Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my first child so I understand that I may be deluding myself but I am really excited for a time when I wake up throughout the night not because I'm uncomfortable or have to pee but because a baby needs me.

I feel like I'll be able to better handle that

· Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't think that is being naive, first time mom or not! Waking up to your beautiful baby is so much better than waking up for a trip to the potty or being uncomfortable. I just had my little girl 11 days ago and I love waking up to see her little face, no matter what the time and I know I am not crazy!! lol!

· Registered
461 Posts
I remember feeling the same way when I was pregnant with my first. And yes, I did prefer getting up with my child much more than getting up to go to the bathroom. One thing I didn't anticipate was that I was hardly "getting up." It was a great surprise, but I could do everything I needed while laying down and I no longer needed to make bathroom trips in the night! I could nurse and change diapers/ec if needed right there in bed.

I can't wait to be up with my baby instead of by myself again.

Amy

· Registered
421 Posts
Just remind yourself of that on the nights baby is crying rather than in a sweet just hungry or playful mood! It is easy to forget sometimes....

· Registered
1,965 Posts
I totally agree with you! There is no reward for you right now. When you are woken up by your precious baby, it is so rewarding. Especially to nurse!
I do not like being pregnant. I am so ready for my baby to hold!

· Registered
1,878 Posts
That's a wonderful thought ciga!
I look forward to hearing what my baby's cry, coo and laugh sounds like.
I'm sure there will be a time when I'm so tired and worn out, but just like with all that has come with this pregnancy, i will remind myhself of what a miracle making, growing, birthing and having a baby is.

· Registered
7,286 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Deir View Post
That's a great attitude!!!!

I feel that way for about 6 months and then I'm like "What have a I done!!?" LOL
Yes. The newborn phase has been so easy with both my kids... and nursing a newborn is just the sweetest thing...

But both my kids started crawling around 5 or 6 months and then walking before 9 months... So my "baby" phase quickly turns to the "ugh, toddler" phase...

· Registered
445 Posts
I know I handle it better.
I find that I can handle the exhaustion of not getting much sleep. It's this totally physically exhausted/uncomfortable pregnancy ick that I can't stand. I always feel 1000% better after the baby is born.
Of course, as it's been said, it seem you quickly forget how uncomfortable you were pregnant and are ready for that kiddo to sleep...

· Registered
4,890 Posts
That's not naive at all! That's a completely valid (and, imo, very real!) thought! I too, cannot WAIT to be waking up to a newborn instead!!! Newborn care is MUCH easier, I think!!

And yeah.. I'm just ready for baby to be on the OUTSIDE!!! lol

· Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by skeeter30 View Post
I don't think that is being naive, first time mom or not! Waking up to your beautiful baby is so much better than waking up for a trip to the potty or being uncomfortable. I just had my little girl 11 days ago and I love waking up to see her little face, no matter what the time and I know I am not crazy!! lol!
That's exactly what I am envisioning. I know it is going to be lovely and hard at the same time and pregnancy has mostly been pretty good but I just can't wait to be able to move like a normal person and to be holding my baby.

· Registered
3,550 Posts
My facebook status last night: looking forward to bed tonight. Post-baby sleep, although smaller in quantity, is so much better than late pregnancy sleep!

· Registered
2,312 Posts
Charmie said pretty much what I was going to say. There is nothing like sleeping with baby on the outside. The first thing I did after DS2 was born, fall face first into my bed and go to sleep.
The quality of sleep is so much better.
And like skeeter said, seeing that sweet baby makes the wakings worth it.

· Registered
411 Posts
Totally! When I say that I can't wait to not be pregnant, everyone jokes with me about how life gets "worse" when you have a baby.. they're screaming and you're up all night feeding and taking care of them blah blah... It's incredibly annoying because I really would rather have a sweet baby than be pregnant. Why don't they get that?? I suppose many friends who don't have kids yet see them as a huge inconvenience. After 7 months of hyperemesis, I'll take a baby, thankyouverymuch!

· Registered
710 Posts
I feel the same way. I couldn't believe how much easier I found it to get up with a newborn than I found it to be pregnant. I don't like being pregnant though, and by the end I just feel badly all of the time. Having a newborn is so delightful, and I also found that I could sleep while nursing and that it hardly interrupted my sleep at all.

· Registered
295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikelet View Post
Totally! When I say that I can't wait to not be pregnant, everyone jokes with me about how life gets "worse" when you have a baby.. they're screaming and you're up all night feeding and taking care of them blah blah... It's incredibly annoying because I really would rather have a sweet baby than be pregnant. Why don't they get that?? I suppose many friends who don't have kids yet see them as a huge inconvenience. After 7 months of hyperemesis, I'll take a baby, thankyouverymuch!
I think it has a lot to do with choices the parents make.

I can imagine that getting up out of bed, getting the crying baby, going to the kitchen, mixing up formula (all while baby is crying), rocking and feeding, burping, changing, and then trying to walk/rock/bounce the baby back to bed in the middle of the night is exhausting! This is what my friends with babies were telling me about when my DD was a baby.

I was like Really? My baby sleeps next to me. Our sleep cycles are in sync, so I wake up when she starts fidgeting, before she starts crying, and I change her quickly, latch her on, and we both fall back asleep without either us us really waking ALL the way up or getting out of bed.

I noticed that if I picked her up and put her on my shoulder or anything, it woke her all the way up, but if she stayed horizontal, she went right back to sleep quicky. I don't think I would have even noticed that if she had slept in her crib.

There were some hard nights around 6 weeks, but by 3 months, we stayed in bed from 10pm-10am together every day.

I am just wondering how that is gonna work with a bouncy 3yo in the bed.

· Registered
5,947 Posts
DD slept in a cradle in our room for the first 2 or 3 weeks, then in our bed, and I was still exhausted all the time for the first few months - and I'm someone who normally only needs 6 hours to feel great.
In fact, I was just telling DH that I'm freaked out because I'm SO tired now, that I don't even want to think about how tired I'm going to be after the baby's born. And now I find out that I'm the only one who feels that way. Oh well. lol I still can't wait for baby to be out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.