Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up here in Northern MN, boys are circd. Luckily, thanks to another message board (didn't see this one yet), I learned about circing and that it is unnecessary, etc. DH and I had decided to not circ if we had a son (of course, this was CRAZY and we were NUTS, etc.). We ended up having a dd, so it wasn't an issue. Without said messageboard to teach me of the option of not circing, we would have done so without another thought, I'm sure.

Anyhow, my sister's friend and his wife found out they were expecting. So, I sent a little letter congratulating them, and offering to answer any questions they had re: bfing, unmed birth, and not circing their son. Mama to be was about 8w.

Well, they had a little boy about 3 weeks ago (with an epi, didn't even consider bfing). My sister visited them, came back home, and said her friend had asked her, "Why was it that your sister wasn't going to circ if she had a son?" Of course, my sister (25, no babies, not really 'into' this stuff yet) hadn't really paid attention to my reasonings (though she was supportive of whatever we decided), so she didn't have much to tell him. I gave her my reasonings, offered to call, and I even e-mailed him again and invited him to ask me about it. Heard nothing.

A few days later, my sister starts telling me how friend and his wife regret circing their son, they were both horrified, bawled after it happened, etc. I felt really badly until she says something about the friend saying, "They didn't have enough time to think about it." What?!?

I mentioned this 7 months ago! You had seven months to ask me questions, do your own research, etc! Was 7 months not enough time? Really? I don't blame people that have never had the option of not circing presented, but it was presented to them.

So, I feel badly for them, for their son. I feel badly for all of the people in my 'neck of the woods' that circ without a second thought. Ugh. I guess my only hope is that maybe they'll do research now, and not do it again if they have another ds. And, maybe they will begin educating others.

Sigh. Thanks for letting me get this out.

Theresa

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
At least you planted the seed....maybe it will sprout and help out their future sons or their friends' sons.

·
Registered
214 Posts
How sad. No time? Really? I don't get that. We read and research everything under the sun when pg., and then people, who, out of the goodness of their hearts, offer advice and a person to ask questions of, the person then pretends that they didn't have time??????

Boy, if 7 months isn't long enough, I sure as h-e-two sticks don't know what is....

Sue

btw,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.