Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not currently pregnant, but I am planning a homebirth with my next baby (we are TTC). My aunt put a fear in my head, and I need some education on what would happen. When my cousin's wife had their baby, he inhaled meconium. I'm sure this isn't very un common. What is done (by the midwife) in the home if this happens? I know that I can ask my midwife this question, but I figured I could ask you all first!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
The new reccomendation is that if the baby is active and doing well they do nothing. If not, the mw will suck it out.

This happened with dd and I was super worried about it happening again. It was one of the first questions I asked when interviewing. The way my midwife responded, calmly and like it was no big deal without being dismissive of the issue, totally put me at ease.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Depends on the midwife. It's not all that common, really. They have to pass meconium in utero, then aspirate it (remember they don't breathe until they're out of the womb), then get sick from aspirating it. Typically, I believe, midwives transfer for thick meconium. A small amount usually is not going to be a problem. Meconium can be serious, of course, but usually isn't.

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
There is solid evidence to show that any type of suctioning with baby at birth will NOT prevent meconium aspiration syndrome.

It's rare and it happens. But it's not likely to happen even with the vast majority of (even with thick) meconium-presented births. The babies that do get it are likely sick in some other way or have respiratory issues at birth that compound the inhalation in the lungs.

Meconium inhalation occurs with oxygen deprivation in utero, not with the first breath after birth. We just happen to have learned new things in the past ten years.

Meconium is likely very normal - and it's a chance to listen to the baby a bit closer, but it's something that every provider feels different about.

·
Registered
4,200 Posts
just wanted to say that even in the worst case scenario where the baby is having difficulty breathing, they just get the baby to the hospital and they take care of it there. it happened to a friend of mine, and her DD needed to be transferred. She was in the NICU for a couple of weeks, mama had to pump her milk and baby was fed with a tube. The doctors (who were not fans of homebirth) admitted that her outcome would've been no different had she been born right there in the hospital. She came home a perfectly beautiful, healthy baby, nursed like a pro, and became a super chubster
so don't worry yourself about it. even in the unlikely event that it does happen, where you give birth is unlikely to affect how the baby does.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
My MW says thick meconium is one of the few cases she will transfer for.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.