Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for keeping my 4-year-old off his feet. He has a broken leg, poor little man. He's in a boot and we're hoping to keep him in that rather than a cast because he can take it off at night and for tubbies, but it means he needs to be off it as much as possible.<br><br>
As much as I'd love to simply sit with him for a couple of weeks and read through Grimm, I can't...I have a 5.5yo and a baby plus the house to keep, too. He'll need to have some solo time!<br><br>
Any suggestions both for keeping him occupied and for burning off some 4-year-old energy so that he sleeps and eats well while he's laid up?<br><br>
I'm thinking of bringing the village from our Fairy Garden inside and sacrificing the dining room table to make a fun activity space for him...I can set up the (fabulous 1930s hand-me-down from a family friend) electric train there too. He can play in the sand box for sure...maybe I need to add some things there?<br><br>
I guess I'd love some outdoor ideas especially as I don't want him inside all day because of this.<br><br>
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,605 Posts
Water play---fill a big tupperware up and give him cups, spoons, sand, shells, rocks, figures etc to set up scenes.<br><br>
Sidewalk chalk----create a road map around where he sits and give him some cars to use on the road!<br><br>
Bubbles<br><br>
Playdough<br><br>
A fallen log, kid-size hammer and nails--that should keep him busy for a long time!<br><br>
Paper, scissors, glue, tape, crayons<br><br>
Legos or blocks<br><br>
Puzzles--my almost 4 year old can do the 30 piece ones and they keep her busy for a long time!

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
My suggestions were pretty much the same as above, except maybe doing lots of baths in the bathtub with shaving cream. Paper/pens/crayons. Figurine play. Puppetry.<br><br>
One thing you might want to think about: My dd broke her foot at age 2.5 and we had her casted. It was wonderful. She ran, jumped, and climbed in her cast. It really did not slow her down one bit, and her foot mended beautifully after 4 weeks. They have casts that can get wet and they aren't that more expensive than a regular cast but you have to request them. We found that out in retrospect and will be doing a water cast if we ever have to again. I'm only mentioning this because to me it seems a LOT harder keeping a child from running around at that age. You can even swim in a water cast.<br><br>
Hugs! And I hope you find some good solutions!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Racking my brain here, too but good ol'beans are a good activity; especially outside if your guys are like mine. We pour them or spoon them from bowls, pitchers and so forth, use them to make paper and glue collages, plant a few and watch them grow within a couple of days, etc.<br><br>
My 4 year old is not quite ready to fingerknit or weave yet although I am going to introduce paper cutting and weaving soon, but maybe your fella would enjoy. We also do some basic sewing and my 4yo has made several simple freeform 'pillows' stuffed with lavender and pine needles lovingly gathered from our Christmas tree.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts