Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never wear tight clothes & the in thing seems to be the darn tops being spandex-ish & tight over your tummy..the alternative seems to be geriatric flower prints or the high waistline fru fru shirts which just aren't me either.

Urgh. Okay getting off my
now, 2 hours of looking in stores for something that I wouldn't mind being seen in was just too much I guess.

:

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
shopping for maternity clothes has reduced me to tears. The selection is so limited. It seems like everything is either way too revealing (spandex tight and low cut) or too matronly. I don't want to look like a teenager and I don't want to look like I'm 60. I've searched high and low for something in between. I did find some basic T-shirts (that are loose for now!) and jeans/khakis onsale at jc penney last night

I don't want to look like a sofa, and I"m sure as heck not wearing polyester in the summer. Not to mention it seems like the quality of most garments is so poor for the price. In some stores I passed up items that were kind of cute because the quality was so crappy.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Ditto everything, and also nothing FITS now. I was nearly in tears last Monday when I went shopping for maternity. For one thing, no one carries it anymore. Walmart here has stopped carrying it even! And at one mall, they had a Belk and a Dillards that both had NO maternity section. The other mall has JCP and a Motherhood Maternity, although Motherhood clothes fall apart after a couple washes.
I found maternity at Ross and Target, but the selection was miniscule and nothing fit, or it requires a strapless bra, which I don't want to wear.

I got lucky in that a friend of mine had some old maternity tops that fit a larger chest (my biggest issue at this point), including some shirts from Motherhood years ago that actually are sewn properly! *gasp* And then at the consignment shop near me, I found a pair of super comfy capris that are In Due Time brand (apparently Target used to sell that, I guess?), and they are great quality and I only paid $5.98.
I am so living in these capris until I give birth in two months.
I don't like the Liz Lange stuff at Target now, as they don't fit at all and are overpriced anyway.

·
Registered
557 Posts
:

Also it seems only short people get pregnant. I can't find many shirts long enough to cover my belly and I have 5 months to go... anything empire cuts right across my bustline. It's a choice between overpriced bad-quality or $80/item. Why are maternity clothes so low cut? I really don't want to wear two shirts all summer long.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
including some shirts from Motherhood years ago that actually are sewn properly!
Their clothes have gotten so flimsy!!!

I am frustrated with the busts in these tops too, they never fit over my gigantic breasts lol. I look like a hore in everything I wear with all of this cleavage popping out. I wouldn't mind if I were a little smaller but I look obscene

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I am so sad also.
We used to live near an H&M that had maternity and it was all so cute (and very long for tall people) and reasonably priced (since I know by the end of this pg all my shirts will have stains on belly).
Now we're near nothing.
I also don't know why everything has to be empire waisted, then not leave enough space for big mama boobs.

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
I can always find a few things at Old Navy online... I always check the garment's fabric content. 100% cotton is the best... no polyester/rayon etc. Yeah there are definately things too revealing or tight but not everything. And the prices aren't bad.

http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=636706022

Check it out- not low cut, not too tight, not too matronly- $15 plus $5 flat rate shipping, and there's always coupon codes for discounts if you google them (and I have found even if the codes say they don't apply to maternity, they still work!).

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Check the local Goodwills also. After all they only have clothes someone was actually willing to wear

I have had good luck at Kohls also. Their maternity stuff is pretty cute. Both Old Navy and the Gap have online maternity sections, and you can check on their website if any of the stores near you carry a maternity selection. If not they accept shipped returns (and I think its free shipping?). One thing I ran into with Old Navy though is that their clothing quality is spotty; some is great some is supercrap. Plus the maternity tees are too short after about the 6th month. For some reason (even though its the same darn company) the Gap doesn't have this issue.

Honestly though, with the exception of that one pair of Lucky maternity jeans that I paid an embarrassing amount of $$ for (and were totally worth it!) all my best maternity clothes are from Goodwill.

Oh, and cafepress.com has a cool maternity tee-shirt selection. Get a size or two up though 'cause they run smallish.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mizznicole View Post
Nursing clothes are 100x worse!!!!!
I found myself wearing nursing camis under hoodies a lot when nursing DD, I'm sure this time will be the same. Plus I hate having so much fabric and fumbling with holes.

·
Registered
195 Posts
omG tell me about it! I just spent almost 3 hours at the maternity SUPER store trying on every single pair of jeans they had. they made me look like an old villager sheep hearder man from back home. Have they not learned to sew a band on pants all these years?

·
Registered
656 Posts
i like materniy clothes much better than non-mat, lol! my fav stuff usually comes from the gap. regular clothes shopping can reduce me to tears, though, lol!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
ive told my husband that alll his tshirt and his work out pants tht r his size hehe bout 4 sizes to big for me normally ARE MINE! his Adidas pants r the best with the waste that stretches saves us $ on ugly maternity clothes and ill just have big tshirt n be lazy why not i don't have any energy to do anything anyways LOL

·
Premium Member
15,952 Posts
I find it utterly insane that I normally wear a size small yet during pg I buy xl-xxl shirts just to get ones that aren't skin tight.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I agree that Old Navy is a good bet - it's the only place around here that actually has any maternity and the selection still sucks.

Here are a few shirts that don't seem geriatric or fru fru to me. I am a plain t-shirt kind of gal...

(I have two of these - they are going to be awesome for summer) http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...d=1&pid=633790

(this one isn't as tight around the tummy as their t-shirts and has good bra coverage even for my 40DD self) http://oldnavy.gap.com/browse/produc...scid=637472042

Oh, and I second the cotton thing. SO many maternity clothes are not cotton - who wants to wear polyester in the summer?! Eek.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
Also it seems only short people get pregnant. I can't find many shirts long enough to cover my belly and I have 5 months to go...
Or on the other end... I'm TOO short to be pregnant. At 5'0", some of my tops can almost be worn as dresses right now, lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by melamama View Post
I also don't know why everything has to be empire waisted, then not leave enough space for big mama boobs.
I wouldn't so much mind the empire waists if the bodice were also large enough to cover the bust w/o also being so low-cut that I'm worried about flashing everyone. As it is, I have to keep tugging at those shirts to keep the "waistline" right ACROSS my bust, so that I'm modest enough for my comfort.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
And then don't get me started on the ties. They're useful if they're actually at the waistline... but I have one shirt that ties at my ARMPITS!!! It's like above my bust, right around my ribcage. That's NOT an "expandable" part of me during pregnancy, lol, so why put the ties there?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by clemrose View Post
If you can sew (even just a little!) try these tutorials for pants or skirts. That way you just need to find regular clothes that fit except for the waist and modify them. I've done a few so far, but I'm not due until September so I'm waiting until the weather warms up more to make more skirts.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=28377

http://apatchworkworld.blogspot.com/...ity-skirt.html

http://danandcaitlin.blogspot.com/20...y-clothes.html
Thank you for these! I have a tiny frame, and have a hard time finding maternity pants that fit my shapeless bum and thighs. I was planning on altering some pants this time around, so thank you for the links!

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
I can't find maternity clothes to fit me, period. No stores seem to carry plus-sized maternity clothes, and the few that offer them only offer them online. So I wound up browsing the clearance racks of a couple stores and found quite a few cute tops that were cut with extra room in them. Empire waists seem to be in right now for non-pg women - I actually found 4 shirts at one store that would fit me through a growing belly. Combined with some elastic waisted pants and some belly bands, that's going to have to suffice.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.