Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking to work full time and there are jobs in medical facilities available, I am looking at mainly billing, but willing to do other stuff to get experience. Would you go to work in the medical field in these times, with recent events? some jobs are available, but I am concerned, if I will put myself in a health risk. I don't think patients visit some of these facilities, they are labs, that apparently also do covid 19 tests.... but obviously in a separate section, not where the billing staff works.

If anyone has any advice, or already does a similar job, any info. would be appreciated.

· Registered
4,039 Posts
Hmmm, tough call but I just returned to the dental office where I work after a 3 month furlough and I'm in near panic. I had an option my first day back to work a half day or full day and I bolted as soon as I could. I've been looking for remote billing jobs for weeks and as soon as I find one, I'm out with no notice.

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm, tough call but I just returned to the dental office where I work after a 3 month furlough and I'm in near panic. I had an option my first day back to work a half day or full day and I bolted as soon as I could. I've been looking for remote billing jobs for weeks and as soon as I find one, I'm out with no notice.
Wow! thanks. Btw, dd has braces and the office has been calling her for check ups even before the initial opening of states. But they are dealing with young kids, teens or below.

· Registered
4,039 Posts
Wow! thanks. Btw, dd has braces and the office has been calling her for check ups even before the initial opening of states. But they are dealing with young kids, teens or below.
This is only relevant if you are in the US, but OSHA has said elective dental treatment is not allowed yet. So even though state governments have reopened offices for elective treatment, CDC says not yet, emergencies only, and OSHA uses CDC guidelines. So technically, if an employee complains about being made to do elective treatments, OSHA can shut the office down.

I have braces now, too. My advice is to schedule appointments for first thing on a Monday so the aerosols will have had all weekend to settle. Let them know you are not ok with them using a handpiece (drill) while your dd is in there. Most ortho offices are open bay so make sure they are only using every other chair. That's how I'm proceeding because I don't want my treatment time extended as I'm planning to move out of state as soon as my braces come off. I only missed one appointment so I'm still on track.

I want to re-answer your question now that I've had a few days to think. If the job site is ensuring social distancing between employees, and using proper PPE when engineering controls and work practice management aren't enough, you should be fine. My dental office is doing none of the above and that is why I am so upset.

Tough times, eh? And tough decisions to make. All the best to you.

· Registered
3 Posts
Hi,

I am looking to work full time and there are jobs in medical facilities available, I am looking at mainly billing, but willing to do other stuff to get experience. Would you go to work in the medical field in these times, with recent events? some jobs are available, but I am concerned, if I will put myself in a health risk. I don't think patients visit some of these facilities, they are labs, that apparently also do covid 19 tests.... but obviously in a separate section, not where the billing staff works.

If anyone has any advice, or already does a similar job, any info. would be appreciated.
I don't think it will be a good time to work in the medical field. Try to search for other jobs and if you don't have any options then it is a very tough call for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.