Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey mamas, I came to subscribe and didn't find a December thread.

I hope you're all doing well coming into this month.

BBM, I'm so excited for you that your brother is coming home, is he back with your family already?

RE gifts,
DS & DD are getting that french kitchen from oompa from their uncle and I'd bought felt and some vegetable patterns that I hope to get around to before the 24th

Then, we got the both a Bamboletta doll that should be arriving within a week or two so I'm excited about that.
My mom and dad are getting them plasma cars, and hopefully that's it, I'm already feeling like it's too much.

DH's grandma is probably not going to make it to spring, so as a Christmas gift to her and us, my Brother in law is giving us his frequent flier points and getting tickets for DH and I to go back from the 19th to the 23rd. I'm kinda worried since we'll be leaving DS & DD and that seems like a really long time to me. They'll be staying with my mom and dad so they're excited about that, but I'm with them all the time and I'm going to really miss them! Hopefully I'll be able to get the the felt fruits & veggies then.

Max, it sounds like you're feeling a lot better, and I like your gifts that you bought for your LO's! I LOVED my skates! I think I even preferred my roller skates over the roller blades. - I haven't been really able to work on any new dolls lately, first I didn't have them time and now I'm a bit disgusted with copyright violations that cropped up twice in the last two weeks- someone had posted 22 of my patterns on her webspace, in addition to tons others made by other similar designers. It's frustrating because she offers her patterns for free, and then thinks she can do that to everyone else's too.

Anyway, this turned out way longer that it was supposed to be, so Hi! to everyone and I hope this month is a great one!

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
Hi Mamas! We are doing pretty well here. My 40th birthday was yesterday, and I'm still trying to feel fully ok with having two little ones under 3 years old. I don't really feel all that old (well, a little creaky maybe!
), but 40 just seems, so, middle-aged, you know? It was a pretty sedate day, which was fine, and we had a really nice salmon dinner to celebrate.
:

DS is a sweet cheerful babe, and very smiley. He's just starting to figure out how to work his hands to grab things, and that he has toes!
DD seems to be suddenly turning into a little girl. She can be so sweet one moment, and defiant and causing trouble the next. It is making me so
: most days, trying to stay calm.

She got through her dental surgery pretty well, and is recovering just fine. She occasionally asks us to take the partials out though (which are cemented in place), which we tell her we can't do.

Anyways, I'm thinking of trying to nightwean her (she nightweaned herself before ds was born) since she is soaking up to 3 diapers a night and refuses to wake up or pee in the toilet like she used to
I'm just not sure how to approach it with her, since she is an older toddler.

Anywhoo, congrats Sydnee on finishing NaNoWriMo! What a great accomplishment!

max - I'm thinking of trying a gymnastics-type class with dd, but have mixed feelings about it.

bbm - What wonderful news about your brother, and just in time for the holidays too

Mia - How awful that someone is doing that to your patterns
Is there any recourse to get them pulled off her website?

Gotta run mamas! Happy holidays!!
:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
: just subbing here
be back soon, but before I go:

Mia, I hope dd is feeling better soon and you get your trip to Disneyland in!
(And I'd be POed about the patterns too!)

Blue Lotus, glad you & your family are doing well. I can just picture ds playing w/his toes.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
Happy Birthday, Blue Lotus!

Wow, I'm mad that someone did that with your patterns, Mia. I hope you manage to get them dealt with. And good luck on your trip. I am working like crazy this week and feeling really lonely for my little guys. But at least I am curling up with them at night.

I wish my LO would night wean, but I don't think he's ready. I was pretty dry by the time he woke up for real this morning and we had this whole conversation about how he was sad that there were no more nursies right then.
He's still doing okay with the reduced nursing during the day, but there are times when he's not happy about it. He HAS started being willing to/asking to go potty during the night, though, which is great!

DS1 has been having a really rough time. He doesn't handle anticipation well (massive understatement) and so Thanksgiving was tough, his friend's birthday party on Sunday is tough to wait for, and then, OMG, it will be time to ramp up the Christmas expectations . . . yikes. He just gets so excited he can't control himself, and the excitment comes out as aggression (everything comes out as aggression
- he's such a BOY.)

I spent a huge amount of time this week making picture calendars for my paternal and maternal families (who don't have much to do with each other since my parents have been separated/divorced since I was 8.) Yikes! It was a LOT of work. Nobody else in those families is getting anything else as a gift from me!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi mamas, I'm hoping to get to personals while it's still manageable

We're pretty sure that DD has croup, which I've never had experience with except in reading Anne of Green Gables. Last night around 1:30 DH called his sister whose an emergency room nurse in IA and had DD coughing in the phone while talking to her aunt. My nephew whose a junior in HS still has bouts with it so she gave us some suggestions on what to do, but it was still a really rough night.

Also thanks for the support about the patterns I'm pretty POed too, but for now it looks like everyone reporting her to the websites that she's posted them on has caused her to remove them. At least we all know who it is, and if I was to have to contact a copyright attorney about it I'd have a name. I've also taken screen shots of the offenses so that I can prove what she was doing.

Blue Lotus, it's good to hear from you, sounds like DS is an excellent little guy and I'm glad DD got through her dental surgery as well as she did. Happy birthday by the way! Mine was on Saturday and I always forget that yours is so soon after mine

Mamabeakley, I can empathize with you about your DS and anticipation. My DS is like that in cycles and I forget that other mamas deal with the same behavior.

I'm also thinking about doing those photo calendars for DH's family. Especially since his mom ALWAYS forgets birthdays, she even told DH that he should remind her when his birthday is coming up- she only has 3 kids, I have no idea how she can be so forgetful of her own kid's birthdays. Besides, if I do those calendars they can see a good sized image of my LO's every month. I think I'm going to do one of those small photo books for my mom & grandmas, but I won't do that until January so that I have all the images for the entire year to choose from.

Okay, again, I've spent a bit too much time here again, I need to see if DD will get back to bed, we need some sleep!

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Sydnee, congrats! I only got to 30 thou but it's better than I've ever done before.

Mia--yikes, croup! There's a great book called "Take Charge of Your Child's Health" by a Dr.Wootan. I know it mentions croup even though we've never had it here. It has great suggestions for *everything*.

No more time for any other personals...I'm going to ask dp for a break this weekend before he goes back up north though, and so I'll try to catch up then.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Hey mamas!

Well, we're getting ready for Christmas here. It's so much fun this year, DS is so into every aspect. We're opening an Advent calendar box every day, he helped put out the Nativity scene, he can't wait to put up and decorate the tree-- all the fun holiday traditions.

His Christmas presents this year are a child-size folk guitar (he begs us every day for a different musical instrument!), some train track for his train set + new engine and two of his favorite books from the library. I know he's also getting a bridge + signal crossing from my parents as well. He's going to have a great Christmas!

For the rest of us, we've agreed not to exchange gifts. We're going to be making a group donation to the local homeless shelter.

And DH and I are actively trying to move back to France. We've sort of given up on DH finding a job here. We really, really, really miss France/Paris and it's so much easier for DH to network there, so he's following up on some great leads and we're hoping something can be worked out pretty quickly (although at this point I no longer have ANY expectations!!!
)

Sydnee, congratulations on finishing NaNoWriMo, I'm always so amazed and impressed by your energy!

Mia, I hope DD feels better and can go to Disneyland tomorrow. Btw, the croup in the Anne book is, I think, actually diphtheria... Geo was sick recently and had a horrible cough, and a Dr friend told us that a croup cough gets better in cold air. Turns out Geo had bronchiolitis. No fun!

Mamabeakley, the anticipation is so hard for LOs! I hope the holiday goes smoothly for you this year.

Alaskaberry, that's great that you got to 30,000 words! I'm so impressed by all the people who do NaNoWriMo.

Max: Hi! Hope you and your family are doing well.

Well, better run, we have to get Christmas decorations down. Yay!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Wow, haven't seen this thread for a while!

Mia, hope DD is feeling better soon, & sorry to hear of the plagarism - I've had that problem too, w/an article I wrote
:

Happy Birthday Blue Lotus! And hey, 40 isn't that old - I'm 41 myself!

Mamabeakley, Annie was rather out-of-sorts too, right after Thanksgiving - too much excitement, I guess

Marylizah, wishing you all luck in your DH finding something back in France!

Hi Max & Alaskaberry!

Just wanted to mention, when I'm reading stories to my girls, how much I appreciate so many of you buying books for them last year to replace their favorites we lost in the fire. It makes the books even more special, that they came from friends.
:

And in the holidays-are-here, my-aren't-our-kids-getting-big! theme, I just got a cute photo of Annie & Beth for Christmas

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l...ssmile5507.jpg

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Shahbazin- That picture is adorable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They look so much alike and are getting so big. I still think of Beth as a little baby, lol!

Mia- I hope DD is feeling better. Hugs to you. And I hope you get the pattern thing worked out, that would be very frustrating.

Mamabeakley- I'm glad that work is going well for you! And I hear on the anticipation for Christmas!

Marylizah- I hope everything works out for you guys, RE: France. You all have been so patient being here, but I can tell that your heart is in France.
Still keeping you in my prayers! I had ordered a great book last year that explains Advent, and it gives the Christian meaing for the things like the candy Cane, Christmas Tree, Christmas Lights, etc. etc. There is a page to read everyday, and usually a little craft to do with the kids. The girls have loved it so far!

Alaskaberry- Good for you! 30,000 is fantastic!! I really did not enjoy it this year like I did last year. My novel was uber-boring.
How far along are you now??

Max- Thos gifts sound wonderful! My biggest fight at Christmas is DH wanting to spend way too much. He always gets a very nice bonus in February, so he feels we don't have to budget much because it will all get paid off in a few months. I just don't want to spend so much, the kids don't need it, ya know??!!

Blue Lotus- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!
: Hope you had a great day!

We have had an insanely busy weekend. Yesterday morning the girls had Sunday School practice for their Christmas program, then Emma had a birthday party at Space Aliens, (So we ate there too!) then the older two and I went to Barnes and Noble to kill some time. They had an United Way program going on, so there was face painting, crafts, story time, etc. We stayed there for about an hour and a half. After that we went to see the play Madelines Christmas, and then to see my niece perform her Winter Dance. We finally got home at 8:30!! I was exhausted!

Today we have church, and then St.Nick is coming to the inlaws, so the girls are all excited to see him!

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!!!!!!!!!!
:

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
:
:

That kinda says it all about me, today! I've known I probably was for a few days but I was too busy to take a test until last night (! - have you ever known someone not to take a test because she was too busy?!?!)

I haven't told anybody except DH & the kids in real life yet. I will, I will, but I'm going to see some people I'd like to tell in person over the holidays so I may wait a little while for that . . .

We should be expecting our third child around August 15.

The sweetest thing so far has been that when I was getting ready to take the test, DS2 was watching, asking what everything was, and so forth. When I said it would tell us if I had a belly baby in my tummy, he got really quiet and said he didn't want a baby right NOW. He clearly thought that if I took the test and it said I was pg then there would be a baby in our house LAST NIGHT! Poor babe! I explained that it would take a long time for the baby to come out and that he would be a big boy by the time it did. Big like DS1, he asked? Yes, (sort of) I said. At first he thought that was better, and then he decided he didn't WANT to be a big boy, and then he changed his mind again and decided it was a good idea to keep growing. SOOOOO CUTE. DS1, by the way, was playing Club Penguin & completely ignoring this whole conversation!

Anyway.

Hope you all are well. Sydnee & Alaskaberry, congrats on the novels or a little less. Marylizah, your Christmas plans sound lovely and it sounds like you and your DH are starting to discern your path again . . . Shabazin, your daughters are lovely!

Take care!

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi mama friends. Just a quick check in to let you know I'm thinking of you all. I am sick again, so not up for posting much.
: But I have to say congratulations to Mamabeakley!!! Wonderful news.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
YAY!!!! A new baby for Mama Beakley!!!

Boo... A new sick for Max

Sydnee, it sounds like you are always on the go! Does Alayna still nap? Three times this week we had ambitious busy days and ended up bailing on evening plans because it seemed like that would just Phoebe over the edge or it would disrupt the precious nap.

Shahbazin, they are so cute! We just took a family picture in the first snow of the year and we have a few good ones to pick from.

Mary, it's funny how totally unsurprised by you wanting to move back to France. But it must be nice to have the ILs far away while you are here!

Mia, we are thinking about calendars too, but I wish there was a nice way to have a current picture for each month--by next December the picture will be a year old and kids change so fast at this age! I think dh is making a photo book again for his parents--they seem more into them than my parents do.

Blue Lotus, I keep thinking about nightweaning too, and I'd base my strategy on Dr. Jay Gordon's plan, but then I keep thinking it's not a good time or as soon as I get really fed up she starts a stretch of sleeping pretty well. Or I just think about how she is perfectly capable of discussing the situation and reasoning with, so why can't we just approach it by talking a lot about it?

Phoebe is asleep on my lap and I REALLY wish I knew how to break this habit. I have a million things to do (some of them are online, which is good to do now, but not all og them!) and she sleeps for 2-3 hours just fine on her own when dh puts her down! I only do naps on preschool days (Mon and Tue), so I'm the irregularity. MIL is coming Wednesday and we have a lot of cleaning to do! I'm hosting the staff Christmas party next week, I have two Yankee Swaps to prepare for, and 3 solstice parties next week. I'm excited, but that's a LOT of cooking and stuff. Report cards are due this week and I have very few gifts ready! EEK!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MamaBeakley! Congratulations
:

Marylizah, I'm sorry things aren't working out for you back here, but I hope something opens up in Paris soon!

Max, I hope you get better soon!

Shahbazin, Annie and Beth are too sweet! The picture I stuck on our Christmas card is pretty un-Christmasy, at least they're wearing red I guess.

DD is slowly getting better, but Disneyland was out most definitely!

We've got one free weekend before we leave for IA so I'm hoping no one else gets sick before then, thought yesterday DS was super sniffly and coughing at the movie we went to see, but today seems fine.

I seriously don't understand what the heck is going on with my little sickies. They eat well, spend time inside & outside playing, are always covered outside, get enough sleep, etc. and we always seem to be getting sick

Today their dolls came in the mail- I'm so excited for them to get them, I really want to keep them for myself!

By the way DS did have a good time yesterday despite not getting to go to Disneyland. We got him a beanbag and a mini spider encyclopedia, a punching bag & some dragon/knights playmobil set. I made him a felt crown (that he wore all day
) and finished up a cowboy embroidery that I was making him.

DH took him to breakfast by themselves and then to church where he moved up to a new class, and then when they got back we opened presents and I took him to my parents where he got a super duper rc dunebuggy that he flipped out over. My sister had made a huge mammoth poster that said Happy birthday that he was really excited about too. We went to lunch and then went and saw Bolt then came back home to play a bit with new toys and his poor recovering sister.

Gotta go, DS wants me to color with him.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Congratulations, Mamabeakley!
:
That is so exciting!!!! I hope you are feeling well, and that the first trimester passes quickly and smoothly!

Max, I hope you feel better soon.

Mia, DS' birthday sounds really lovely! I'm glad he had fun despite not being able to go to Disney, and I hope everyone stays healthy for your trip.

Shabazin, that picture is adorable! And I'm so glad your girls are enjoying the books. I know I enjoyed picking some out!

Ecoteat, sounds like you have a lot going on!! Re: the nightweaning-- have her 2 year molars come in? I swear that once DS got his, he started sleeping so much better, and didn't need to nurse at night anymore. Now, about 5 months after getting them he is basically sleeping through the night (although he refuses to sleep in his bed these days). Anyway, I think talking about it a lot and reasoning with her will make it possible to nightwean, they understand so much now.

And thanks to everyone for the support. Yeah, we miss France so much. I tried to ignore it for months, I told myself we were committed to being here, to giving it a shot. But maybe I've been gone so long that I really AM more French than American, because I really, really struggle with a lot of things here. Anyway, DH has an interview next week in CO, then is trying to line up 4 or 5 in Paris for the week after Christmas. He'll fly over and (hopefully) find something, then come back 1-2 months later so we can all travel over together. In the meantime, once he's got something lined up, I'll have to sell the car, go through all our stuff to see what we can toss/donate, find movers, pack stuff up, get the cat vaccinated again (poor baby) and basically do all the logistical stuff. Somehow, this doesn't worry me at all! I feel very
: at the thought of going back. I'm trying to find a time to talk with a friend in Paris who had exactly the same situation, (left France for about a year, came back because her DH couldn't find work, etc) because she has an interesting perspective on it.

Things I will miss if we leave: our new, good friends that we made here, swings at the parks, good hamburgers, my family, having lots of space, sunshine.

Things that I miss now: not having a car, healthcare, the bakeries and restaurants, the museums and the beauty of the city, our friends and family who live there, food that is NOT genetically modified, the open-air markets, walking everywhere, public transportation, food that isn't full of HFCS, food that isn't overly sweet, rain, being able to travel all over Europe at the drop of a hat, life in a big city, good movies, good bookstores, I could go on, but you get the picture!

Funny how long it took me to realize I didn't really want to be here!

Ah, such is life, live and learn.

Hugs to all!

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
Mary, Phoebe doesn't have her 2 year molars. I had actually forgotten that I figured she would sleep better once they came in. She is SUCH a late teether, though, I have no expectation of seeing them before she's 3. So I guess I'll just wait it out for now or until I get fed up. But then I realize *I* want her to not nurse at night when she obviously needs it for whatever reason and nurses a lot. When she's sleeping better, I have no interest in rocking the boat so things just continue on.

Also, Mary, your list of things you miss makes me want to move to France!

Remember a few months ago when I was complaining that af was making me completely crazy and depressed? I think I may have figured it out--my IUD was making me bleed SO much that I must be getting really anemic during my period. And apparently that can affect your mood! af has gotten much shorter and lighter the past couple months, and coincidentally, so has the Crazies! So I'm figuring there's a connection there and I'm looking into good iron supplements to try.

Mia, didn't you drive to IA last year? How are you going this year? I hope you are all healthy for the trip!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post
:
:
Congrats!
I'm excited for you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
Hi mama friends. Just a quick check in to let you know I'm thinking of you all. I am sick again, so not up for posting much.
: But I have to say congratulations to Mamabeakley!!! Wonderful news.

Aw
I hope your household is all well and stays that way soon so you can enjoy Christmas.

Quote:

Originally Posted by **Mia** View Post
I seriously don't understand what the heck is going on with my little sickies. They eat well, spend time inside & outside playing, are always covered outside, get enough sleep, etc. and we always seem to be getting sick

We had a winter like that... IIRC it was Jan-Feb 07 and the kids all were getting sick constantly (Audrey just mildly since she was still nursing a ton). It was horrid and I was just going crazy trying to figure out why- we ate better back then to boot! But then the last couple of winters have been easier so I just wonder if that wasn't a time where the kids were just sick and really boosting their immunities for the future (now). I guess I am pulling the ol' "this too shall pass" in a way- but just think about how strong their immune systems are getting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marylizah View Post
Things that I miss now: not having a car, healthcare, the bakeries and restaurants, the museums and the beauty of the city, our friends and family who live there, food that is NOT genetically modified, the open-air markets, walking everywhere, public transportation, food that isn't full of HFCS, food that isn't overly sweet, rain, being able to travel all over Europe at the drop of a hat, life in a big city, good movies, good bookstores, I could go on, but you get the picture!
Sounds exciting! I had to laugh- you keep mentioning the awful food.
Ah, the lovely SAD diet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecoteat View Post
Remember a few months ago when I was complaining that af was making me completely crazy and depressed? I think I may have figured it out--my IUD was making me bleed SO much that I must be getting really anemic during my period. And apparently that can affect your mood! af has gotten much shorter and lighter the past couple months, and coincidentally, so has the Crazies! So I'm figuring there's a connection there and I'm looking into good iron supplements to try.
How smart of you to figure that out!
I'm glad to hear things are improving (please do check regularly for your string... a couple of my online friends have recently had migrating IUDs). May I suggest Floradix Liquid Iron + Herbs? It's quite good and much more natural than iron pills.

I can't believe it's only two weeks until Christmas!
:

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Hi all. I'm starting to finally feel better. Thanks for all the well wishes. I agree Mia - we are generally healthy & take good care of ourselves, but it seems like all winter long someone, if not several someones, in the house is/are sick.

MaryLizah, it sounds like you have a good plan in place. I continue to keep you in my thoughts that something wonderful will turn up for you. Oh, and on your lists you forgot to mention MIL...
I think we all know where she fits.

BBM, how is your brother doing? Is he transitioning back to being home OK? I bet it will be the best Christmas having him home with you!

Amy, you've got a lot going on mama! But you always amaze me with all you are able to accomplish. Any special plans for the holiday break?

Mamabeakley, any peggo signs yet? Here's hoping to a smooth, happy first trimester!!!

Shahbazin, you sure have some beautiful daughters!

Sydnee, congrats on nano! I don't know how you find the time. That is awesome. How's everything else in your world mama?

Kathryn, if you're reading - I hope you are having a most wonderful babymoon!

Blue Lotus, I hope you & your family are all well too and enjoying your sweet new babe.

Alaskaberry, I'd love to hear about your birth plans. I hope this third trimester is treating you well.

Hevyne, thinking of you mama & hope you are well.

Oh, and I wanted to tell you guys about a cute gift I just bought my girls. They have been really into learning about pilgrims, pioneer life, Little House on the Prairie so I found this lady online who makes matching pioneer aprons & bonnets. I can't wait for the girls to see them and see what kind of play evolves. It should be too adorable!

·
Registered
12,881 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~*max*~ View Post
BBM, how is your brother doing? Is he transitioning back to being home OK? I bet it will be the best Christmas having him home with you!
He's doing great... his job was held for him while he was gone so he had to go back to work Monday AM. He applied for an apartment this morning and it's only 4-5 blocks from our house which is fun... though it will definitely be a bachelor pad since he's going to share it with a guy he works with. He wants to buy a house, but we have to wait and see what happens with the auto industry since both he and my dad work at the GM plant... they could both be facing job layoffs. Thanks for asking!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.