderful and very calming.

I'm interested to read what others have benefited from. I'm going to try to be more intentional with this birth as far as focused breathing, etc.

·
Registered
591 Posts
There were no prenatal classes offered in my area for my first birth, so I read on my own. I wish something would have been available, but I loved the book, "Birth Partner". For my second birth, I used hypnobabies, and I focused on having an easy, quick birth, and the birth turned out to be scarily fast. Now, I am planning on using hypnobabies (self-study again), but I will focus on relaxing and easy rather than fast.

I have my anatomy scan in a few days, and I'm really excited. =) Today is 18w0d.

·
Registered
943 Posts
16w here. :) Been feeling a lot of annoying braxton-hicks lately...I guess it comes with the territory for 4th baby...
As far as birth techniques go...I'm planning on using hypnobirthing (so far I have the audio tracks - thanks ldserrano! need to figure out the written part of it still). I'm happy with 2 out of 3 of my previous births (the first was traumatic), I would just really love to be more in control of my mental panic button towards the end. Especially because I'm *hoping* to have a home birth and possibly have one or more of the kids there, I don't want to be in my typical "I can't do it! Get me a c-section! Don't TOUCH ME" mode. :) So yeah...it's hypnobirthing for me. I have said this before every birth (or at least the last two) that this time I will take it one ctx at a time, not get freaked out...but I think that I need to actually train my mind for the whole affair.

·
Registered
591 Posts
lightheartedmom: I too have been having braxton hicks and its been scaring me. I am more concerned about preterm labour because of the twins, even though I logically know that braxton hicks are normal.

Are others experiencing them? When did they first start for you?

·
Registered
245 Posts
lightheartedmom: I too have been having braxton hicks and its been scaring me. I am more concerned about preterm labour because of the twins, even though I logically know that braxton hicks are normal.

Are others experiencing them? When did they first start for you?
I haven't this time, but with my last pregnancy (2nd baby) I was already having them by 15-16 weeks. It scared me too, but she ended up being 10 days past her due date! I've wondered if it was from the RRL tea infusions I was drinking, so this time I'm going to wait until the 3rd trimester to start them.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
but I think that I need to actually train my mind for the whole affair.
I think this is what I'm going to have to focus on. I'm really good at letting my mind get the better of me but I know I just need to let go and trust my body.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I think this is what I'm going to have to focus on. I'm really good at letting my mind get the better of me but I know I just need to let go and trust my body.
Same here. My mind immediately feels a ctx and goes "Holy crap! I have to deal with how many of these? I cannot do it. I can't do it!!" Really I just need to stop that train of thought before it starts.

Anyone else getting migraines? I've been getting really awful ones that last for 2+ days. And they're especially bad because sleeping doesn't help. Usually I can sleep off a headache...but these just persist.
I finally broke down and took a tylenol a few days ago, but it makes me itch (internally? it's weird..I can't even explain) and I hate taking drugs anyway. Caffeine isn't helping either - that's what helped in previous pregnancies. Boo.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I haven't had migraines, LHM, but I have had bad headaches off and on the last few weeks. Sometimes if it's really bad it lasts through the night and into the next day. Because mine is related to an injury from an accident over 15 years ago, it is muscle/nerve and if I do anything like hold the phone to my ear, or reach for something up high, lift wrongly, wear high heels, etc. I get this. What helps me in a pinch is this roll-on herbal headache calmer made by Sumbody. It really does help. But for real pain, I take a high dose of Arnica (200) and try to lie still.

I know migraines are different so I don't know if any of that will help! I hope you feel better.

We interviewed "the" midwife (the only one licensed for HB in the area) last night in her home and I am trying to process all of the information! It's a little overwhelming. For those of you interviewing MW's, did you interview them in their home? Do you have certain things that you would expect in the home of your MW? This is all new to me b/c I have birthed with LNM at a birth center and never made a personal contact like this (i.e. seeing their home).

18 Weeks Today!

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I'm so sorry you guys are getting headaches! My sister gets migraines in pregnancy too, and even the idea makes me feel desperate and twitchy! Does accupressure/accupuncture or chiropractic care help?

What was different than you thought it would be at your potential midwife's house, srplayas? I've never met a midwife at her house, and as a midwife, I would never have clients in my home either. I could imagine if I had a separate entrance to a small office or something that was attached to my home though. It just seems like crossing a boundary I would rather maintain in care, somehow. But, I'm sure some midwives and some clients really love the intimacy of visits in the midwife's home! Did you like her? Make a decision about being in her care?
Actually, this is not entirely true! My midwife this time is one of my favorite people and a dear friend, and we meet in her home. But, sort of a different situation in that we were friends long before I came into her care.

I've got my fingers crossed for some jobs these days. Had two interviews today, and neither one looked twice at my enormous belly. It was very weird. Hoping one of them comes through though as we could really use the money!

I ordered some diapers the other day. Very exciting. We really love fitteds with wool covers, but I somehow got rid of *all* my diapers along the way. So, we're starting from scratch and not exactly flush with cash right now. So, prefolds and gifted wool covers it is. And, I let each of my kids pick an item of clothing off the clearance rack the other day. DD picked a gorgeous dress - she's really committed to a little sister!

Everywhere seems to have their carseats on sale this week, so we're seriously considering getting our new seat sooner rather than later. DD's seat will go to the new baby, so she needs a new one. She's a very lightweight 6, and could be in a simple booster, but I'd rather keep her harnessed for awhile longer. Decisions, decisions.

Otherwise, we have our kanoe (life saver!), a woven wrap, mei tai and ergo (still looking for a ring sling after losing my gorgeous one somewhere!), and need to snag a bouncy seat at some point. And, done. I'm counting on hand me downs and people gifting us for baby clothes. Although, the kid will be born at the peak of the summer so I guess we could make do with very little. How much clothing does a baby really need when it's super hot?!

How's everyone else's collecting going? Are you gathering things yet?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't usually get migraines during pregnancy but I second possible seeing the chiropractor. I will start seeing mine again here soon for adjustments. I tweaked my neck last summer that was giving me the worst headaches and after seeing the chiropractor consistently for a couple months, we were able to fix it. So possibly alignment issues or tight muscles? I've never had acupuncture but I've heard it's very beneficial.
@quantumleap I am sending you happy thoughts for your interviews! You are so on top of your baby plans too! I've only gotten so far as to think about getting a double stroller and whether or not DS will be ready for a toddler bed or if we'll have to get a second crib. I think that DS is still young enough that we should have an easy time transitioning to having a newborn around again though. My DS was born in July and he was pretty much naked for the first several months of his life :smile: It was so hot and I don't think he wore any of his newborn or 0-3 month clothes. Maybe I'll be able to get this next LO in some of those!

·
Registered
943 Posts
@quantumleap - fwiw, my oldest DD has always been on the light and wispy side - we bought the Clek Uber booster when she was 5 and really love it. It doesn't have a harness, but it's supposed to be good safety wise. Last year when she turned 8 we passed it down to 5yo DD2 (who is less light and wispy and taller too) and DD1 is now just in the big girl seat.

So...I had my appointment today with the doctor. I was worried about hearing the hb because I feel like baby has been really still lately. Thankfully we heard her pretty quickly (I'm going with her because I already have three girls...why not have a fourth, right?). The rest of the appointment was focused mostly on whether or not I'll do the 20wk scan. I've always opted out, mw I saw at last appointment was a little pushy about it and suggested I talk to a doc before making a decision. Fine, I made an appointment with one I'd met before who's been in the practice a lot longer than most of the midwives. She was super cool about everything, we talked about the pros and cons and I did tell her I'm thinking I'll do a quick scan around 32+ weeks. Bottom line, she was totally fine with me declining and very supportive. Yay.
BUT...my BP was way higher than normal. First check it was 134/86, second (at the end of the appointment) it was still 130/80. Normal for me at the office is <120/60. Normal at home is usually like 110/57. Having preeclampsia with two previous pregnancies, plus being overweight, plus the fact that I've been getting headaches lately...I now have something new to worry about. Doc wasn't worried at all, but since when was that going to stop me from worrying? Never.
I *did* have some coffee right before my appointment (within 1 hr), I was stressed about the whole hb thing and the u/s discussion and it was a stressful morning with the kids so it's very possible it was just those things. But I'm still worried. I know high BP is anything higher than 140/90, but those numbers were awfully close, and more importantly, high for me.

Any of the midwives here have any input? After my appt, I called and left a message with the doctor just to chat about it a little more...because I like to be high maintenance apparently. And I'm going to redouble my efforts to eat less sugar, less salt and more healthy - and to exercise. Because I've been super lazy lately.
Ugh.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
lightheartedmom, I'm sorry about the stress at your appointment. Glad you got to hear the little heartbeat!

quantum, the MW visit threw me off b/c the home environment felt unhygienic to me. She had her pet rodent's litter behind the couch and it was running loose. There were small coch. on the couch and on the floor. I hate that this bothers me. But still, it is really bothering me. What do you think of this?

The only other thing of real concern is that the MW has no MW or OB back-up. That is through our OBGYN. Considering this I must say that she has come on a stellar recommendation from a good friend and has served a great number of women in diverse situations all over this region (we live outside of the US)

I'm not really collecting much yet but after our U/S next week I think I will. We're finding out the gender. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
@lightheartedmom I hope that you can figure everything out! I was borderline preeclampsia toward the end of my last pregnancy and it's stressful. Maybe try some yoga? Or make sure you're taking some quiet time for yourself as well?
@sraplayas I'm sure that living abroad can have its difficulties. Maybe it's just the cultural differences that are throwing you off? If she's had good recommendations I would take that as a very good sign and maybe just trust that she's much better at her job then keeping her house clean...? :grin:

I finally pulled out my maternity clothes last night. I was 15 pounds heavier with my son so none of the pants or jeans fit me anymore :serious: those darn things are expensive so I've been searching online and I might try to check some secondhand stores nearby. I think with every pregnancy that you should be given a pile of maternity clothes, like they give out the baby boxes in Sweden. Maybe I'll start a petition on that...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
clar--I love your idea about giving moms maternity clothes! I am already into all of my clothes at 18 weeks and this is much sooner than with baby number three, even though I started at the same pre-pregnancy weight and have similar weight gain. Go fiugre. :(

I think your comment about the cultural differences is relevant. She lives on a small income, comes from a small town in South America, and serves a broad demographic of moms. So she deserves the benefit of the doubt. It was just such a shock to me! I'm still thinking the whole thing through and the issue of no back-up but feeling a little less panicked about the whole thing!

·
Registered
591 Posts
clar - I find that I need two sets of maternity clothes. Ones for the middle of the pregnancy and ones for the end. I too have clothes that don't fit me yet, but in a few more months with twins, I'm sure they'll work. Now I'm in maternity clothes too (all from the thrift shop), but they are much smaller than my later version.

I had my 18 week anatomy scan yesterday. It went really well. Babies are growing really well, cervix is long, with no signs of preterm later (which is good given how early it is), no soft markers, good position of placentas. And we found out we are having two boys. We have two girls now. Luckily we don' have qualms about newborn boys wearing pink sleepers (which we have a number of).

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay SplashingPuddle! That's wonderful news. And I've also decided that if we have a girl that she'll be wearing DS' baby clothes too :smile:

·
Registered
54 Posts
SplashingPuddle - congrats on the two boys! I have my anatomical scan on Tuesday and am really looking forward to finding out the sex. My partner is a teacher and was working during the times I did my previous US, but he's taking a day off and we'll be there together.

I received a pair of maternity pants from a friend, that have been a lifesaver, otherwise I'm always just walking around in sweat pants :) I should really buy another pair, before I compltely wear them out. It's been snowing and very cold here, so I can't wait for spring to wear dresses and skirts!

Also, I haven't bought anything yet for the baby! I'm part of a Latvian folk dance group and they threw me a surprise baby shower and got me a couple of items: onesies, wrap towels, wash cloths, wipes, soap, cream, some books, and an incredible handmade wooden sled (which the child can only use from 3 years old...but it's beautiful!) I really want to go as simple as possible with furniture and equipment that is necessary for the baby. I used to work at Once Upon a Child, a second hand kids store, and I know how much is available, and it can be overwhelming deciding what you actually NEED. What were/are your essentials?

It's really nice reading about everyone else's experiences and knowing that my crazy headaches are nothing out of the ordinary, that other women have the same experience. I'm a newbie at this so I just wanted to say thank you! :love

·
Registered
286 Posts
Clar5108 - Ross dress for less has maternity. I buy almost all my maternity from there. Jeans are $12-$20 and tops are $5-$10. Unless they just don't exist where one lives I don't know why anyone would buy new anywhere else. Anything else I have is thrifted. Hopefully you can find a Ross (or something comparable) in your area.

Lighthearted mom -I have no personal experience of pre-e but a friend had it last year and after looking into it for her I foud that the brewer diet is supposed to help prevent pre-e, it's high protien and low sugar. I had high BP on my last MW appt. 140/80 my BP is usually about 110/68 not pregnant and was never alarming last pregnancy. My MW told me to have a pharmacist at Walgreens check it this week so I upend my water by about a third and drank more raw milk and are protien at every meal and it was down to 125/79. I hope what I did do some good and that it stays low. I hope you find something that works for you!

AFM I'm starting to feel some infrequent but definite movent which is fun but I have gained the B belly which is not fun. DD's second birthday is a week from today so I'm preoccupied planning for that. The aches and pains are steadily creeping up. My hands are starting to go all tingly in certain reclining or laying positions depending on where baby is. My guess is I'm going to give birth to another bigun'. It's okay, I guess, my hips are perfect for it according to my MW.

I'm almost set with baby gear; I have a moby, ergo, linen wrap and ring sling, car seat, gender neutral newborn and 0-3 month clothes, a few baby toys, etc. I will definitely need one o those "baby holder" chairs (bouncy?), and I may need a bathtub, though after the first two or three baths I just bathed DD with me so I didn't use the tub much. I am debating on buying a sit 'n stand for my Britax b agile but I don't know how it works with such a low handle. I may just let DD use the stroller and wear lo#2. As I recall DD wasn't much for the stroller at such a young age and by the time LO#2 wants to use te stroller DD should be walking most of the time at the zoo (the only time I use the stroller) anyway. If I was due tomorrow it would be okay.

I'm just hopeful that my BP stays low and that I'm eating well enough. I hope to feel movement more and more often and that my bump turns into a D soon :)

1 - 20 of 65 Posts