Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my three 8 month old RIRs is getting continually more difficult. She immediately starts pecking at me when i enter the coop. I usually use a hoe to make her stand still, then I pick her up. She is fine with being picked up. But I cant do anything in the coop for fear of her attacking me. The minute i put her down she is after me, pecking at me enough to draw blood. I want to have neighborhood kids collect the eggs while we are on vacation but I dont trust her. I am not sure what to do- any advice?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Is it possible "she" is a rooster?

I have never had any of my hens do that....just roosters when they get to be about...oh, 8 months old or so.

I wish I knew what to tell you. Maybe cage her up while you are gone so everyone is safe.

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
sounds like my Rooster named "Turkey" ... that thing attacks me.... i now see why people kill their chickens ... this thing is soooooooo mean ... all the rest of my roosters are fine but this (&@#*$& *) & is a PITA. I just cleaned out the coop and he tried attacking me about 20 times ...

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
suwannee~

I have heard for hens acting as the rooster if there is not one around. Could that be what your hen is doing? I think that by picking her up you are showing her that- hey- I'm the dominate female here! which is good. You are braver than I am- when our rooster started attacking me, I got a stick!

When you go away, I would separate her so that your helper doesn't get attacked!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think it's because she is in a cage and is protecting her territory. I don't mean to discourage you, but I don't believe there's much you can do to "cure" her of her attitude. You could try letting her run free if that's a possibility. Perhaps opening up her world would help... Then again, she just might have a larger home base to protect.

I also have been attacked by birds as well as territorial cats. (I have the scars to prove it!) Still, I can't bear to do away with the beasts. I just keep thinking that I'm going to tame them with kindness. Who's to say it won't work eventually?

·
Registered
13,092 Posts
I take a broom or my foot to the terribly mean roosters we have. They never bother me again. one rooster it took two kicks for him to leave me alone.

My oldest took a stick to him when she was suddenly attacted by him, he now leaves her alone.

The rooster that is/was a meany is free range.

Once they know who is boss they will leave you alone.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
I have a silver laced wyandotte hen who was nicknamed something unprintable due to her aggressiveness. I do have a roo, so she never attacked whilst I was in the pen. But if you tried to pick the roo off the perch at nights when he was next to her, she'd peck. She went broody & it was a total mission collecting the eggs from under her. So I borrowed some fertile eggs from a friend of mine & let her raise a batch of baby chicks. She was an awesome Mum & has calmed down heaps since then. No more pecking or nastiness.

As to your hen, have you got a friend with chooks who could mind her while you are away ? Otherwise, if she were my hen, I'd probably put her in a separate cage while I was away. Save her attacking the neighbour's kids or them bashing her with a stick.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
We ahd a roo we bashed multiple times with a hockey stick. It never seemed to bother him. We lived in fear, he ruled the entire yard.

Now, whenever I notice i'm close to my roo, I ger down low, croucn and talk softly. It seems to chill him out that I get down like that. I also opentheir door every morning and reach over so I can pat most of them as they run by. They stopped being so physical once I started touching them more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.