Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm new here and was hoping for some advice on mattress pads. I'm looking for recommendations on finding a reasonably priced natural pad that is truly waterproof. What materials work best, what to stay away from, etc.? Are there any options which are more affordable than others? Thanks for any recommendations!!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
First of all, great user name-- we love that book!

I'm not an expert, but it sounds like wool would be what you're looking for. Don't succumb to the ease, cost and avialability of plastic-- it is a sweaty sleep!

·
Registered
717 Posts
I am going to do two things
1) Kelley Green has free shipping on their very reasonably priced organic wool crib sized pads. I am going to put that directly over the mattress.

2) Because the wool pad will deflect the moisture, I am going to add another layer of absorbant cotton on top of that so that moisture doesn't roll off the sides of the mattress or soak into the baby's clothes or something. I've been looking for a 100% cotton mattress pad that isn't waterproof (which includes plastics), but I can't find one. I think I am going to temporarily use a cotton towel (under the fitted sheet), but then work to make a simple quilted layer of 100% cotton batting sandwiched between cotton fabrics that I can throw into the wash after it gets wet. Does that make sense?

I'm with you. It isn't easy or cheap to get safe bedding for my baby, but I don't trust ANYTHING, even if it says organic on it, until I know there are no plastics or fire retardant chemicals in it (the wool is naturally fire retardant).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts