Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok...so what do I do if there is meconium in my amniotic fliud when baby is born? Drs usually say thats a really bad thing for babies to aspirate meconium and they do something if its in the AF.<br>
Also, how will I know that all of the placenta came out? Don't they check for that in the delivery rooms at the hospital? Adn they examine the placenta there too.<br>
Please forgive all the questions, I really want to have a UC, but want to cover all my bases, for my own peace of mind as well as DH's

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
If baby is vigorous, no need to worry about mec. Protocols are supposed to be that they don't suction unless baby is having trouble, but unfortunately they usually do.<br><br>
You might be able to find some good placenta pics online to compare.

·
Registered
160 Posts
during my UC there was meconium in my water but baby didn't breath it in. He required no suctioning at all. With my first hospital birth I had a retained placenta. With my UC it took 1 hour to come out but did so intact.<br><br>
"Current recommendations say that if an infant has inhaled meconium but looks active, appears well, and has a strong heartbeat (>100 bpm), the delivery team can watch the baby for MAS symptoms, which typically appear within the first 24 hours. So the baby is observed for such signs as increased respiratory rate, grunting, or cyanosis."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts