Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a some questions. I work for a small agency that does not have 50 employees and, therefore, does not have to offer FMLA. My supervisors are cool and have said that I can take off 12 weeks if I would like to do so, but it will be pretty much all unpaid except for whatever vacation time I have.<br><br>
I have been honest and told them I plan to return 1/2 time once the baby is born. They are cool with that. Can they technically bump me down to 1/2 time when I start the maternity leave? If so, that would mean I would lose my health insurance right before the baby is born because part-time employees do not get benefits. Don't they have to wait until after my maternity leave is over to move me to part-time status since I will be working full-time until the the start of leave?<br><br>
I live in Indiana, if that makes any difference.<br><br>
TIA!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I know your company is small, but is there a HR department that you could talk to about this? It doesn't seem fair for them to bump you down to half time before the baby is born so you lose your benefits. Maybe if you explain it to them, they will work with you. Worst case scenario, if they don't work with you, you could just work up until you deliver and then go on leave. That way you are still covered.<br><br>
Also, your benefits should last until the end of the month. So if your last day is on the 5th, you will be insured until the last day of the month.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Its crazy that you get health working for a company with less then 50 employees, (crazy in a good way!) do you even have a HR dpt?<br><br>
I concur about leaving early in the month and being covered through the end of the month. Thats true, but it doesn't help you if you need PP care.<br><br>
If your small company is anything like mine, you should ask them these questions. I'm sure that there is something you can do to work these things out.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Do you have any reason to assume they would do that? It sounds like they are being pretty accommodating so far, approving your leave as well as your plan to return part time after the birth. Why would they just decide to cut your health benefits off early? It would save them, what, a couple hundred bucks? At the cost of all your goodwill?

·
Registered
761 Posts
I suggest that you request all your health plan documents and read them very carefully. It can be tedious, but it should answer your questions.<br><br>
As a last resort, realize that you will be eligible for COBRA for 18 months.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
First off, FMLA is unpaid. The only thing that FMLA gives you is job protection -they cannot fire you for taking up to 12 weeks unpaid leave. You may already know this, but I wanted to make sure everyone is aware.<br><br>
While most companies will pay all the contributions for your healthcare premiums during your leave, you will owe them your contributions upon your return (my first check when I returned was for $65 after they took out all my premiums I owed for the 16 weeks I took off).<br><br>
The main question is whether you trust them - if so, you can ask them that you would like to transition to a part time role effective {date of return}. However, be aware that covering the contributions of the healthcare premiums costs your company money - and those contributions will go up when your baby is born (no longer you/spouse but now FAMILY coverage - celebrations!).<br><br>
It may be something they are willing to do, especially if they would love to retain you but cannot afford maternity leave or health care coverage for part time workers.<br><br>
Or it may be something they just cannot justify, especially if they are planning on hiring someone to replace you and then move you into another position more suitable for part time work. They may ask that you return full time for a few months while they find a replacement/transition you to another job.<br><br>
Also, check to see whether they have short term disability insurance. if so, many offer up to 5 weeks of partial salary upon the birth of a child, and that is payable to you regardless of your work status or intentions to return to work.<br><br>
I think the big thing to realize is that you need to negotiate what you want and get it in writing and realize that you are negotiating based on your relationships with your employer - and their view of you as a future employee.<br><br>
Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I second checking into short-term disability insurance. If your company has it, childbirth and the post-partum period qualify. At my old employer, which was also a small company of 20 employees, the short-term disability insurance offered 13 weeks of time off with partial pay (60%) AND the company continued to pay your benefits, i.e. health insurance premiums, contributions to 401(k), etc.<br><br>
Combined with the 1 week of time that you had to cover with vacation or sick pay before the short-term disability kicks in, that totals 14 weeks.<br><br>
Hope that helps.<br><br>
~Diane

1 - 7 of 7 Posts