Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband and I make soaps and bath oils to sell, so we have a pretty good stock of EO in the house. I was thinking of making up some massage oil for labor, but I'm wondering what fragrances would be good. I know lavender is an easy one, since it's calming, but I thought I would ask you all if you've ever used such a thing and what was most pleasant smelling during labor (or least so).

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am a doula and my primary massage oil is coconut oil, it works so well rarely dries out and acts as a great base for eo. I have combination oils ready for what moms may need. I use lavendar and tangerine oil for a cleansing smell, relaxing smell, and lemongrass and pepperment to promote contractions and ease nausea.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I LOVE coconut oil. I will definitely have it on hand. I think I will end up using it as the baby's primary lotion too.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I'd look at the MountainRoseHerbs.com selection of massage oils and "steal" some of their ideas. I'm a huge fan of lavender myself. Peppermint and sage are supposed to combine well for transition/pushing energy.
Let us know what you come up with!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies so far. I don't think I have any coconut oil for a base, but I usually use grapeseed or almond as a base. I'll probably concoct a couple different formulas to have on hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.