Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We coverd my daughter's queen sized mattress in one of those nylon-type zippered wraps that help prevent allergies. We got it for free, so thought we'd give it a try (since she seems to suffer a bit from allergies anyhow) -- AND I thought it would help protect the mattress from pee-pee accidents.

Well, she had an accident yesterday. The bed has been wrapped for about a year, and over that wrap is ALWAYS a cotton mattress pad, and over THAT of course, are sheets. But here's the thing, when I went to wipe up the pee that seeped through, I noticed that everywhere I wiped BLACK STUFF come off. It was sooooo gross! What is that? Is it soot, dust, mold??? But like I said, this thing is under two layers of protection -- how could it be so dirty? Is this just normal build up for mattress wraps? Stuff that would be absorbed into the mattress if it were not wrapped? We DO live in the city afterall (well, sort of. Santa Monica, CA).

I think we better get her a wool protector. But I am curious to know if anyone has had this experience with a nylon mattress wrap.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
8,864 Posts
You got it for free, was it new or was it used? There could have been something that was on it before which allowed mold to build. If your dd sweats at night it could be enough moisture for mold to breed.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm starting to think it was mold too. It was brand new (my husband is a buyer, and often gets samples of things -- this was one, so thought we'd try it).

DD DOES sweat a lot. But you'd think the cotton mattress cover OVER the wrap would absorb that. And if not, and we did not have the wrap on, then wouldn't the MATTRESS be moldy instead. Hmmm -- which would be worse.

There was a definite circle of darker black right underneath where she wet -- but anywhere that I wiped with a wet cloth, soot-like blackness came up.

She is still sleeping on the mattress --- without the wrap. I think I will get a wool blacket and make that the cover for now, and then hopefully get her an organic mattress soon. I just hope the bed itself is not moldy right now. It is 10 years old -- used to be our family bed. Now perhaps its life is over anyhow. SCARY!

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
I wonder if the mattress was truly new...

Some unethical, shady mattress companies have been known to simply re-cover used mattresses. Very illegal.

I wouldn't be comfortable continuing to use a mattress that was doing that.

And we've never had a mattress or cover do anything like that. Black stuff doesn't just appear out of nowhere. Even when I was growing up in an area in which you couldn't hang stuff out to dry lest it need to be washed again from the airborn soot (until I was in Junior High and the Clean Air laws were enforced), we didn't have that happening with the mattresses.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
. Even when I was growing up in an area in which you couldn't hang stuff out to dry lest it need to be washed again from the airborn soot (until I was in Junior High and the Clean Air laws were enforced), we didn't have that happening with the mattresses.
I assume you're talking about Pgh? Anyone who doubts pollution needs to look at that city in the early 80's, and then look at it now... you can't not believe in pollution after that.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Quote:
I assume you're talking about Pgh?
No, I grew up in the Kanawha Valley in WV. Major area for chemical plants back in the 60s, 70s, 80s...

Dad grew up in Wyoming, where clothing dries super fast when hung out on lines. When he and Mom moved to the Kanawha Valley, Dad thought she could just hang out the laundry the way his mom had. His co-workers quickly set him straight. Doing that meant rewashing everything.

In the 70s, whenever the Clean Air Act was passed, things got better. There wasn't as much black crud on the porch every morning. We could hang our swimming towels out to dry without ruining them. There was also a van full of air quality testing equipment that parked right next to my junior high school. Rather disconcerting when I think about it. They parked there because that's where the prevailing winds carried whatever from the plants in Nitro. Is it any wonder I have asthma now?

But I've seen photos of PGH back in the days of the heavy pollution. It's a wonder DH doesn't have asthma too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts