Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I FINALLY told my dad and stepmother about the baby tonight. They came to visit from out of state, and DS requested that we all go to his favorite restaurant. The parking lot was pretty full, so I said to DH, "Is my favorite parking spot open?" "Yep." DH pulled into the spot labeled "Parking for Expectant Mothers Only." It took a second, but my dad suddenly realized what it meant and congratulated us. I whipped out the ultrasound photo from my wallet. My stepmother is already insisting that I have to name the baby after my father, since all my other siblings "neglected" him when naming their kids. This is the type of emotional baggage I've been trying to avoid since getting pg 15 weeks ago.

Anyway, I love those parking spots for pregnant moms -- I use them all the time now at the grocery store.

Now I have to work up the courage to call my mom and siblings -- some of them won't be exactly happy for me.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
Wow, what a creative way to tell that you are expecting! I can't believe some people are so insistent on them naming someone elses baby! Geeze
I hope that the rest of the family takes the news well....we'll always be here for you though

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
What a cute story! It's nice that you waited to tell until you were ready. Good luck telling your mom and sibs. If they're not thrilled for you, it's their problem, not yours.

·
Registered
943 Posts
We have a couple of places with the maternity parking. I utilize it if I can, especially this time around when I have a toddler in tow.

I think they ought to make "Mothers with young children" parking. In teh grand scheme of things, it's harder for me to have DD then it is to have been pregnant. Maybe they could combine them
I'm certainly not trying to knock how hard it is to walk when we get to be big as houses.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I love it! Great story!

When we were first pregnant I was so psyched to park in one of those spaces!! It was really more about just being pregnant, finally, and I did feel like a super cheat because I definatley did not need to park in the space but we did it for fun!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Great story!!

I used to HATE the pregnancy parking. I had this horrid beliefe that pregnant women need to be exercising anyways so parking out a few spots wasn't going to kill them. With baby #5, I think differently and take those spots everytime I can! We also have spots for "Parents with Young Children" or something like that and ya gotta love those too. The other day I got really lippy cause some young teenage couple pulled into one of those spots (I was nice and comfy in my pregnancy spot so really it didn't matter to me) but I yelled out "OMG your kids are so cute!!!!!" (needless to say they were kidless and just too lazyassed to walk an extra 3 spots. Of course I got flipped off for it, but oh well. I mentioned it to the lady at the greeters stand and she said that unfortunately it's just a convenince and not a law like with handicapped parking and so really there is nothing they can do.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I don't think any of the places around us have Expectant Mom parking. What a great idea though!

My favorite grocery store has the "Parents with Child" parking & it rocks.
Oh....it irks me though when you see perfectly healthy people pulling into or out of one. At least if it's an elderly or handicapped person I know they actually *need* the spot. The ONLY thing I dislike about the spots at are store is they are soooo far away from the cart holders. Like, hello people! I don't want to hike 1/2 mile to get rid of my cart with a kid thanks.

We told DH's parents by making a t-shirt for DD that said "I'm the big sister" and putting it on under another shirt. We met MIL, FIL, BIL & SIL to go for a walk & dinner. Part way into the walk I told MIL, "DD looks hot. Would you mind taking off her top shirt?" Everyone loved it and was really suprised!
We told my Mom by wrapping the pregnancy test up & having her open it. I told her it was something I'd gotten her for Mother's Day & forgot to give her.
She was pretty suprised too.

Holly

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Imaginative announcement : )
I can understand the usefulness of pregnancy parking for those with other small kids or pregnancy woes...but I have to admit that I kind of take issue with the inference that pregnancy is by nature a hindrance or infirmity.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muppet729
I think they ought to make "Mothers with young children" parking. In teh grand scheme of things, it's harder for me to have DD then it is to have been pregnant. Maybe they could combine them
I'm certainly not trying to knock how hard it is to walk when we get to be big as houses.

My grocery store has two spaces right in front that are labeled for "parents with children." Unfortunately they're often filled by people without young kids who go right ahead and park there anyway

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
IKEA has "family parking," a semi-enclosed (surrounded on 3 sides by sidewalks) area next to the main entrance. I love it. I do not interpret maternity parking as an indication of disability. I think it is intended as a small kindness to make us more comfortable, and I'll take any kindness I can get!

I called my family on Sunday, but most were not home, so I left messages saying that I had good news to share about DS (the good news is that he'll be a big brother!). Some family members -- including my own mother! -- still have not returned my calls. I guess they'll have to wait until I send them a birth announcement, LOL.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Our HyVee here has a "New and Expectant Mothers Parking" spot.

Here's my question: do you actually park there now? I mean, sure, I'm preg, but I'm only 15 wks. I feel like I should be saving it for someone who's 3 wks overdue or something.

This winter, though, when I'm farther along, and it's much colder, though, I might not have such a problem using it!

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When it's 100 degrees with 90% humidity and I'm going grocery shopping with my autistic DS, I have no problem using the maternity parking spot! Walking through a parking lot with a child who has no awareness of danger can be a harrowing experience.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts