Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been bitter cold or gray and raining here for what seems like weeks so in desperation today ds and I went to McDonalds
: because it has one of those indoor playgrounds.

We were there late in the day so there weren't too many other kids there -- just one family of kids, ages 2, 4, and 6. Ds is very friendly and loves playing with other kids and he ran over with a big smile saying "Hi Guys!" and they were SO MEAN -- they all ganged up on him, saying "Eeewww! We don't want to play with you! Get away from us!" The smallest kid kicked him (his mom made him stop) and something happened up in the tubes (I think he got hit again) and he came out sobbing.

Now, after this the mother made them stop playing, but didn't have them apologize, nor did she apologize to me (which I thought should have happened). Ds recovered and happily some very nice children came in after this and they all played together.

I'm still kind of mad and upset about it though. Is there any other way to handle this, except to stand back and see what the other parent does, if anything? And should I try explaining this situation to ds? I know it hurt his feelings.

·
Registered
722 Posts
One of the things that I told my DD when I similar things happened was that the Budda said that all people teach me how to behave, some show me what to do, some show me what not to do.

I tell my kids to stay away from the mean kids. If a kid is agressive or gives them a creepy feeling, stay away from them. Both of my kids have been punched, scratched, and bitten enough times (and they have never been to school or daycare!)

I wouldn't say that it isn't going to happen again. All kids have to learn to deal with mean people. It's just a sad fact of live.
:

·
Registered
4,867 Posts
I have gone through that as well. Many times it seems that I am the only parent that is watching the kids closely. I feel like I am one of those hovering helicoper moms,lol. But kids can pretty darn mean both psychologically and physically, so I just keep watching and intervene when it gets unacceptable.I have no problem telling kids to *get away* from my kids.I haven't been going to bk places lately because I just don't feel like dealing with kids who take their issues out on my own. It is great when we come across some nice kids,but a *bad apple* can leave me upset for the rest of the day! I can usually get a sense for which kids dd/ds should avoid.You can just tell lots of time if they are going to play nice or not,but sometimes dd/ds just won't listen to mamma. My dd is like your son-happy to join in with any age group and play,play,play,but many times she gets excluded as well. Hugs to your son!
Sara
ps. this grey wet cleveland weather sure does give the blahs.
Do you ever go to Great Northern Mall? I hear they have a play area set up next to the coffee shop that is nice. I haven't been there myself,but it might be a better alternative than McD. With the fast food places I try to avoid the big playlands,though I have had things occur in the little ones.You just can't prevent everything. I also usually go to ones that get less traffic like the BK on 303 in Brunswick. I went one time to a McD playland in Medina that was chock full of kids from 11mo and up. It was total chaos with even a few bloody noses!!!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are great insights and advice, thanks! I did talk to ds about it, and he wanted to tell Daddy too, but he does seem to have bounced back more readily than I did. I think I could have been more assertive at the time and will do better next time.
Kids can be so awful -- some friends had a bounce house at a party and as it got darker more big kids went in and an observer said it was like "Lord of the Flies in there." Is this the socialization that we keep hearing is so important?
Thanks for all the hugs, guys -- it is just so upsetting to see your smiling, friendly dc get smacked down and taunted by mean kids
:

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
SOmething like this happend to my ds (3) the other day and it upset me so bad, I wanted to cry for him. We were at a play ground and ds was following a few kids, trying to make friends. He told the girl... YOu're my friend! and she just said ewwwww get away from us! He didn't even notice what a brat she was and kept following. Several times she said.... STOP Following us! I got very upset and walked up to the girl and said. If you can't play nice, don't play at all, and gave her a look from hell. My dh told me that it was wrong of me, but I think I would've felt worse if I didn't say anything. The rudeness had gone too far and my boy is such a sweet, loving person and I want him to stay that way. Some kids are so mean. What are you supposed to do about this? Is there some kind of Dr. Sear's rule here? Thanks for posting the topic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.