Mothering Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm forwarding this from my chemical injury support group. Very important topic - I know in my son's school I've heard that they have sprayed pesticides during the school day in the past. In another case, two girls were severely chemically injured in Anne Arundel County by pesticides used in their school. Maryland schools are at least supposed to put interested parents on a pesticide alert list for when applications are planned but I'm guessing this isn't often done.<br><br>
-Barbara<br><br>
<<As pest control in our communities, schools and homes is a major concern, please consider attending this free symposium and sharing this information with those who are responsible for or impacted by pest control and decisions on pest control (both structural and turf). Good News...you can now register via emai. Again, please consider attending the Maryland Children's Environmental Health and Protection Advisory Council's (CEHPAC)<br><br>
Symposium on Maryland's Children and Pesticides<br>
Wednesday, June 2,2010 (9:00am - 3:30pm)<br>
Horowitz Visual & Performing Arts Center at<br>
Howard Community College<br>
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway<br>
Columbia, Maryland<br><br>
The Symposium is free, but registration is required.<br><br>
Mail your application to:<br>
Pesticide Symposium<br>
Maryland Children’s Environmental Health and Protection Advisory Council<br>
c/o Tanisha Knight<br>
201 West ******* Street<br>
Baltimore, MD 21201<br>
(410) 767-6234/Fax (410) 333-5995<br><br>
Or to register by email send information requested below under "Registration Information" to:<br><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><br><br>
This symposium aims to bring together parents, public health professionals, agricultural and environmental experts, policy makers, advocates, and others to discuss the complex relationships between pesticide usage in the State and the health of Maryland’s children. If you cannot accesses the flyer, please let me know and I will email you the pdf. Maryland Depratment of the Environment (MDE) has posted the symposium as an event under the "MDE Calendar" tab on its home page (<a href="http://www.mde.state.md.us/" target="_blank">http://www.mde.state.md.us/</a>). The direct link to the event announcement is <a href="http://www.mde.state.md.us/AboutMDE/calendar/event06022010b.asp" target="_blank">http://www.mde.state.md.us/AboutMDE/...t06022010b.asp</a> The direct link to the flyer is <a href="http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/document/Children_and_Pesticides_Flyer_06-02-2010.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/do...06-02-2010.pdf</a><br><br>
Please share this invitation with anyone you think may be interested in atttending. Again, the Symposium is free, but registration is required.<br><br>
Advocating for Every Child,<br>
...Veronika Carella<br>
MD CEHPAC (2010 nominee)<br>
School IPM 2015 NE School IPM Workgroup Steering Committee Member<br>
School IPM 2015 Regulatory Committee Member<br><br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>
SYMPOSIUM ANNOUNCEMENT:<br><br>
MARYLAND’S CHILDREN AND PESTICIDES<br><br>
. . .<br><br>
Wednesday, June 2, 2010 9 AM — 3:30 PM<br><br><br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
The goals of this symposium are:<br><br>
1. Bring together parents, public health professionals, agricultural and environmental experts, policy makers, advocates, and others to discuss the complex relationships between pesticide usage in the State and the health of Maryland’s children.<br><br>
2. Discuss the latest scientific understanding of pesticide use, human exposure, and health outcomes data specifically related to children.<br><br>
3. Identify gaps in current scientific knowledge and research about pesticides and children’s health.<br><br>
4. Discuss the implications of the current pesticide evidence base for Maryland’s children.<br><br>
Who Should Attend:<br><br>
People interested in children’s health and health care, the environment, pesticide use and alternatives to pesticides<br><br>
Horowitz Visual & Performing Arts Center at<br>
Howard Community College<br>
10901 Little Patuxent Parkway<br>
Columbia, Maryland<br><br>
Preliminary Symposium Topics:<br><br>
- Keynote Address by the Honorable James W. Hubbard, Assistant Majority Leader, House of Delegates<br><br>
- Human Health Effects of Pesticides in Children: A Clinician’s Perspective<br><br>
- Pesticides in Maryland: Current Knowledge Base<br><br>
- Perspectives on Pesticide Regulation<br><br>
- Panel: Biomonitoring<br><br>
- Panel: Implications of the Current Evidence Base: What Does it Mean for Maryland’s Children?<br><br>
- Practical Strategies for Maryland’s Children<br><br><br>
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br>
Registration Information:<br><br>
There is no fee for registration but attendance is limited. Registration will be on a first-come, first-served basis. If you are interested in registering for this one-day symposium, please mail this form to the address given below.<br><br>
Name: ____________________________<br><br>
Address: __________________________<br><br>
City, State, Zip: _____________________<br><br>
Phone: ____________________________<br><br>
Email: _____________________________<br><br>
Optional: If you belong to a community organization or association, please list it here: __________________________________________________ _____________<br><br>
Mail your application to:<br>
Pesticide Symposium<br>
Maryland Children’s Environmental<br>
Health and Protection Advisory Council<br>
c/o Tanisha Knight<br>
201 West ******* Street<br>
Baltimore, MD 21201<br>
(410) 767-6234/Fax (410) 333-5995<br><br>
Or to register by email send Registration Information to:<br><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><br><br>
END OF EMAIL>>

1 - 1 of 1 Posts