Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm battling the nastiest case of mastitis i've had yet. Compared to my previous cases, this one is a doozy. all the other one's I've had (before I realized that my bra size had went up from like a "C" to like, a "I", and decided to order a couple new nursing bras) were just a little tiny bit of redness, a little, barely noticable fever, a couple vague body aches, and then, by the time I would make a doctor's appointment, it would all clear up.

I had not had one in quite a long while since I got my new, size I cup nursing bra. But it was so expensive, I could only afford to get one at the time, and when that one got dirty (thanks to living with a toddler) and I was visiting my mom for a few days, I had no choice but to pull out my other too small ones to wear. (
Ok, yes, I'll admit most of the time at home, I'm walking around topless anyway. So I only had to use my bra when I went somewhere, and when I was at my mom's house, I was wearing a bra alllll day long, so that may have made a difference....

Anyhow, before I knew what was going on, I got back home was battling some awful chills, a very high fever, and flu-like body aches, nausea, and a loss of appetite, the likes of which I had not seen since my pregnant days. All of that is gone now, and now I am left with a huge swollen red....thing (I would say "knot" but is larger than a knot..) underneath my breast. Is it going to go down? Won't my body heal itself?

My husband just got a new job, and health insurance starts on Monday, so I was trying to treat it at home, at least until then....

Since I feel much better than I did the other day, should I be extremely concerned? I let my baby nurse on that side as much as possible...

·
Registered
427 Posts
I developed horrible mastitas after we brought our daughter home fom the hospital. I ended up in the ER. They gave me an antibiotic to help with the infection. They encouraged me to pump as much as I could on that side. (EPing after two weeks in the NICU). I was also told to apply warm compresses as often as I could. I walked around with hot washclothes on my breast much of the time. My entire breast was as hard as a rock. It took a few days before it started to go down but it did eventually go away and my milk production is just fine (on both sides).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts