Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(x-posted in Breastfeeding)<br><br>
Okay I need some help from you wise mamas...<br><br>
Yesterday afternoon my left breast started feeling sore so I expressed all the milk thinking it might be a plugged duct (I had one before three years ago when my ds was a newborn but none since). I never found a lump but immediately when I finished I got REALLY COLD and started feeling sick (I actually had to take a hot bath to get back to a normal temperature).<br><br>
By this morning I had a low fever (never higher than 38C) and a terrible headache, and my breast was red but, again, no lump. Besides getting my dd to nurse constantly all day I have been expressing, massaging in the warm shower, using warm compresses, and eating raw garlic.<br><br>
I'm feeling much better now (no more headache, no aches) but my breast is still red and sore and I still have a fever (37.5). BUT I also expressed what might have been some pus this morning (sorry--yuck)<br><br>
So my question is, if it really was pus does that mean that I broke through the duct and I'm going to be getting better? Or does it mean that I'm going to have to be on antibiotics no matter what because it's infected? I'm going to the doctor this afternoon but I want to be armed with as much info as possible if I don't absolutely have to be on an antibiotic.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I've never expressed pus during an infection, though that doesn't mean you didn't. Could it have been thickened milk from the plug?<br><br>
I would keep doing everything you're doing, nurse as much as possible on the affected breast, change nursing positions to empty out all of the ducts thoroughly (try having your dc's chin placed towards the affected area), wear no bra or anything constricting, rest as much as possible and if it is still sore in a couple of days maybe consider antibiotics.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know that's what my doc said, too, that it was probably thickened milk, but it sure looked like pus to me. I guess I'll probably have to do the antibiotics. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Dr Sears has a nice bit about whether you're likely to need antibiotics or not:<br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">The following guidelines can help you both determine whether or not you need an antibiotic.<br><br>
You may not need an antibiotic in the following situations:<br><br>
* You do not have a history of frequent episodes of mastitis.<br>
* You don't feel that sick.<br>
* You have not gotten progressively sicker over the last few hours.<br>
* Your fever is not rising.<br>
* The breast pain and tenderness is not increasing.<br>
* You can easily correct whatever factors may have set you up for engorgement in the first place.<br><br>
Signs suggesting you do need antibiotic treatment:<br><br>
* A history of frequent mastitis<br>
* A fever that is rising.<br>
* You are feeling progressively sicker as the hours go by.<br>
* Your nipples are cracked, which allows bacteria to get into your breast tissue more easily.<br></td>
</tr></table></div>
<a href="http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022200.asp" target="_blank">http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T022200.asp</a><br><br>
Don't jump for the antibiotics too fast unless it really sounds like you need them. I've had mastitis three times, I think, and twice it cleared without abx.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts