Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not on MDC all the time, but when I am I find myself wishing I could only MEET mamas like you. It's great to chat and ask/answer questions with like-minded people. Sometimes I catch myself feeling like I must be the only one in my area that breastfeeds, uses cloth diapers, cosleeps, and just simply has a open mind. Very few of my close girlfriends have had a baby yet....only one other, so it would be great to meet some cool new mama friends!!

Anyone up for it? I'm in Norwood, but meeting almost anywhere in Massachusetts would be fine with me.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Well, I don't have my baby yet, but I'm the first person in my group of friends to be pregnant, so I'd love to meet other mamas/mamas-to-be. I'm about 7 months along.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yah! I'm so glad that you all wrote back. I think it's great we have a mix of different ages with our babies, and one pregnant mama!
My daughter is almost 8 months old.

I was thinking that we should meet up at a state park or someplace like that. Lots of room for the kids and maybe even a playground or picnic area? Anyone know of any nice parks near them? In my area, there's Borderland State Park in Sharon. I'm open to meeting pretty much wherever. We could switch up the locations too, of course, if we continue with it.

Write your ideas for our get together, mamas....when? what to do? interested in food or not? know any fun get-to-know-you games? Whole families should be invited.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi. We are in Dartmouth and would love to meet other MDC families. We are also interested in setting up a playgroup (if anyone is interested). I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. My 3 year old, especially, loves playing with other children. Is anyone in my area??? We could meet at Buttonwood (for the first time).

·
Premium Member
12,214 Posts
I like Elm Bank reserve in Wellesley. There's even an area for kids. Also has a small picnic area. We could meet at the Children's Garden (kid's area).

I'd also be up for meeting at Sturbridge Village. This does cost money though. I have to renew my membership though and could get a discount for one family.

My last choice would be Roger Williams Park. It's a nice park...but boring at times. LOL. We could meet at the Carousel area.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I would love to meet you mamas! I seem to have a recurring problem w/ meeting other AP families, though: the places are never T accessible. I don't have a car so if the T can't get me there, then I'm out.

I'll keep checking in though. Just thought I'd throw in my two cents.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
We'd love to meet up, too! I have a 4.5yo son and would vote for something free
: and T accessible.

Hopin' we can work something out.

thanks for the idea!
megin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are so many families interested! That's so great. What this group needs is a good organizer, and I fear I am not, but I will try my best. Feel free to make suggestions and help me along the way. I just came up with idea....

I like the idea of meeting at Elm Bank Reservation in Wellesley. I've never been there, but it's not far and I'm always up for a new place to visit. If others would like to check it out, you can find some info at www.masshort.org/
It seems like a nice place, where families could choose to either go off and do an activity or stay and talk/eat/play at the picnic area. Probably a little of both, I would imagine. Sound good??

I've been wanting to go back to Sturbridge Village actually, and anyone who has never had the opportunity should totally try to go. Maybe we could plan that for another time before the winter starts? Let's meet eachother at a free location first, as not to discourage people from showing up.

As for T accessiblity, I looked at the schedules although I have no clue where they actually drop you. There are a few commuter rail stops in Wellesley (Wellesley Square, Wellesley Hills, Wellesley Farms). Does anyone know if any of these are close to the reservation entrance?
I would also like to offer a ride to someone who doesn't have a vehicle. We will have room for one adult and one child (but you would need to bring your child's carseat with you, of course....don't know if that would be possible) This could also be a ride for two adults? My husband and I (and baby) would pick someone up at either the Wellesley stops or another T stop. PM me if you're interested.

As far as you Western MAers are concerned....I would love to see you all there. I would be willing to move these get togethers around so that we could make it fair for a range of people. If this just doesn't seem to work, perhaps you guys would like to make your own get together plans. Up to you.

I still need imput on a date and time. I'm sure a weekend would be better for most people. The next weekend my family is available is Oct. 20 or 21st. Then Sunday the 28th. Then we're into November. Do these work for anyone? I wish I could do it sooner, but I will be away in the beginning of Oct. It'd be great to see you guys before we have to meet inside somewhere. I guess we should have a bad weather date too, just in case.

Food? What do people think about just bringing munchies and sharing? Sort of like a potluck, but not so complicated. Fruit, cheese and crackers, veggies and dips, etc. Please tell me if you have another idea, but I imagine people (especially little ones) will get hungry.

If anyone wants to start a voting system or poll for something, please do so. I just don't know how.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I'm up for meeting as well, I have a three year old and a one year old. I live in Middleboro (south shore). Elm Bank is about an hour from us. I'd be more than willing to host a get-together here, we have a nice big fenced-in backyard, and we're easy to get to. If we're talking about a weekend, are we thinking of including DH/SO as well? Weekend is usually family time for us. A potluck sounds great too, although we'll have to make sure we take into account allergies/food preferences, unless we all just want to bring what we know we can eat and label it with ingredients (may be easier). The weekend of October 20th is best for us.
Keep me posted.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would love to meet up too. You know, Mass is 4 hours from west coast to east coast, so I think that trying to make one location work for everyone probably won't cut it.

I would definitely be up for Wellesley or something T accessible like Boston Common. We are free on the 21st and 28th of October.

Maybe we should start new threads for specific locations?

Ali

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey there! I'm interested (I have a 5 year old and a 2 year old). I would be willing to drive if necessary. I live in Southeastern MA

The only problem with meeting up in a place like Sturbridge Village is I can bet that there wouldn't be too much talking going on because everyone would be chasing their kids off in different directions in and out of the buildings. If we met in a big outdoor area we could all bring outdoor toys and just let all the kids run in a big pack and the babies can sit in the grass with toys and the moms could actually talk to another mom without having to stop after every other sentence, kwim?

Since we all have kids I can bet we would all have snacks for them anyway so it might be kind of fun to have a bunch of snacks laid out that the little ones could pick at.

I think this is a great idea.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.