Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would take the opportunity to start the thread this week (I feel so important
)

So, I ran about 7 miles yesterday. I was going to go further and then realized if I wanted to make dh breakfast for fathers' day that I needed to head on home. It was an awesome run, very cool and crisp. The dog was lovin' it!!

I'm off today, which is a good thing 'cause I'm getting a head cold. I'll run ~3 miles tues, wed, and thurs and take fri off before my race.

I have loose goals in my head of what I want to accomplish at the race, but I'm hesitant to put them down. I always have my realistic goal and unrealistic goal

See you running!

·
Registered
104 Posts
bbm--We respect all of your goals. Don't hesitate to share! You will only get support and congratulations here.

On the last thread I posted about my run yesterday. I didn't mention that a little over six miles is my longest run yet. It was so awesome! I look forward to pushing it again next weekend.

This week: Everyday Pilates, 40 p/us, s/us, obliques, leg lifts. I really need to focus on these this week since dh is traveling. Most running will be Thursday through Saturday. Any runs at the beginning of the week will be pushing dc. I am shooting for four times for 30+ minutes. Perhaps a 5k on Sunday.

Just a side note: My roomie from college is coming into to town for a visit on Sunday. We are going to see Madonna!!!!
for her birthday Monday night next week. I am sooo pumped!

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Thanks for starting the thread. You beat me to it.

To be clear to any lurkers.... This is a very inclusive running group at all levels of fitness. All are welcome, and the only competition is with ourselves. The group is for support and information.

Quote:

Originally Posted by babybugmama
I have loose goals in my head of what I want to accomplish at the race, but I'm hesitant to put them down. I always have my realistic goal and unrealistic goal

BBM ~ State your goals here. At least the realistic ones. We'll cheer you on!

My week: Go running 4 times (MWFSa), though I may need a "Get Me Out Of This House And Away From My FIL" run on Thursday. I've got a hectic week to say the least, but I'm gonna do it.

News: I got a bathing suit on Saturday! It fits! It looks ... AWSOME.

(DH "Wow, I guess you really have lost some weight."
)

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by e&e's_mama
I am shooting for four times for 30+ minutes
Awsome! Is that a first??

Remember that pushing a stroller is a lot more work than running on your own, so expect to go more slowly and maybe be more tired.

Way to go!

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
yesterday I was planning my first long run to train for the 1/2 marathon I am going to do in october (note the use of "plan"). I managed to get one of my headaches, so decided to lay low and run after dinner. Did a bit of cleaning up in the yard -- last summer we built a deck, dh is not a master crasftsman and I had a velcro baby so there's still leftover old deck to get to the curb for garbage.

anyhow, was wearing sandals, went in to give dd a bath and I had a tick on my foot!!! Now I'm a pretty go with the flow kinda person, but ticks are so darn nasty. So dh had to go out to get tweezers to get it off of me. by that time just called it a night.

my lab tests came back negative -- no diabetes or funky thyroid. frustrating, but I might have figured it out -- either low Mg or low Ca, or both. When I was pregnant I took a supplement for both in addition to my prenatal. I'm going to try again. Will report back.

6 and 7 miles !!! WTG mamas. That should be me in a few weeks. I'd love to get up, run and then head over to IHOP. No IHOP here though, just a yucky perkins.

my revised plans for the week:
monday: 4.5 miles
tuesday: off
Wed: 2.5 miles
Thursday and/or Saturday: 1.8 miles one day, bike ride with dd the other day.

I forgot to add: Grandma's marathon was here this weekend. it is like the 7th largest in the nation? it runs right on my usual route for running. We took dd down to watch the head of each pack -- the foreign top finishers, the women, the wheelchair race. It was very fun and dd loved to clap at the people passing

Whew long message.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hello everyone. What an inspiration you are to me. Plan is to run 5 or more today, treadmill tomorrow as dh will be away, run 4-5 on wednesday and thursday. have to work Fri. Maybe a run sat morning before work.

BBM-Wasn't the weather great for running yesterday. I actually wasn't soaking wet when I was done.

e&e's mama- Congratualtions on the 6 plus mile run. That is my next goal. Just hit 5. Forgot to add how is your face feeling? Hope you are well.

Geofizz-Aren't dh's wonderful with their comments sometimes. Glad to hear the bathing suit looks great.

Kerc-Aren't those professional marathoner's amazing. They make it look so effortless. My sil would run just over 5 minute miles in the marathon and would look terrific. Now me on the other hand am pushing myself very hard when I try for 8.5-9 minute miles. Glad to hear your lab tests were fine. Happy running today.

Patti

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geofizz
News: I got a bathing suit on Saturday! It fits! It looks ... AWSOME.
what's the spelling for a big old "i'm a construction guy whistling at the woman walking down the street" noise?

That is fabulous news.

I went to the beach on saturday and wore shorts the entire time because my prebaby suit no longer fits over my post baby butt. I'm giving it time though. No sense in rushing these things

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
pretty new here, but i'd like to join. i can certainly use the encouragement and motivation to get out there.

really mountain biking is my thing, but it's hard to get out often with work and the babe. running is so simple and so quick and as long as i'm not trail running DS can join in. but i prefer trails...

so my goals this week: 2 - 45 min trail runs on work days, 1 hour+ run with stroller and a minimum of 3 mtn bike rides of whatever length i can get.

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
welcome grnmtnmama!!! I'm assuming you are in Vermont? are there snowmobile or xc ski trails near you? That's where I "trail" run with dd in the jogger. It is more like a muddy/grassy/swamp run because it has been super wet here lately.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Welcome grnmtnmama! Sounds like quite a week you have planned! There are no trails around here wide enough for a jogging stroller. Sigh. The only cross country skiing tracks around here are on golf courses, clearly used for something else in the summer.

Kerc ~ well, I'm glad the tests came out negative, but sorry to hear there's no real answer. Can a Ca/Mg deficiency cause excessive thirst? Do you get leg cramps? That's supposed to be a clear sign of a Ca/K imbalance. The advice for muscle cramps is always to get more potassium, but pregnant and breastfeeding women are more likely to be Ca deficient. Have you considered going to a chiropractor? There may be something out of whack causing the headaches, though I don't see a direct link to the thirst question. Have you had your eyes checked lately? Teeth? Is there a correlation to your work days/home days? Do you sit at the computer with good posture? Are you sleeping on a good mattress and good pillow? Grasping at straws...
Ewww on the tick. Watch yourself for a bullseye pattern anywhere (not just the bite site) on your skin for the next few weeks, please.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
i don't know of any trails that would be suitable for a jogger, the terrain is pretty rough around here. We do have tons of dirt roads with very minimal traffic, so it's not too bad. but not the same as running on singletrack

the weather here is perfect for running today! not too hot, not too humid and beautiful sunshine. if only it could be like this all the time.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, here's my race goals...

dh said shoot for under 30. See I have no idea how fast I can run without the stroller. I know I do about 11 - 11:30 min miles with it. But yet I've also been running for so long now (almost 3 months) that I figure I could certainly do better than that...so my other goal is 27 min. We'll see what I do...

Yes the weather was awesome!!

Wecome grnmtnmama!

Kerc - I know I tend to be very thirsty all the time and some of what I attribute it to is that when I had dd and was nursing ALL the time, I drank all the time. Now my body is used to being very well hydrated. I even sweat now when I run, I used to get overheated very easily b/c I didn't sweat enough. I have no idea the amount of water you are drinking in a day, but I hope it's something innocuous like what I described. Still, if it is something I hope you uncover that too.

e&e you are rockin' with your routine!! Enjoy your concert!

Patti Ann- nice work!!!

Geo - Yeah on the swimsuit!!!! Spghh on dh
I wore something the other day and someone said I looked like I had gone down a size
!! Even though I haven't lost a pound
. I have been doing measurements every so often to see if I'm losing inches...I am, not a lot, but it's still progress.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
: I haven't been running in almost five days. Aack! I really want to go today. I've been feeling off, like really tired and a little nauseous. I'm not even going to mention what the feeling is reminding me of. It is perfect weather though....

·
Registered
7,230 Posts
Can a Ca/Mg deficiency cause excessive thirst?
what i've read is, yes. Mg deficiency. also can mask itself like a sweets craving. also identified in people with attention problems (which i think i do not have).

Do you get leg cramps?
yes, occasionally. they are terrible when they happen, as in wake you from a dead sleep. Given the banana consumption at home, I don't think it is a K problem.

Have you considered going to a chiropractor?
yes. I don't have great ins. coverage for non traditional healthcare. And have squat for extra money this summer due to one of my dh's classes being cancelled.

Have you had your eyes checked lately? Teeth?
yes. new glasses, teeth ok too.

Is there a correlation to your work days/home days?
yes, my diet is different too. Most work days I don't get enough leafy stuff to eat. Just hard to make the salad when I'm running out the door to get to work.
Do you sit at the computer with good posture?
:LOL been working on it my entire life. My collaborator's wife is a rolfer and suggests that I should do the whole multiple step thing in order to improve my posture.

Are you sleeping on a good mattress and good pillow? pillow yes. mattress not horrible, but in need of replacement. we moved here 4 years ago and thought we would be here max 3.5 years and then would sell the whole kit and caboodle and buy new. :LOL I've been working on getting a queen size mattress for 2 years now. $$ again becomes the problem.

can I add that I hate that much of my life seems limited by $$ right now? speaking of which I should get back to my real work so the end of the grad school grind can be in sight.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc
Can a Ca/Mg deficiency cause excessive thirst?
what i've read is, yes. Mg deficiency. also can mask itself like a sweets craving. also identified in people with attention problems (which i think i do not have).
Wow, I didn't know that! I have been having a ridiculous craving for sweets lately and dh even commented on it. I do have attention problems too...so what foods have Mg (I know plenty for Ca and I don't think that's a problem). But what other symptoms besides thirst could indicate the Ca/Mg problem?

What an education I receive when I'm here!

Missbliss, no worries...run when you feel better...it's hard to get out there when you're under the weather. Maybe a slow walk will help?

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kerc
what's the spelling for a big old "i'm a construction guy whistling at the woman walking down the street" noise?
*wolf whistles*

I salivate over running, but I think I am too heavy for it. I have a weak left ankle which causes shin splints. My weight (230) might have something to do with it, although I know plenty of people who are this heavy and can run successfully. I did walk/run and tried to take it slow and I kept coming up lame. I iced my shin after every run, took ibuprofen... nothing worked. Until I lose some weight, I'll have to sit on the sidelines, unless one of you has an idea?? (i hope i hope i hope)

Running is the best feeling. THE BEST. I really hope I can join your group soon enough.

·
Registered
10,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
geekgolightly (I love your name!) you might try walking first. That's what my dh had to do, he had to walk for awhile to both strengthen his muscles and lose a little weight so that his joints could handle the pressure. I bet others here will have lots of ideas! Welcome and you've already joined the ranks

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Hi all! Welcome to geekgolightly and grnmtnmama!
GGL--ITA with walking first and maybe mixing some light jogging in. I have been on weight watchers for five months and have lost about 33 lbs so far with that and walking, then running. When the weight comes off it is so much easier to run!

oops, thundering here so I better do goals fast:
This week...
M-5 miles
T-2-3 miles with stroller
W-5 miles
R-5 miles
S-12.4 miles (the whole trail, finally!)

take care y'all,
Beth

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Welcome grnmtnmama and geekgolightly! Just want to second what the others have said about walking initially to lose some of the weight first.

Missbliss-I'm sure you'll get out there when you're feeling better.

babybugmama-Those are great goals. I'm sure you can do it. I hate to run with the double jogger. I'm sure without the extra weight you'll run much faster! good luck in the race.

Patti

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
ok i will be the lone walker in the group with plans to run. my heart is running with you guys, for sure.

i did walk two miles a day (sometimes up to four miles a day) up until last week when i got worried about my breastmilk and took it very easy. im back in the swing of things, with a slight increase in caloric intake (i was losing too quickly), and will walk this evening when its a bit cooler. houston is hot and M U G G Y
so i avoid it during the hot hours.

thanks for the support and the welcoming.

1 - 20 of 159 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.