Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured since we had a cloth diaper thread we need a babywearing thread too!
:

What kind of carrier is everybody planning on getting?
Or what do you already have and plan to use if this isn't your first? (And I think you should totally post pics of you babywearing if you already have a little one.
)

I think I've finally decided to start out with a moby wrap. For some reason it is one of the things I'm most excited about with the new baby.
:

·
Registered
781 Posts
My aunt is making me a moby wrap, so I guess we'll start out with that. My brother has been using it with his new baby and now that I've seen it in action I'm not so intimidated by it
My cousin also has one and really likes it. I don't know if we would be getting a second one or not, but I'll be following this thread trying to pick up some advice.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I have a:
Lucky Baby Pouch Sling
Moby style (homemade) wrap
Beco Baby Carrier

I used the pouch in the first few weeks in the cradle hold. Then again when he could hold his head up in a kind of kangaroo carry facing out, and also on the hip.

The Moby style is the most versatile. I used that up until I got the Beco. I hardly used the Beco because by the time I got it my son was WAY to busy to be slung anymore. He walked at 10 months and was bored with the sling by his first birthday!

I'm planning to do the same with this baby! Although having a Beco and using a back carry will be done way sooner with this one.

Oh, and I thought that I should mention that the two slings that I had but didn't like were a Mei Tai and a Maya ring sling. Just didn't feel comfortable/easy for me.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have a pouch sling from a local WAHM HugofJoy. She has great instructions on her website for wearing and for breastfeeding in the sling. I still carry my DD in it occassionally, she's 19 months and almost 30 lbs. Getting to the end of usefulness for her though. It's for short-term use when I need her contained, usually on my back now.

I also have an EllaRoo Mei Tai. It was a favorite for a while, between 6-12 months probably? Once you get over the intimidation of the straps (and figure out how to not drag them in the mud in parking lots) they are great. You can get buckles with them too, so that can make it a little easier (I don't have any).

I also have a home-made stretchy wrap. If this is a boy I may have to make a new one since the old one is pink camo.
It was great when DD was really little and too small for a mei tai.

I hate strollers.
: I have one, it serves its purpose, but I MUCH prefer to wear my baby than lug around a stroller or try to push one through a crowded area. I use it to go grocery shopping (to carry groceries!) and for long walks when I want real exercise, not to just dawdle along at DD's pace. And for the zoo or other such places where we're on our feet allll day.

ETA: I also owned a Ergo for a very short time. It was a first-generation and I hate hate HATED it. It just didn't fit right. I've heard they work best on certain body types and that type is not mine I guess.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have a Mody D wrap with the silk brocade panel, a Hotsling, a ToddlerHawk and a reversable BabyHawk. I LOVE my BabyHawks, I didn't use the Moby wrap with DD since I didn't get it till she was almost 18 months and almost too heavy for it. I used the Hotsling a lot till she was too tall to put in it easily. She still loves the BabyHawks though! I have a pic of my DH with her at Grand Teton this Sept, I'll post it when I find it.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
I'm poor, So I have a sewn and a no-sew ring slings. One is a light weight green fabric and one is currently a reclaimed bed sheet. I will probably make a "peanut sling" Just for kicks. Maybe a moby if I can round up that much fabric.

I don't know how people can drop up to $90 on a carrier. That seems so outrageous for a slip of fabric!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well, I am a wrap girl but will do a MT too. I have tried an O&A toddler with DS2 but really am not fond of it and thinking about selling it since we need the funds to pay the extra $1000 this baby caused when we thought we were losing her/him.

I have Inka 5.2, Colorado about 4.6 as I never measured, Urban Baby Pouch which grew to small with DS2 since he grew so quickly (picture is the incorrect size pouch as I got a different one, fabric to make a no sew RS or just tie, DIY Pod )picture 7 months preggo w/DS2), DIY MT, and 6 yds cotton gauze wrap which started me on my BWing journey when DS1 was 6-7 months old. I have a couple other carriers though not mine bc I am the BW Leader for my local area.

Not going to list what has been in the house and left already but there have been a few other carriers.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriket View Post
I don't know how people can drop up to $90 on a carrier. That seems so outrageous for a slip of fabric!
BC nothing has been able to touch my wovens!!!! I support and comfort I get too matters.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by JD5351 View Post
I'm so lucky I have a friend who can sew...lol. I suck at it. She'll make me one, but I'm not sure which style I want to do yet.
What have you tried? What seems like something you want to put LO in?

·
Registered
3,442 Posts
I LOVED my moby with Allie so I'm looking forward to getting more use out of that. I also just got a beco butterfly, and I have a maya wrap, new native pouch, kangaroo korner adjustable cotton pouch, solarveil hotsling that i only really use in the pool, and I plan to make a fleece pouch..hopefully that goes well, I've never sewn a carrier before!

·
Registered
708 Posts
i have an ergo, a mama made MT and a solerveil RS and its starts to get REALLY hot here in late May so i think the MT and ergo will make us sweat and uncomfortable but i think the RS will be perfect i'll just have to practice again at it its been a while since i wore ds in it....

what else do you mamas where in the HEAT of summer?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I have one I made that is basically a pouch sling. I made it when DD2 was born and it was wonderful!

Even though its not traditionally baby wearing - this is what I realllllly want to get an ergo http://myfavoritebabycarrier.com/ because I love the idea of carrying her on my back! I'm just too afraid the babe will fall out of the sling on my back.

DD2 will probably still want to be held quite a bit and I will need to be able to help DD1 in and out of the car, etc. So I need a good back carrier.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I have a maya ring sling, two maya pouches (one small, one medium), a peanut shell, and a mei tei. I am hoping to get a wrap of some sort for Christmas. If I don't get the wrap, I will most certainly buy one. I really like the ones from Nova Naturals.

I feel like I"m going to wear this baby all.the.time. It's the only way things are going to work smoothly, around here...I feel it in my bones.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kriket View Post
Having tried to sew my own properly sized pouch sling a couple of times and failing (and I am an avid and experienced sewer) I can understand! However, I got my mei tai used on a trade for some sewing (pillows with zippered slip-covers) and made the stretchy wrap myself. I know a few people that have THOUSANDS invested in carriers, especially wraps and THAT I don't get. But dropping the big bucks now and again for something that truly works for you, I can totlly get that.

DH left my pouch sling in the airport in August. I was SO upset. I got a new one, same as before, for less than half-price because they felt bad for me that I had lost the first one
The new one didn't fit quite the same (way too small) but they re-did it for me and I traded it back for another size that is almost as good as the first one. Also, DD has grown a few inches and several pounds since August so I think that accounts for some of the difference as well.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
I've been thinking about this too b/c it will be so hot in the summer. I was given a moby wrap but am wondering if that will be really hot, although I guess I could just wear one of those nursing tank tops and the moby. I want to get a ring sling in a nice cool breathable fabric as well. We are getting an Ergo (b/c I know DH will use it) for once baby gets a bit older and can hold it's head well. We hike/are outdoors a lot so I figured it would be good for that.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunCB View Post
What have you tried? What seems like something you want to put LO in?
I haven't tried any yet..Still in the "admiring" phase.
I like things that aren't too bulky, I'm really digging the wraps.
Sweetie's sister gave me this thing that looks like a backpack, but it is really stiff, and doesn't seem too comfortable.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I LOVe babywearing! It's the only way to survive multiple children!

I have a ring sling, 2 homemade mobys, a mei tai, a Hoppediz and and a homemade lightweight woven wrap. I want to make a new, lighter-weight mei tai.
This will be my first summer baby, but I have worn my kids in the summer, obviously.

I used the moby almost exclusively for the first 3 months or so. It's just so comfy! Once my kids can hold up their heads better, I used the rucksack carry some, but still mostly front carries. Once I felt confident with them on my back, they kinda lived there. If I went somewhere without a baby on my back, people would ask me where my attachment was LOL! I got pretty good at wrapping. We have a backpack, a Kelty, but it never got used once I learned how to wrap a baby on my back. There is just no substitute! Makes hiking a dream.
I agree about strollers. They have their place, but 95% of the time I would rather wear my baby than have to deal with a stroller. Such a pain.

For summer, I like my homemade wrap. I bought some lightweight shirting fabric at JoAnn this last spring. It's pink/yellow/green/silver. Kinda girly, but who cares? I'm girl!
I need to make it a bit narrower, but it is really nice for hot weather.
My mei tai I adore. I made it from some 1960's fabric a friend's mom gave me and lined it with polar fleece. It's great for winter, but I do believe I will want something a little lighter for this babe! It's the best for keeping in the car and using in places where taking the time/space to do the wrap isn't very practical. I can get a sleeping baby into it very quickly.

The ring sling totally stays in the car. I use it for when I forgot another carrier or need to make a quick, hands-free trip somewhere.
I have some babywearing pictures here. I have more on my hard drive, I'm sure, just can't find them. I swear I'm going to take more pictures with this LO!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I didn't do well with the pouch sling the first time. I always felt like the baby was too crunched up. I'm going to probably use a home made mei tai at first, and then switch to an Ergo...my all time favorite baby carrier.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.