Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know where to post this, but I am hoping someone can give some advice. My daughter is ready to sleep in her own bed, and I have saved a mattress from my son's first bed for her to use. Unfortunately, the mattress has been in our furnace room for 2 years because our last house was very tiny and we had no other storage space. The mattress was covered in a thick, plastic mattress bag and was not located too close to the oil burner or any of the furnace equipment; however, when I took the mattress out of the bag, I noticed it had a faint oil smell to it. It's the kind of odor you'd only notice with your face pressed close to the mattress, but of course, my daughter will have her face pressed into the mattress each night! I am thinking I can leave it outside in the hope that it airs out, and then it might be okay...I really can't afford to purchase a new one at this time, since I just bought a new home. Any suggestions or opinions?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Spray down the mattress with full strength white vinegar to a degree that there is some that soaks through.

This will get rid of the odors and bacteria. You can add tea tree oil and/or lavender for added antibacterial and scent effect.

Optional: you can dust the mattress with baking soda after the vinegar dries. Even more optional - you can vacuum the mattress with your vacuum attachment and suck up the baking soda and more odors.

My dog has had a seizure on my bed and ended up peeing on it. I put baking soda to soak up the moisture and then put vinegar on it. I may have added a little more baking soda when it dried, but the stain and smell is gone.

I love it!

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Spray down the mattress with full strength white vinegar to a degree that there is some that soaks through.

This will get rid of the odors and bacteria. You can add tea tree oil and/or lavender for added antibacterial and scent effect.

Optional: you can dust the mattress with baking soda after the vinegar dries. Even more optional - you can vacuum the mattress with your vacuum attachment and suck up the baking soda and more odors.

My dog has had a seizure on my bed and ended up peeing on it. I put baking soda to soak up the moisture and then put vinegar on it. I did some minimal hand wiping/scrubbing. I may have added a little more baking soda when the vinegar dried, and the excess baking soda, I vacuumed up, but the stain and smell is gone.

I love it!

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
I agree, full strength white vinegar sprayed on should do the trick really well. I would practically soak the mattress with spray and turn a fan right onto the bed to dry it out.

Actually, I vacuum and spray our mattresses with white vinegar every month at least. Vinegar is great at deodorizing and killing dust mites.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts