Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be your minimum must have list for a maternity wardrobe?

I stay home with the kids, so that cuts work clothes. I am hoping to get everything for under $100. I rolled the change in my piggy bank.

Any tips or thoughts would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm coming to the end of my stretch of maternity wardrobe needs, so here's what I'd recommend.....
Stock up on comfortable cotton pants w/ stretchy waist bands! I started out thinking that I would need maternity jeans,so I got a few pairs, but after the 4th-5th months they didn't fit comfortably either (especially when I sit down) and I was left wishing I had more sweatpants to choose from! I've found most of my favorite things at Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, or the thrift store. I basically go for solid colored tops and bottoms and play around with color combos. (Don't be afraid to be bold!) As for tops, the length is really the most important thing, most of my regular shirts fit until the last months and now they are too short. They still work and can look cute if I wear and long tank top underneath. Luckily, it seems to be the style to have really long tanks and shirts, so its possible to find them even outside of the maternity dept.
Good luck and have fun shopping spree!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
i just spent about $120 on OldNavy.com and I think this is what I got

1 pr jeans
1 pr curdoroy pants
1 pr super comfy yoga pants
2 turtlenecks
1 wrap around cardigan
1 long sleeved shirt

everything is either black or chocolate brown, like the Amish people
. What I can still use from my previous summer pregnancy:

1 pr. jeans
a couple 3/4 sleeved shirts
a couple of plain t-shirts that I can layer under cardigan

I hope I can find a couple more cute shirts at Target later on. I just found one $10 plain black shirt last time I was there. And maybe 1-2 more yoga pants for around the house. But I'm just wearing my regular sweats. I'm also going to try to bum some maternity clothes from two of my friends who had winter babies.

·
Premium Member
3,325 Posts
I'm a WAHM so my wardrobe needs are really minimal.

I like to have one somewhat dressy sweater or blouse (depending upon the season of pregancy), a somewhat dressy skirt - these for the very few occasions where we might go somewhere I'd need to get dressed up for.

For daily wardrobe I like 3-4 short sleeve shirts, 3-4 long sleeve shirts, 3 pair of slacks, 3 casual skirts, and 3 pair of shorts if I'll be pregnant during summer. I also demand larger bras (comfy cotton stretchy kind), and maternity panties. I generally want about 6 each of these in case I don't get to do laundry often enough. I try to eek by with non-maternity pjs, but sometimes have to buy one size up and always need either nightgowns or really stretchy knit pj pants. A pair or two of really comfy loose shoes are a must for me as well! I'm still wearing my Birks now, but soon I'll have to switch over to real shoes.

I generally wear my regular jackets, cardigans, etc. and just not zip or button during later months.

I buy as much maternity clothing at garage sales, thrift stores, etc as I can.

For this pregnancy I've found all my maternity pants at garage sales or thrifts and paid a total of $9 for them. I sewed my own skirts with fabric found on sale and paid a total of $12 for the fabric. I found blouses at thrift stores and garage sales and spent $6 on them. I'm still able to use my nursing bras and have panties from the last pregnancy. I'll need to buy some new pjs soon, but that will probably be my only new purchase.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I live in T-shirts and yoga pants. I have outgrown my khaki pants and jeans. I wish I had more yoga pants. It's the only way I can tie my shoes. The PP was right--the longer the better for shirts. My T-shirts are already creeping up and I still have a month or two to go.

I do laundry once a week, so I need 7 shirts, 7 pants, 3 or 4 tanks with built-in shelf bra (instead of a bra), 2 pajama bottoms, and 7 pairs of super-stretchy cotton underwear.

I really like Target maternity bc it looks cute but it doesn't cost a fortune. You can get good Ts and pants there--mine have lasted through two pregnancies. My Gap T-shirts unraveled along the bottom seam after only a few washes. My Gap khakis came open along the fake zipper seam after one wash.
My favorite maternity yoga pants are from Old Navy online. Avoid the kind with a seam all the way up the belly--it will make you itch and will drive you nuts toward the end.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I got a bunch of stuff on craigslist super cheap, look under the clothing section and the kids and baby section, in my area there are lots listed about once a week or so. I got 6 pairs of pants and 8 tops for $60, so I was pretty much done! Pants were my main concern.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thehappydeer View Post
I'm coming to the end of my stretch of maternity wardrobe needs, so here's what I'd recommend.....
Stock up on comfortable cotton pants w/ stretchy waist bands! I started out thinking that I would need maternity jeans,so I got a few pairs, but after the 4th-5th months they didn't fit comfortably either (especially when I sit down) and I was left wishing I had more sweatpants to choose from! I've found most of my favorite things at Marshalls, Ross, TJ Maxx, or the thrift store. I basically go for solid colored tops and bottoms and play around with color combos. (Don't be afraid to be bold!) As for tops, the length is really the most important thing, most of my regular shirts fit until the last months and now they are too short. They still work and can look cute if I wear and long tank top underneath. Luckily, it seems to be the style to have really long tanks and shirts, so its possible to find them even outside of the maternity dept.
Good luck and have fun shopping spree!
: that's what i've done this pregnancy and it's been so much easier, cheaper, and (MUCH) more comfortable than my last one when I only wore maternity stuff. the stretchy un-maternity things will still be usable postpartum, too, which is cool.
edited to add:
get good bras and underwear!! seriously! i've stretched the budget for clothing, but bought 2 really great Jockey bras-black and off white-and about 6 prs of super stretchy cotton boy short undies. worth every dime!

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
since i teach yoga and SAH with the kids the rest of the time, I totally live in yoga pants and tanks/t-shirts even when i'm not pg
so the only thing that changes is i buy yoga pants in a size larger than i normally wear, and during my last pregnancy i bought a bunch of maternity shelf-bra tank tops that are my uniform for teaching (and were great when pg in the summer too). because they're stretchy and a bit longer than normal ones, they're also great for using as an undershirt for nursing post partum - just pull a boob out and you're set

for when i'm not teaching i have a handful of short-sleeved t-shirts and a few long-sleeved t-shirts to go with my yoga pants. some are just a size or two larger than i usually wear (which is nice for post partum) and some are maternity tops. and i think i have one skirt and two blouses left over from my first pregnancy when i had to go work in an office, but i wouldn't go out and buy then now unless i had someplace special to go. i do have a few pairs of maternity jeans, but you really don't need them per se, and they definitely don't make it all the way to the end of pregnancy for me. but they are also nice for the immediate post-partum period if you have the ones with the low waist.

sometimes gap and old navy do have incredible sales - that's the only time i would ever think of buying stuff there
and Target has some reasonably priced, cute stuff too. and definitely keep your eye out on e-bay and here on FSOT for good deals too. sometimes consignment shops for kids will also have a maternity section, and that stuff is always really inexpensive IME.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I too refuse to spend any more money than I have to on Maternity clothes! I'm also a SAHM but I only do laundry once a week so I have:

3-4 pants (a couple yoag/knit pants and a couple of jeans)
5 long sleeved shirts
7 t-shirts
1 nice dress (I always end up going to formal events when pregnant!!)

I use my pre-pregnant sweaters and undies (altohugh I have to size up on undies at the end) and my nursing bras. I also bought a couple of thin camis at costco for about $10 that are 1 size too big and nice and long. I'm hoping this will help extend the use of my pre-pregnant shirts.

And if you can't find good clothes used, I have had some luck at JC Penneys. They frequently have good sales. hth!

·
Registered
685 Posts
I agree with the posters about comfy stretchy pants and long shirts. I've made this mistake with BOTH of my pregnancies! What I've done is gone out and bought all sorts of cute maternity things at the beginning, and then somewhere in the middle, none of it was comfortable and/or fit. Then I went out and bought a second wardrobe to get me through the third trimester. Oh me oh my!
:

Jeans just aren't comfy in the third trimester! So my challenge is to wear leggings or yoga pants, and have shirts long enough to hide my panty line.

Oh, and I *just* learned a handy trick. Buy a maternity "girdle" thing to hold up your belly. This holds up loose pants very well! (My body shape tends to "drop" any comfortable pants I wear.)

So I have way too many clothes, but I do have 1 nice pair of black slacks, and about 5 nice shirts to wear with those (to church). I am a "SAHM," however, I shuttle DD all over the place on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I have one pair of jeans that someone gave me a year ago that strangely enough fit me in the legs, but the belly flared up and out. They were low-riders and kind of stretchy, so they have been working GREAT as maternity pants so far. They are still a little big in the waist, but I expect I'll fill them in shortly.

2 pair maternity-size jeans/pants
2-3 calf-length broom skirts with drawstring
matching tanks and tees
low-rider panties

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
It depends on the season. Many of my clothes are already maternity-friendly since I like hippie blouses and drawstring skirts. And many trendy regular tops are in the "tunic" style which is perfect for pregnancy, or they have longer waists which also work nicely.

Something I liked to do for my first pregnancy was find cheap sundresses at Goodwill, then cut off the bottoms to make tops out of them. Then, I'd use the piece that I cut off as a matching hair wrap.

We're trying to get pregnant soon, so I plan on adding the following staples to my wardrobe:

4-5 pairs maternity pants (I only have one since my last pregnancy was during the summer!)
A few comfy maternity/nursing bras that will accomodate my expanding ribcage
Undies one size bigger

I can make my summer stuff work by putting a longsleeve shirt underneath some of the tank tops, or just wearing one of my zillions of zip-up hoodies unzipped over them. I also plan on getting a pair or two of maternity leggings so I can wear them under my summer skirts in case I get tired of my jeans.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'm a FTM and I was wondering about the maternity clothes. Glad to see this thread!

So the impression I am getting is that the most likely I'll be able to wear stretchy tops like sweaters and Tshirts for most of my pregnancy, having to go up a size or two at the end. If so that sounds great since I had to buy some new sweaters this wear to get through the fall/winter season.

Also, any advice on wrap dresses? Are there certain cuts I should look for or avoid? Why does everyone buy pants rather than dresses? I have seen a few dresses on pregnant women and they looked cute. I thought they would be a cute piece of clothing that I could wear to an office and going out. Since they are adjustable I though it would be easier to get mileage out of them.

·
Registered
8,706 Posts
I'm just starting to think (worry!) about maternity wear. I'm 16 weeks and 'small for my age', but my favourite skirt no longer fits and... well, I don't have many clothes left anyway. I was planning to go on a big buying spree when I go to Australia in a week, so I haven't bought new clothes for AGES. It's kinda beginning to show!

Most days I wear a pair of jeans I bought ages ago, only to discover they were too loose around the waist and rather too low-riding for my taste. They work very nicely so far, and I think I'll get a few more month's mileage out of them yet!

My trouble is I hate the current fashions. Everyone I talk to says 'Ooh, that's great you're pregnant now; all those peasant tops and ruched blouses make everyone look pregnant anyway, so you'll have no trouble finding clothes!' Which is all very well, but... I HATE that look! Which is why I never bought them in the first place! I don't like the Empire-line 'waists', the baggy fronts and too-long tops; I think they look ridiculous. What I like, unfortunately, is stuff that's cinched in at the waist and makes me look trim and slender. And of course, that's not so good for pregnancy.

I did buy a top yesterday that'll do me for a few months. I was wanting something neither baggy nor tight, and I recalled that a certain green top I wear has always made me look slimmer. It's a crossover top which ties at one hip, so there are soft folds of fabric over the tummy area; for some magical optical reason it's always made my waist look tiny. So I found a sleeveless black top which does a similar thing; and it works! The folds will give me room to grow for a while yet, and in the meantime I'm not bulging everywhere looking horrid. I am most pleased; and DH approves.

I like dresses too, ZoeyZoo; my problem is, my ankles have never been that slender to begin with, and I don't fancy the thought of what they'll be like once I'm seven months pregnant! If it were winter here I could wear boots and get away with it, but we're in spring... and yes, I'm already stressing over what to wear to my friend's wedding in February!
It doesn't help, also, that my legs are pasty-white and unglamorous. Plus, pregnancy 'conditions' like varicose veins, aggravated eczema and psoriasis are probably other reasons why pregnancy dresses aren't as popular as they could be. Unless you get something ankle-length to cover a multitude of sins, of course!

I shall watch this thread with interest... can I second the question about 'cuts to look for or avoid'?

·
Registered
295 Posts
So far I've managed to get by on 3 pairs of hand-me-down maternity pants + one pair of yoga pants, three maternity tops from Target, and 2 hand-me-down maternity/nursing tank tops. Several of my regular tops still fit, because they are long and/or have empire-waists. I can also wear some of my regular skirts, as long as I pull them all the way up over my belly, but that won't last much longer. I bought one empire-waist (not technically maternity) dress for a wedding we have in a couple of weeks, and I can still wear one of my old dresses.

Not counting the dress, I've spent only about $60 so far on maternity wear.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I get the most mileage out of really stretchy knit maternity pants with elastic waists. With both pregnancies they were the first and last things I could wear --and great postpartum, especially with a c-section when I didn't want anything touching my lower abdomen.

I thrifted and garage saled most of my maternity wear.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
At 30w+, I still own no maternity clothes (well, I own one summer top I have never worn, that my mom picked out). I have just bought stretchy pants with drawstring several sizes larger than I needed pre-pregnancy. On top, regular tees and tunics in a larger size work fine, too.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokering View Post

My trouble is I hate the current fashions. Everyone I talk to says 'Ooh, that's great you're pregnant now; all those peasant tops and ruched blouses make everyone look pregnant anyway, so you'll have no trouble finding clothes!' Which is all very well, but... I HATE that look!
Actually, that's no longer the current fashion, as in "what the fashion-forward people are wearing and the designers are putting out." (It's still what most people on the street have on.) My tastes are actually in line with yours, which is why i'm slightly irritated that the REAL "current" fashion is cinched waists, high-waisted pants, slim lines... basically, an about-face from the excesses of the past seasons, and REALLY not good for pregnant people!!!! And by the time we're skinny again, it will be passe!!
:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I made it through the early stages of pregnancy in my regular clothes. I stuck to my larger T's, stretchy ribbed tanks, and stretchy t-shirt dresses. I pretty much lived in my thai fisherman pants. When the weather turned all the shops were having sales so i stocked up on a few more items. A pair of maternity pants, two maternity tanks (to layer under my t-shirts), a dressy wrap top, and a few cute tops for work.

What I'm really hurting for is a new bra. Anyone have advice for larger chested ladies (38 D-DD)? I'm the only one in my family with breasts and have no idea where to look for cute, well fitting bras.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.