Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I need some help from you wise mamas...<br><br>
Yesterday afternoon my left breast started feeling sore so I expressed all the milk thinking it might be a plugged duct (I had one before three years ago when my ds was a newborn but none since). I never found a lump but immediately when I finished I got REALLY COLD and started feeling sick (I actually had to take a hot bath to get back to a normal temperature).<br><br>
By this morning I had a low fever (never higher than 38C) and a terrible headache, and my breast was red but, again, no lump. Besides getting my dd to nurse constantly all day I have been expressing, massaging in the warm shower, using warm compresses, and eating raw garlic.<br><br>
I'm feeling much better now (no more headache, no aches) but my breast is still red and sore (maybe just from all the massages?) and I still have a fever (37.5).<br><br>
Should I continue like this tomorrow if I'm still feeling okay? Or should I see my OB? I'm afraid she's just going to put me on antibiotics which I REALLY don't want but I don't want this to get out of hand, either.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't know...is there a midwife or a lactation consultant you could talk to? I understand what you mean about not wanting to be on antibiotics, but not wanting it to get out of hand either. When dd was first born, I had a clogged duct at least once a week for about 6 weeks, and I was always able to feel a definite lump. Does your whole breast feel hard? If so, it seems more likely that it's mastitis. It wouldn't hurt to call your OB and get an antibiotic and just not take it if you feel better. That way you would have it if you started to feel really bad (and mastitis can make you feel REALLY bad). I started out with mastitis before I got all the clogged ducts, and it was not at all fun.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's the weird thing, is that none of my breast is hard; it's totally soft with no hard spot or lumps at all as far as I can feel. It's morning now (I live overseas and it's not easy to find a midwife where I am) and I'm feeling fine except for a slight headache which my morning coffe is quickly helping...my breast is still a little sore and red but it's not anything terribly painful...I don't know what to think.

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Sounds like a minor case of mastitis to me. The chills and general malaise are pretty distinctive. If I were you, I'd do all the immune-boosting you can--vitamin C (I take 1000 mg twice a day when I am fighting mastitis), garlic, tons of clear fluids (but NOT supply boosting herbs!), etc. I also try to make sure I eat plenty of foods with plentiful iron, B's, and protein, as for me mastitis usually comes on from being generally run-down and depleted. Spend the day kicked back in bed with the baby, or preferably with a good book and a blanket and the baby being brought to you for feedings. Unimaginable luxury for most of us, I know.<br><br>
FWIW you don't HAVE to take antibiotics for mastitis. My doctor has said if it's starting to get better after 24-36 hours she's not inclined to prescribe anything except rest, fluids, and vitamin C.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so there was pus in there today so I'm going to go ahead with the antibiotics. I'm very lucky to have a MIL who watched the kids all day yesterday while I rested so I feel sooo much better.<br><br>
On a totally unrelated subject my nursling needed antibiotics, too, for some bacteria that got into some eczema on her neck and I've been putting it off trying to find other ways to fight it but it turns out I can take the antibiotic for the mastitis and it will cure her, too, so I guess it's for the best. We'll be doing lots of probiotics around here for a while...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts