Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My last AF was in the spring of '04, when I got pregnant with my son. So that's useless in timing how far along I am. Is there a way to tell without having an ultrasound? I don't remember my MW breaking out the tape measure until I was really far along. Would an HcG blood test be able to tell?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
I was in a similar situation and opted to get the early u/s because I started spotting. Otherwise we would have been wondering... I'm still wondering as my m/w swore she felt my uterus rising out of my pelvis at my 7 week visit (when by dates, I should have been closer to 10 weeks) and I am know measuring 3 weeks ahead of my early u/s indicated due date of 1/17. Makes me wonder if we won't be having a Christmas baby!

Anyway, I know there is a list of milestones-- when you tested postive, when the uterus starts to rise out of the pelivs, when you first feel quickening, when you first feel real movement, etc. I'll look and see if I can find a link for you

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
With my 6th I had no af and choose not to have an u/s. I also didn't get any blood work done. We went with the date of my + as 4 weeks and went from there. When you first feel movement, when you can hear the baby with a doppler, with a fetascope and measurements all used in conjunction can give you a pretty good idea of when you are due. Its better having a window instead of 1 day anyway since you have more leverage that way. Its really nice not to have this date having over your head.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I was originally going to say that for me, I would get the ultrasound to have firm dates. That feels important to me in case of pre term labor or testing that I may choose to do later in pregnancy. This is just for me....

But, when I visited my midwife she actually liked not having an "official" due date because it can limit options at times. For example, going into the birth center at 36w 3d with firm dates I would be sent to the hospital. With a window of time, it is easier keep me at the birth center if appropriate. Am I making sense? I hadn't thought of it that way before and it makes alot of sense and also goes along with what FullHeart had to say about the date hanging over your head.

Heather

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Hcg levels can very a lot, so I'd imagine they would only be accurate within 3-4 weeks or so.

An old midwifery trick is to find when the fundus is at mom's belly button. This is almost always at the 20 week mark.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
As you get further along the window will tighten up. If it makes you feel better I was a mos off on my dates and had a wonderful hb. It worked out really well for us, and I much prefered thinking I was 38 weeks instead of 42 (btdt way too many times).

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I am in your same boat right now. I honestly don't exactly know when I'm due. At first we thought it would be the end of May. But then at my 10 week appt, we could feel my fundus obviously above my pubic bone and my mw even heard the hb with the fetoscope. So we moved it up a few weeks.
She is sort of waiting until we can feel my fundal height at my belly button, since that will be approx 20 weeks and we'll have a better idea of a due date at that point.

DH and I did consider getting an early dating u/s and even went as far as making an appt for it, but decided to cancel, since we dont' really want u/s and we figured we could wait until 20 weeks to know for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts