Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My ds is 8 yrs old and is somewhat advanced in math and enjoys it.  He did Bob Jones grade 3 math last year (his 2nd grade year) and this year we went with Teaching Textbooks and he LOVES it.  When he did the placement test he placed at the grade 6 level, but I was worried about gaps so I decided to rush him through TT 4 and then start TT 5 in the new year.  I realize that Teaching Textbooks is a little on the easy side compared to some curricula such as Singapore, which is advanced compared to public school curriculum, IIRC.  Anyhow, I was at my neighbour's the other day and we were looking through a box of curriculum she was sending to her grandkids , they homeschool in Bolivia, where their parents are missionaries.  I don't know what curriculum it was, it was plain on the outside cover (no name), just said something like 1B or such and something about being made or printed in Singapore on the inside cover.- but it doesn't look like the Singapore math books I've seen. *shrug*  The oldest grandchild is only 6 yrs old and this math was insanely advanced, even I was having trouble understanding some of it.   I was quite surprised because I think it was only grade 1 or 2!  Ring any bells?  Part of me doesn't think it is necessary to be so challenging at such a young age, yet another part wonders if my ds could be missing out and is not being challenged enough by Teaching Textbooks.  I wonder if I should keep him doing the TT since he enjoys it, and also supplement with something like Singapore Math.  Is the Singapore math really difficult?  Any thoughts and opinions on it?  I printed off some of their placement tests for grade 3 and my ds was having difficulty doing it, it's not just advanced, I think it is just a very different way of doing math... Thoughts?  Opinions?   </p>

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
<p> </p>
I would guess it's one of the supplementary or alternate Singaporean math books. They're all aligned with the Singaporean national curriculum which is, yes, a little advanced compared to US curricula, and yes, a somewhat different way of approaching math. Teaching Textbooks is a little behind most US curricula, I think. So if you're comparing a Singaporean program to TT you'll see quite a contrast. We tried TT at one point and my kids didn't much like it. All four of mine have done Singapore Primary Math; two have also used some of the high school level stuff. My7-year-old is finishing up level 5A; she's crazy advanced but that's just because of who she is, how she learns and what she's interested in.<br><br>
I wouldn't get caught up in comparisons and second-guessing yourself based on what some friends of friends are doing. If your kid loves his math, stay with it and let him move ahead at his own pace. If he might be entering the school system at some point, just be aware that TT could be up to a year or so "behind" the school math program.<br><br>
Miranda

1 - 2 of 2 Posts