Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not planning on having children for a long time yet, but the concept of UC is really beginning to intrigue me.

Here's my questions...

+ Why did you choose UC?

+ For those of you who have experienced both a UC and a hospital birth, how did the pain of each compare? I've noticed that the pain seems to be a much more central part of the hospital birth experience... do you think the lack of intervention makes a difference?

+ Also, what do you think about pain in general during childbirth? It seems to me that if animals can birth large litters with little pain, we women should be capable of the same if we're not pre-conditioned to think that it should be painful. All four of my mother's births were heavily medicated, so she's in no position to have an opinion. :/

+ Why do most UC mothers choose to opt out of postnatal PKU testing? It's a really terrible disease, and a simple blood test can prevent mental and growth retardation... is the test itself horrible or something? I have a lot of trouble reconciling this decision in my mind.

+ What about zoning laws? Are there any laws against in-home birthing... particularly in MO, PA, OR?

+ This is a little OT, perhaps, but what are your experiences with tearing? It's a great fear of mine... is it greatly lessened in the self-led birthing process? Does perineal massage make a difference?

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, I'm planning a UC for my next baby, but I havne't had one before. So, someone else might give you more complete info, but heck, I'm here, I'll post.

Why did I choose UC? UC chose me. I really shut down when others are at my birth. I don't want anyone around. I just want my body to do what it naturally needs to do. An attendant gets in the way of me doing that.

I've never had a hosptial birth but golly, I can imagine it would make my labors much more painful!!! :LOL

For me pain in childbirth is much different than pain like if you break your leg or something. I personally wouldn't choose to use the word pain to describe birth. I'd say intense, I'd say strong, I'd say very heavy, but not pain. There are plenty of UC'rs that have experienced painful labors though. I choose to do hypnosis for childbirth. There are a lot of different programs out there that focus on pain-free labors. If that's what calls to you, you might want to check some out. www.hypnobabies.com www.hypbirth.com www.hynobirthing.com

PKU Testing -- UC is about personal choice and being responsible for your and your baby's health. If you want the test go for it. There is nothing standing in the way.

As far as I know UC is not illegal anywhere. MW is illegal or alegal in some states though.

Pushing when you want to push and listening to your body prevents tearing. And, views on perineal massage differ. Personally I did it with my first when I felt like I wanted to do something to help prevent tears (last month my DH would gently do it). I didn't do it again though because I didn't feel I needed it after that first pregnancy. It seems like most of the UCrs don't tear. The ones that do typically have old tears that reopen. You are very wise to begin researching birth now. You can prevent a lot of damage to your body and your psyche (and your baby).

Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think it's great that you have discovered an interest in UC before you are pregnant. So did I (2 years before I got pregnant) and it makes all the difference in the world. You now have time to educate yourself about UC, read books, get on websites and start your bank of knowlege. Essentially, you have time to dispell your fears about birth (tearing, seeming unresponsible, dealing with combative families, deciding if you need some prenatal care, etc).

Most of the answers to the questions you asked can be found in a array of books. I myself have read the following:

--Immaculate Deception ( great expose on hospital births versus home birth with good stats)

--Childbirth Without Fear

--The Power of Pleasurable Chldbirth (first hand account of UC birth compared to midwife assisted births)

--Waterbirth: An attitude to Care (written for midwives, it was still pretty informative if you want to go this route)

--Spiritual Midwifery (The only thing I liked about this book was the first hand accounts of birth. However, the author feels that all births should be midwife assisted and she was very aggressive and interfering in her patient's births. Read this one after you have formed an opinion on UC. Also, the author routinely performed episiotomes on most of them "so the wouldn't tear". We actually know now that tearing is generally better and certainly heals faster.)

--The Thinking Woman's Guide to A better Birth ( more home birth V. hospital birth stuff. Does not necessarily take UC into account though)

--Emergency Childbirth: A Manual (Makes your partner feel better about being able to handle any complications at home. Straightforward directions in a spiral bound book on what to do if there are complications. Written for firefighters and police officers.)

--All of the birth stories on Laura Shanley's unassistedchildbith.com site. Lots of UC breech birth and surprise twin stories with happy endings. Builds your confidence that you can do it, too.

My baby is due in late August or early September. I'm having him/her herer in the dining room in a birthing tub with only my husband and my Mothr present. My Mom had me and my sister at home and is very supportive of my decision. I had to convince my husband about the idea, but luckily, he already knew about UC and my interest in it. I just had him do some reading and flat out told hi that therre was no way that I was going to a hospital and that I DID NOT want a midwife and why. He read "THe Power of Pleasurable Childbirth" and that really got it through to him.

Good luck on your journey! You discovered UC for a reason!

Jess

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
+ Why did you choose UC?

I'm very sensitive to the energy of the people around me, especially during birth, and I didn't want that interfering with my body's ability to release hormones properly. In other words, I wanted to avoid unnatural adverse conditions and complications.

+ Also, what do you think about pain in general during childbirth? It seems to me that if animals can birth large litters with little pain, we women should be capable of the same if we're not pre-conditioned to think that it should be painful.

I agree, but I don't think it's all about conditioning. I think a lot of pain has to do with the birth environment (keeping the woman "in her head"), the management and guidance of birth, and the lifestyle-induced physical condition of the mother's body.

+ Why do most UC mothers choose to opt out of postnatal PKU testing? It's a really terrible disease, and a simple blood test can prevent mental and growth retardation... is the test itself horrible or something? I have a lot of trouble reconciling this decision in my mind.

Diagnosis is not an immediate thing -- first the baby is screened (which is usually done a week postpartum,) and if that comes back with results in a certain range, then diagnostic tests are done. The whole process is likely to take 3-4 weeks. In that time, parents could be educated to watch for signs of PKU, but aren't. If you are one of the few who have taken it upon yourself to watch from the very beginning for these signs instead of waiting a month for conclusive test results, you might just decide to forego the testing entirely and avoid the trauma to the baby and possibility of acquiring an infection in the hospital while the testing is being done. I'm not saying that testing is a wrong or bad choice. I'm just offering up the reasoning some people might have for not doing the test.

+ What about zoning laws? Are there any laws against in-home birthing... particularly in MO, PA, OR?

Homebirth is not illegal in any state. Practicing medicine without a license is,
which might impact your choice of attendants. In Oregon, though, you can do anything you want.

+ This is a little OT, perhaps, but what are your experiences with tearing? It's a great fear of mine... is it greatly lessened in the self-led birthing process? Does perineal massage make a difference?

Right about self-led birthing greatly lessening likelihood of tearing. I don't so perineal massage myself, doesn't make sense to me. If you do a search, you'll find plenty of threads about the controversy.

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
Ohhh -- I'd better add, PKU doesn't just test for PKU. What diseases (or, I guess I should "genetic abnormalities") are tested for vary from state to state for some reason, so I guess if you had particular concern about one or another you'd have to request a special test if they didn't already cover it.

Someone I know found (through the PKU test) that her daughter has hypothryroidism. The symptoms were clearly there -- not interested in nursing and very large head if I remember rightly were the key ones. But they weren't looking for the connection, so wouldn't probably have made it as soon as they did if it hadn't been for the test.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
+ Why did you choose UC?
We were seeking a "better way" to birth after our first dd was born in the hospital. We just knew something wasnt right with her birth, and finally pinpointed to problem. OB's and hospitals.

+ For those of you who have experienced both a UC and a hospital birth, how did the pain of each compare? I've noticed that the pain seems to be a much more central part of the hospital birth experience... do you think the lack of intervention makes a difference?
Pain was present at the hospital. Physical, mental, emotional. We had a vaginal birth with no surgical intervention, but it was not pleasant.
Ther was no pain at my UC. It was awesome.

+ Also, what do you think about pain in general during childbirth? It seems to me that if animals can birth large litters with little pain, we women should be capable of the same if we're not pre-conditioned to think that it should be painful. All four of my mother's births were heavily medicated, so she's in no position to have an opinion. :/
Yeah, you don't see sheep out in the field screaming and a vet running out with an IV. Just isn;t done. Why is that? Sorry ot here, but we trust the natural processes on the other "animals" in our kingdom...we're animals too, right?
Anyway...we are sadly pre-conditioned my the media, doctors and mainstream birthers that birthing with dignity means drugs.

Well the test is a clip of the heel and blood is collected on a card. I think an IV would be better. I am so PRO the PKU for one reason. I have Graves Disease. A Thyroid condition. The chances of my children having an issue with their thyroid is pretty good. My dd2 (us baby) has congenital hypothyroidism. We only discovered this after I requested a 2nd bloodtest at her 1 month checkup.
The PKU test I think should not be performed immediately after birth, but within 2-3 weeks, simply because the baby's blood still contains placental blood and (in our case) any problems are masked until the placental blood is used up.

Well, CT is pretty numb to the whole thing I think. Not sure about other places, however OR is pretty forward thinking with birth- just from what I have noticed. (Thanks to Pamamidwife!!!)

I didn't tear with either of my babies. and # 2 was almost 10 lbs.
I didn't do an massage. I was just patient with dd2 delivery. Luckily no tears with dd1 at the hospital.
Your skin's very elastic ya know...

·
Registered
5,203 Posts
+ Why did you choose UC?
I chose to UC after every birth story I read where there was a doctor or midwife attending started to make me angry. Every single one, I could pinpoint where they interfered (and often, what other unnecessary interventions that led to) and how that affected the birth negatively. I birthed my son at a hospital with a CNM who did an episiotomy on me for no reason, after breaking my water for no reason (at 9cm), and then left me to spend these past 2.5 years with pain at the incision site. I was planning on attending midwifery school next year after I get my BA, but something kept telling me that that was NOT the way to support women in pregnancy and birth, and that I should instead be working to empower women to do it themselves. I don't feel that there's any situation I could not handle myself, or know to transfer for in worst case scenarios, so why have strangers in my life when there presence isn't needed or wanted?

I spent most of my labor at home, and the pain got MUCH worse as soon as I left my door. I think it would've been much easier to manage at home.

I have pretty bad scoliosis, which is what I believe caused my birth to be so painful- that and the fact that he was born with his fist curled up right next to the widest part of his head. I am seeing a chiropractor this pregnancy and I hope that he can help my spine be in better shape for birth. Honestly, I was not expecting labor to be painful and it was, very. But I don't think that's the norm.

I don't need my child tested for a billion rare diseases, I just think the risks are soooo low that it's silly to worry about. If I take the baby to a doctor within the first few weeks for some reason I will have him/her tested, but otherwise, I'll let it slide.

I had an episiotomy at my first birth that still hurts. I think it was stitched badly. I am actually hoping it will tear this time and heal back in a better way.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sly Soprano said:
I'm not planning on having children for a long time yet, but the concept of UC is really beginning to intrigue me.

Here's my questions...

+ Why did you choose UC?

I had a midwife at my 1st birth and planned to do the same this time. Only I had a HORRIBLE experience with my ex-midwife who turned out to be dishonest and unethical. Since the midwives in town are so cliquey I didn't feel safe choosing another midwife. Everything I have experienced from the time I decided to UC has confirmed that decisions-a feeling of freedom and relief, hearing horror story after horror story about midwife-attended homebirths, etc.

I didn't have a hospital birth 1st time around, but I think there are a number of reasons for the pain. 1st, we are conditioned to believe that it must be painful. You never hear about painless births. 2nd, our birth canals really are a tighter fit than most other primates. 3rd, lack of knowledge when something as powerful as labor takes over your body can be terrifying. 4th, in the hospital, they put you in the most uncomfortable position to give birth and also the most difficult position because it is convenient for the doctors, and then don't let women move because they are being monitored. Both the position they must stay in and the inability to shift position add greatly to the pain. Imagine having a leg cramp and your doctor telling you that you can't move to shift weight off you leg!!!

See above. I think I got carried away there
:

Many women feel there is a low likelihood of those complications and that the heel-stick that they do is cruel. Personally, I am having them do the whole range of metablic tests since it just takes that one heel-stick. I feel that even though the odds are low, unlike vaccines there aren't side effects to worry about. Further, most of the metabolic disorders can be controlled with diet-and the results of not controlling the diet when they exist is often mental retardation or even death.

I don't know about the laws in those states. Sorry.

I had what the midwives called a micro-tear the last time and that was it. I think tearing is greatly lessened when you do it yourself because you trust your own body and push at the rate that feels right to you. Even with my midwife-assisted homebirth, they were telling me when to push and I wasn't having any urges to push. I had thought that for some reason the instinct didnt' kick in, but from what others have said, sometimes there is a lag between the time you reach 10 cm and when the urge to push comes. Also, the kind of pushing that is encouraged (where they all yell "Push, push" whenever you have a contraction) at most hospitals and by some midwives increases the likelihood of tearing.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
+ Why did you choose UC?

** because...
1. i trust deeply in my body's ability to birth a baby that i grow,
2. i am a very private person and wanted to be as unhindered as possible, which for me meant laboring alone / mostly alone
3. i feel that birth is the completion of an act of love betwen two people and as such, ought to be a sacred experience between those two people, not an event managed / observed / meddled / interfered with or by any "outsiders"...

** the lack of intervention made a giant difference. when i was free to listen completely to my instincts ~ it still hurt like H but it was a whole different experience....

** ah... some people will have pain ~ a LOT of women will have pain ~ during childbirth, and that doesn't necessarily mean we've been conditioned, or we're afraid. pain is how our bodies tell us what to do, how to move, what positions to be in. during birth, if we hurt, and we seek out positions that relieve the pain, then we can know that those positions are the ones we need to be in at that point of time for the most optimal progression of labor.

** we refused it, because it is typically a genetic disorder and there are risk factors associated with it... for us the risk seemed very low, and we couldn't justify having her stuck with needles when she was still so new and peaceful.

** here in Cali there aren't. i'm not sure about those others.

i tore very badly wth my 1st (perineal and cervical), who was a hospital birth ~ on my back, drugged, etc ~ and my 2nd (freebirth) i didn't tear at all (see my birthstory, in my sigline
). this is where positioning and relaxation play a huge role. being relaxed, in an upright or even semi-upright position, and {i can't stress this enough} WAITING for the urge to push (as opposed to just pushing because someone says you're ready) ~ these are the biggest things you can do to prevent tearing.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Hi there....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sly Soprano

Here's my questions...

+ Why did you choose UC?

I chose UC because where I lived in 1989 the better of the two hospitals was still knocking women out for the birth. I had already had on homebirth, and knew i could do it on my own if I had to. It was the best decision of my life...

In study after study, the lack of intervention makes a HUGE difference, as does the mobility of the mothers. In places where the mother is not allowed to move, especially in the US, pain is not only introduced, where it might not have been, but once it is there is much greater than it otherwise would have been. Mobility helps the mom be more comfortable, and the baby to move to the optimal birthing position. I have had two posterior babies that turned themselves around during labor that would not have been able to do so had i been in hospital. I have had all painless labors.

Niether was my mom. I have had no pain. I had strong back labor with the posteriors(my two homebirths) but it wasn't painful as long as I moved around and got on my hands and knees. For those who have done posterior births in the hospital, my hat is off to you! You must be saints!:smile

For those who have no family history, there is no need to subject a newly born baby to a painful heel prick. However, if there IS any PKU sensitivity in the family, I would be watching diet closely...some people might want to know if there is a sensitivity.

None that I am aware of, nor can there be, since babies are born in cars, homes and other places out of hospital all the time. I would exercise prudence however, if anyone asks where you are planning to give birth, and I would not say I am planning a UC...I would say I was planning a homebirth, which in not illegal anywhere. Someplaces it is illegal to pay someone to attend. But you can have the baby anywhere you want. Hospitals certainly cannot claim a lower infant mortality or safety rate!

Sometimes it does, but when you are feeling the baby move down, you can also feel to let go of the muscles in the perineum(which is something you cannot do with an epidural!) so you can relax and let the baby come out slowly and avoid tearing. My UC was my biggest baby, and many UCers have 11 lb babies without a single tear. It is all in the control and letting go....hth.

Thanks for reading.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.