Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our approval for a September spend down from Medicaid today in the mail.
: That's the first step we've been waiting for in getting help for our sick 2YO. They say we only have to pay $524 out of over $27,000 so that is good news. That will make it easier to get a spend down for July and then finally to apply to actually get her covered. Yay. So we got the letter today. Does anyone know what happens next? Do they just pay the bills? How does that work? This is my first run through with the system.

On the down side, we are still really struggling in the present. We literally have no grocery money for the month. I have come up with about $25 to spend on groceries. We have a good store of meat, we get milk delivered every week (which we aren't paying for), we have like 7 dozen eggs in our fridge - so, um, we're good for protein. But we have no vegetables or fruit. What do you think the best way to find cheap veggies is? We are usually an organic family but I'm letting go of that. **sigh** What's the best way to stretch this money?

As far as an update. We are still on the list at modest needs although we've not making much progress - which is why we are so strapped. At this point if maybe, maybe they still come through for our January mortgage payment we will be ok. I haven't paid the electric and am praying they don't turn it off. Lila is doing all right, we got some bad news that her lungs are weakening. But we have had two angels in our wonderful community who told us last night that they are going to put in the HVAC system the doctors say she needs.
:
:
:
: I am stunned and humbled. We are involved in MDC HH (I have no need for anonymity
) and have been floored by the help there. So we are making it. By the grace of community and friends. We continue to be blessed even in the midst of our hardship. Now if I can just figure out the best way to keep my girls fed for the next month...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunnylady303 View Post
We got our approval for a September spend down from Medicaid today in the mail.
: That's the first step we've been waiting for in getting help for our sick 2YO. They say we only have to pay $524 out of over $27,000 so that is good news. That will make it easier to get a spend down for July and then finally to apply to actually get her covered. Yay. So we got the letter today. Does anyone know what happens next? Do they just pay the bills? How does that work? This is my first run through with the system.

On the down side, we are still really struggling in the present. We literally have no grocery money for the month. I have come up with about $25 to spend on groceries. We have a good store of meat, we get milk delivered every week (which we aren't paying for), we have like 7 dozen eggs in our fridge - so, um, we're good for protein. But we have no vegetables or fruit. What do you think the best way to find cheap veggies is? We are usually an organic family but I'm letting go of that. **sigh** What's the best way to stretch this money?

As far as an update. We are still on the list at modest needs although we've not making much progress - which is why we are so strapped. At this point if maybe, maybe they still come through for our January mortgage payment we will be ok. I haven't paid the electric and am praying they don't turn it off. Lila is doing all right, we got some bad news that her lungs are weakening. But we have had two angels in our wonderful community who told us last night that they are going to put in the HVAC system the doctors say she needs.
:
:
:
: I am stunned and humbled. We are involved in MDC HH (I have no need for anonymity
) and have been floored by the help there. So we are making it. By the grace of community and friends. We continue to be blessed even in the midst of our hardship. Now if I can just figure out the best way to keep my girls fed for the next month...

When I applied for medicaid for my sons hospital stay Medicaid just paid the bill and I stopped getting notices from the hospital. As for the veggie issue, have you thought about WIC? In my city WIC provides checks for fruits and veggies. Have you thought about applying for foodstamps to help with feeding your DD's?

to your DD

·
Premium Member
4,587 Posts
Do you have a food pantry nearby? Ours has fresh fruits and veggie that are supermarket "blemishes". You may have to cut the end off a potato or squash, or throw out one banana from a bunch, but they are free and you can get at least one good meal out of them most of the time.

Also, check out the frozen veggie aisle. Frozen veggies are often cheaper than fresh. Fresh definitely taste better, but when you are just trying to get through, it may help you for the time being until you can buy fresh.

If all else fails, you can most likely get some canned green beans/corn/carrots at your local food pantry as well. Definitely last on my list of options, but I have been there, so you can get by on those if you absolutely have to.

Good luck mama.
It sounds like you are making progress, which is wonderful!
:

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
What an awesome update!!!!!
:
:
:
:

How exciting about the HVAC too!
:
:
:

I'm sorry that you haven't made more progress with modest needs though (it's super easy to donate there folks)

I second the suggestion about the "blemishes". Our grocery store has a rack of them in the back that aren't free but are greatly reduced. This is also the time of year for the Salvation Army Christmas hampers. Maybe see if you can get something from there. It's unfortunate you aren't in Canada because I have two grocery gift cards that I will be donating to the Salvation Army. I would have sent them to you if they weren't a Canadian only chain.

You're doing an awesome job mama! Keep it up!

Martha

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
The clearance rack of our local supermarket often has very cheap canned vegetables and fruits. The rack is not in an obvious place but if you ask an employee they'll tell you where it is.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.