Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For photos, of course. Not sure this is the right place to post this.

We haven't had family photos taken in a long time (as in, since the now 8-year old twin DS and DD were babies and the 14-month old DD has NEVER had a professional photo taken). We have a wonderful photo with all 4 grandparents when the twins were babies, and planned on getting one taken while the current toddler was a baby, but somehow time got away from us.

So I'm trying to organize these photos and DH said he'd like our kids to have matching outfits. Mostly, our kids wear thrift store and hand-me-downs, so finding clothes for everyone that go together is a bit challenging, but I don't buy kids' clothes. So now I've been trying to find collections that match. And of course, if I'm going to buy NEW, I'd rather have organic cotton. But everything I've found either costs more than we spend on clothes in a year, or the boys outfits are really boring or ugly (or both).

Does anyone have ideas? Doesn't have to be organic, but preferred. Doesn't have to "match" but colors/patterns that go together is what I want.

Thanks!

·
Registered
131 Posts
When we had family photos taken, we just all wore same colored shirts (black) with jeans. It turned out really sharp & wouldn't be totally impossible to do with used items.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Hanna Andersson has cute coordinating family outfits, but the price is quite high. I think I'd go for jeans/khakis and coordinating tops. I think even just all shades of one color would look nice--that would make it easier for at least some of the shirts to come from thrift stores. Maybe pick your favorite solid colored shirt from your wardrobe and work from there?

Catherine

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
I second Hanna Andersson. BTW most photographers will not recommend matching outfits, but instead coordinating outfits - like everyone wears shades of blue or all the girls wear one color and the boys another complementary color.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I do this every year for our holiday pictures.

Denim jackets with white t shirts
Red sweaters
green sweaters
plaids

Just start early and know your sizes. I've never had to pay much.. I can usually round it up from thrift stores.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
I agree with others who say don't match exactly -- then people tend to "blend" into each other. You could do the girls in rose and the boys in brown, for instance.

For our Christmas photo, DD and I wore cream and DH and DS wore orangey-reds. Sounds weird but looked really great!
-e

·
Registered
8,777 Posts
If you go to a store that runs themes, you should be able to find coordinating outfits for every one. Gymboree will do this.

Also many stores just kind of have a look, so even if the outfits don't technically match/coordinate, they will be of the same style and color palette. Le Petite Batue come to mind (though I'm personally not a fan.)

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Kelly's Kids has super cute matching family clothes - but very casual. I am not one for matchy matchy but I so like the mom dresses that I'm really considering doing summer pictures as family this year. We've never done professional family photos. I like the Boho and Madras prints. I'm hoping we can make a beach trip and FINALLY have some good pics of us together.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I confess that I am drawn to the mom/daughter matching outfits. I like Hanna Andersen, but I"m not going to pay that much.

We did a big family photo (our family, our parents, my brother's family) and we all wore jeans plus a solid color long-sleeved top. That was it because we weren't going to get cooperation beyond that. Some people wore turtlenecks, others sweaters, etc. The photo looks great. There is something unifying about it without the whole thing looking too kitschy.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
My favorite family photo we all wore white shirts (DH was in a button down, I was in a maternity top, and DS was in a white polo) and khakis (DS wore khaki overalls). We coordinated, but didn't match and it turned out really well. All of these would have been easy to find at a thrift store.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Another vote to find similar colours, without exactly matching.

We've used
-cream shirts/sweaters and khakis
-black shirts/blue denims
-white polos and blue jeans
-light blue oxford cloth collared shirts/blue denims

Easy to find, even second-hand. They are basic and classic, so the photos look less dated too. The kids are comfortable in khakis or jeans, which is a bonus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.