Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Has anyone found a store that sells maternity outdoor apparel? The place we are going can get very cold and very wet in the fall. I have found many stores that sell yoga pants, but have not been able to find maternity waterproof pants or long undewear. Has anyone found a store that sells such things?

·
Registered
759 Posts
I second the suggestion to sew your own knit panel into some existing long johns. You may just have to get some stretchy, yoga style pants for the hiking and get some oversized rain pants if needed. Trekking poles are a fantastic plan as well. Make sure that you really try to stay hydrated and enjoy that last backpacking trip. I miss it so much!!! We always thought that once our baby was a year old, we would be back on the trail. It is just so hard to carry a person and enough gear for 3 people and I can't imagine leaving her behind! We have had to settle for good 'ol car camping with day hikes. Is your pack still fitting around your waist comfortably? You may just want to wear a daypack and really offload your gear to your gracious sherpas. Where are you planning to go? Allow me to live vicariously through you.

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
For long johns, I'd just buy them a size or two bigger than your regular size. With stretchy stuff like that it still works OK if it's kind of baggy through the legs, because it won't be overly baggy the way 2 sizes too big pants can be. Or if you can find maternity leggings that fit like thermal underwear, that would work too. Or you can buy the flared leg pants and then take in the calf seams.

I would get rain pants (waterproof but very thin so they're not too baggy) in whatever size fits your belly, and wear non-waterproof pants that fit properly (over the yoga pants or long johns, you may need to size up even with maternity pants) underneath the rain pants for warmth.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
For hiking I wear maternity leggings/tight yoga pants under flare-leg yoga pants.That keeps me warm enough as long as I'm moving, but I haven't really had to deal with rain yet. I second the suggestion for getting a larger pair of waterproof pants. My husband's fit me pretty good right now.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't forget that a lot of women feel warmer when pregnant. Layering is always good for outdoor activities, but even more so now. You'll want to be able to adjust.

Your food and water needs will go up big time, so make sure you have enough. Carry small snacks in your pockets in case you need an energy boost before the rest of the group is ready to stop, but make sure everybody knows ahead of time that you're probably not going to be able to keep up your usual speed. New rule in your life: pregnant lady sets the pace! Think of it as good practice for when you take the baby hiking with you on future day trips.

You may be enjoying a second trimester burst of energy and have no problem keeping up, but I always like to keep people's expectations low. That way, when I do better, they're surprised.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.