Mothering Forum banner

81 - 85 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

First I want to say that I'm glad that you're reaching out and looking for information. I'm glad that you're being so honest and sharing with everyone. I'm also glad that you've decided to quit these last days of your pregnancy and are successfully able to manage your anxiety with your own coping skills. I will apologize in advance for how long my response will be. I have a sneeky suspicion I have a lot to say :wink:

Okay. So, in regards to your anxiety. There are lots of qualified, successful therapists who are trained to help clients manage their anxiety without medication. One of the common evidence-based practice methods is cognitive-behavior therapy. You have to find a therapist/counselor that you connect with. You can also find a lot of self-help resources like workbooks and exercises online and in book stores that help you manage/cope with anxiety.

Marijuana and pregnancy and CFS. CFS usually will not get involved unless there is reason or suspicion to be involved. The hospital also wouldn't do drug tests unless they suspected something. The side effects of marijuana use on a fetus can be related to birth weight, size, some facial features, neuro-cognitive functioning, and mental health. "Evidence does suggest that prenatal exposure to
cannabis (particularly heavy exposure) has subtle adverse effects, beginning at approximately three years of age, on subsequent cognitive functioning,
behaviour, substance use, and mental health in offspring."

Marijuana stays in your system for a while, especially if you are a heavy and chronic user. There are also other variables such as activity level, metabolism, etc. The THC stays in your fat cells, that's why it stays in your system for so long. If you are a chronic, heavy user I'd say it can stay in your system for a minimum of 30 days. It can take up to 90 days to leave your system. Also depends on the type of drug test that is used. A blood test will detect the drug for a much longer period than a urine test will.

I unfortunately can't speak on mid-wives or anything because I am not an American. However, I would put this thought out there. Do you want to risk the health of you and your baby by having an at home pregnancy by yourself to try and avoid getting a drug test? I'm not being judgemental by asking that question. I'm just putting the thought out there as another angle or way of looking at when making a decision.

I understand you must be feeling like you're in a very scary position. I hope that you are able to access the supports you need in order to make the best decisions for you and your unborn baby.

I wish you luck and send love and light!

http://www.ccsa.ca/Resource Library/ccsa0117832009_e.pdf

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know a lot of other mamas have offered good advice (although I haven't been patient enough to read through all 9 pages), but I just wanted to offer some words of encouragement! I struggle with anxiety also, and I know how quickly those terrible hypothetical situations can grow into huge monsters. I don't want to say "don't worry" but as other people have said, unless the hospital has reason to suspect you of child endangerment I highly doubt they will take the extra time, cost, etc. to do the testing and even further, file all the paperwork and such that it takes to incriminate you. Smoking a little weed isn't going to make you appear as a highly suspicious criminal. Just remember that you don't have to tell officials anything. I have personally had doctors tell me that marijuana has little to no effect on an unborn child. You know what's best for your baby. When those thoughts pop into your head recognize them for what they are--useless and extreme. Don't let your mind convince you that you're not capable of handling difficult situations. Find some solice, sit with those bad feelings but don't let them take over--your baby can feel all that negativity! I can almost guarantee you will have an incredible birth and go home with your healthy little one with no interference. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would not use too much tobacco or alcohol during pregnancy. This will definitely harm the child inside. I only used marijuana 2 times during my pregnancy. My husband bought this for me here weedsmart.net to help me cope with the intense stress of pregnancy. It really helped and I didn't do any more harm to my child. I didn't drink alcohol and didn't smoke a single cigarette, but I needed medical marijuana because the stress level was really high. I believe that a good mother should protect her child as much as possible during pregnancy.

81 - 85 of 85 Posts