Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are you giving birth?
Are you using a midwife or OB or having a U/C?
If you've previously given birth, who did you use, and where did you deliver? And were you happy with your experiences?

I'm hoping for a homebirth this time around. I have a consult scheduled with Evelyn M., and put a call into Karen C. to try to get an interview.

I had my son at Special Beginnings Birth Center in Arnold. It was a pretty good experience, but I hated having to wake up and drive home at 2:00 AM. I feel ready for a homebirth!

I'm curious about the other Maryland moms in this DDC. What are your plans?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Using Birthcare in Alexandria, VA and having a homebirth. Just encouraged Elle to join me there. They are awesome! No way, under any circumstances, should you go to Maternity Center in Bethesda--stay away from there! It's toxic!

Birthcare only takes 20-25 per delivery month, so you'll want to start going as soon as possible, if you choose them. Be cool to have you join us!

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm all the way up in northern A.A. County - between Annapolis and Baltimore - so Birthcare is probably a bit out of my range. I've heard good things about them, though!

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I'm delivering at Washington Co. Hospital with an OB and have heard nothing but good stuff from them. Of course you never hear the bad till it's too late anyway.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I went with the Maternity Center in Bethesda for DD in 2002. The midwives were wonderful, and even when I had to transfer to Shady Grove, the midwife went with me and delivered my daughter. The doc came in and introduced himself, and I never saw him again. All things considered, the Maternity Center was awesome!

Judi

·
Registered
580 Posts
Well, I'm in the Dec 06 ddc, but I'm in Maryland! I had some problems in the beginning of the pregnancy, (lots of bleeding & cramping, either threatened miscarriage or miscarriage of a twin), so I'm under the care of an OB. I'll be delivering at Shady Grove hospital. My ds had surgery there a few months ago, and it seems really nice, for a hospital and all! Anyway, my OB is terrific. He specializes in high-risk, but is really for non-interventions as much as possible.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tumblebeee
I am thinking of using Maternity Center because they are closer than BirthCare. What is so toxic about them?
Well, I think all you have to do is call for your first appointment and find out how rude the office staff is (not just my experience, MsElle07 had issues with them, too).

Long story short (if possible): had bad UTI with blood about 8-10 months ago. Called to ask something be called in. Stacy said I had to come in and give a sample before she'd call something in. Very difficult to get there (no car, was at work, had coworker drive me...took 1.5 hours to get there). After giving the sample she said she couldn't call anything in until after they received the results--on Monday...five days later!!! (come to find out, that's just wrong...a midwife told me after the fact that they would've called something in). I had my PCP call something in because no way was I waiting five days!

Also, when I m/c in March, I really didn't like how I was treated there. In a nutshell: argument with office staff when I called the morning I started to m/c, morning of my appointment after m/c the midwife "did not know she was scheduled to work" and I had to wait an hour for her to show up, lousy answers to my questions (one answer: "It's complex" That's it!) back for follow up appointment and sat in the room with a different midwife while she took a routine phone call for ten minutes, and I had to call them 3 times to get my HCG results. Oh, and Stacy can't seem to take my blood without throughly bruising my arm. I've witnessed the front office and Stacy being rude and condescending to other patients as well.

Don't go by my word...find out yourself! No way would I ever go back there again. I had been going there for about four years for routine GYN care. It may have been peachy-keen 4 years ago (and wasn't horrible for me until about a year ago), but it sure has changed.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
I had my first son at George Washington Hospital in Washington, DC and I REALLY REALLY don't recommend them.

I had my second son at Howard County Hospital (with a joint Midwife/Physician practice) and overall it was a decent experience. I am planning to deliver my third child there with the midwives.

BJ
Barney & Ben

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well, my experience with the Maternity Center was drastically different. Granted, that was in 2001/2002, so time has passed, and I know there has been some turn over, new midwives etc. I had the opposite experience with them. When I had a yeast infection about midway through, I just called, got right on the phone with the midwife, and she said describe what your symptoms, and told me to go get some monistat. She didn't burden me with having to come in (I lived in Alexandria and worked in SW, DC) for an exam or anything.

I have small veins that hide deep, and never had any difficulty with blood draws.

I don't know if Michelle is still there, but she ended up delivering Claire, and she was a blessing. I started off with Jan, and she was a little lacking in bedside manner, but Michelle was wonderful. She really maintained control of everything at the hospital, prevented the nurse from dumping the whole dose of pitocin into my IV, let me sleep, when I was finally fully dilated (oh, about 36 hours later), she had me go to sleep for 1/2 an hour. Claire was out in 3 pushes in less than 15 minutes, and I only had the tiniest of tears thanks to the perineal massage and Michelle really guiding the baby out slowly.

But, things change, staff changes. I tried the place on King Street in Alexandria, and just didn't get warm fuzzies from them. I also tried calling the place in Arnold (because we lived in St. Michaels when the baby was due), but I could never get them on the phone (which made me wonder what would happen when I went into labor).

So we opted for the 2.5 hour drive to Bethesda from St. Michaels to go to the Maternity center. Also, their OB, should you have to have him deliver you, is really really great (and not hard on the eyes, either
: )

FWIW,
Judi

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I am in the April DDC
due 3/30 or 31 but DD was late, so I assume I'll deliver in April.

I had DD in Tennessee, but am planning a homebirth/waterbirth with just DH, DD and I. I am getting prenatal care at the Kaiser in Towson. They were very nice and saw me righ away when I m/c in MArch, and the Doctor stayed in touch.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twilight girl
Well, my experience with the Maternity Center was drastically different. Granted, that was in 2001/2002, so time has passed, and I know there has been some turn over, new midwives etc. I had the opposite experience with them. When I had a yeast infection about midway through, I just called, got right on the phone with the midwife, and she said describe what your symptoms, and told me to go get some monistat. She didn't burden me with having to come in (I lived in Alexandria and worked in SW, DC) for an exam or anything.

Well, obviously some people are having good experiences at Maternity Center or else they wouldn't still be open. I had good experiences there in 2002, too, but not lately. I gave them several chances to prove themselves and they failed miserably. Also, it's way too clinical (hospital, doctor-like) for both me and my husband. I lost all confidence in them after my m/c and was no longer comfortable being in their care. I figured if they are going to treat me like that when I'm an emotional wreck, I really worried how they would treat me when I was laboring. I wondered if the condescending attitudes I encountered would continue through a pregnancy and I didn't care to find out.

BTW, many of the midwives at Birthcare worked at Maternity Center in some capacity at some point in time.

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just wanted to update: I met my dream midwife! She's a CPM in Baltimore, and I think she's perfect for me! I'm going to find a way to pay her (if insurance won't cover it), and start seeing her soon!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by didkisa
Using Birthcare in Alexandria, VA and having a homebirth. Just encouraged Elle to join me there. They are awesome! No way, under any circumstances, should you go to Maternity Center in Bethesda--stay away from there! It's toxic!

Birthcare only takes 20-25 per delivery month, so you'll want to start going as soon as possible, if you choose them. Be cool to have you join us!

I'm not in MD, I'm in NOVA, but I wanted to say I'm using Birthcare too!!! I love them! In fact, I should give them a call tomorrow!

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Cool!! Maybe you, MsElle07, and I can start going for appointments on the same day!
We'll both be there August 17th, between 3 and 4.

Did you have your other DC there? (BTW, your kids are adorable!
)

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Yeah, Alice (one of the founding midwives there) caught DD#2. I just love them!!! I'll have to try and get an appointment on that day....I'll let you know if I'll be there too! My DS was born at home in Colorado and DD#1 was born, unfortunately and due to a rotten apendix, at the National Naval Medical Center.

(thanks for the compliment about the kiddos...i think they're pretty darn cute, but then again, I made them....ha ha ha)

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
I've delivered two babies w/ the Maternity Center. The first one, four years ago, was a planned hospital birth at Shady Grove. I was very happy with my prenatal care and the delivery experience. (Shady Grove hospital is another story. Please, for the love of God, avoid it like the plague.) Second baby, two years ago, was at the Mat Center birth center. Another mostly positive experience.

However, after the birth of my DD, there was a huge turnover -- the result of an internal conflict. Every SINGLE ONE of their midwives left (like 6 of them), with the exception of Janet Lobatz, who took over the position of director and doesn't do births any more. Their entire front office staff left. Both of their nurses left. (I used to love their front office and nurses. They would know who you were, call you by your first name, ask you how you were feeling. It felt very personalized.)

I've continued going there for my GYN care, because it's close, but noticed a complete about-face when their newest front office staff and nurse came on board. They are SO incredibly rude.

The person who answered the phone was just atrocious. I was essentially trying to leave a message to have a midwife call me back. That's all. I understand they're busy and have set call back times. That's all I wanted. The woman actually raised her voice to me.

I went in for my first appt, and there was the rude person answering the phones in the exact same way for all the other callers. Etc. The midwife I met with a few weeks ago was nice enough, but the appts are very short -- almost like what you would expect at an OB's office. 10-15mn, tops. It doesn't really fit with midwifery care, in my mind.

They have all the midwife's pictures up in the office, and every year when I go in for my annual, most of them have changed. They can't keep people on staff. The only picture that was the same from last year was Janet Lobatz.

I think they have like 8 or 9 midwives now, and so you will someone different for every 15mn visit. You will meet a handful of the midwives twice before your birth. So there's a high likelihood that the person attending your birth will be someone you've met one time.

I also don't care for the director. She is the one midwife who's remained constant throughout all of my experience there, and she is by far, the most medical, the least "natural" midwife, and it bothers me that she is now the director. She's pretty pro-epidural, pro-hospital birth. The Maternity Center's C-section rates and hospital transfer rates are far higher than BirthCare's. (BirthCare has a 4% C-section rate, I think the Mat Center was more like 17%, last time I checked.) I think because the midwives have hospital admitting priveleges and a higher percentage of births take place there, you are more likely to end up with a high-intervention birth.

Do a search for Maternity Center -- there are a number of threads floating around about people with very negative experiences.

Shady Grove hospital is another subject altogether -- do a search for that too. Badbadbadbadbad.

ETA: sorry, not in your DDC, just thought I would share.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Thank you for sharing, Artisan! It just reinforces my decision to switch to Birthcare.

BTW, Janet was the midwife I saw after the u/s after the m/c that took a phone call with me in the room twiddling my thumbs (as she led us back to the room: "I guess I'll be the bearer of bad news..." once in the room, "excuse me, I have to take this phone call" that actually could've waited until she delivered the bad news!) No empathy at all...and the unfortunate thing was that she was the best encounter I had there in the last year!
:

It actually helps a great deal to have a "silver lining" to the m/c in March...I was able to see that I needed to find a new place to go for prenatal--and I realized how much better a homebirth will be for me! So, guess I gotta give 'em credit there! They helped me "see the light!"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts