Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on making lots of marinara sauce this next weekend and canning it. I have not really done this before and am wondering if anyone out there has favorite recipes?? Or since I am not so much a recipe following kind of cook, favorite ingredients works too!

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
There's a recipe in my cookbook. It will be ideal for you since it is very loose about measurements!
My favorite optional ingredients are zucchini and mushrooms.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Hey. I'm from Portland, too. But I'm overseas right now ... I still think I can recall our fave marinara recipe. It makes a huge batch and we make it once every month or two then freeze it in canning jars or plastic bags and eat it about once a week. Trader Joes has excellent gnocchi, if you're interested in something different with it.

Here's the recipe. We're veg, so it is too. It comes from a friend who got it from a friend's Italian grandmother -- family recipe.

Saute one large onion (chopped) with 8-12 cloves of garlic (that's my change -- we love garlic) (minced) until the onion is transluscent.

Add 12 oz. of tomato paste and a tablespoon of sugar. Saute for a few minutes.

Add about 6 pounds of canned tomatoes. You can get 3 of the 32-ounce cans or the huge one at Costco. I get diced these days for ease. But the recipe calls for, and this is also really yummy, taking whole peeled and pureeing them in the blender.

At the same time, add 1 tablespoon of each of hte following: dried parsley, dried oregano, and dried basil.

Also, add about a cup of reggiano or romano or your favorite.

Then, cook it on low heat for 1.5-2 hours or so.

They you'll be "aw dunnn" as my son says. Enjoy!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! Both of these sound fabulous! Perhaps I will make a batch of both!

EnviroBecca--I think I will try some of the other recipes from your cookbook too. I have been feeling in a cooking rut, so it will be nice to work some new stuff in there! They all look delicious!
Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.