Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS is nearing 4 years old and not potty trained... At all. He wants to do it, badly, wants to wear underwear, but he pees every 15-30 minutes. Always. We've done a week or so with no dipes, no pants, just nudie around the house. He pees on the potty just a bit and then pees without knowing it. He doesn't even know if he's wet. He tries to go in the potty at school, but they won't take him every 15 minutes the one day he actually asked.

Even in dipes he's peeing every 15 minutes, you can tell this based on those little designs on the Target brand pull-ups that disappear when wet. We don't do treats or stickers (though he loved that and it really motivated him, I thought this frequency was him drawing out reward so we haven't done that in at least 6 months). Like I said, he doesn't want to be in dipes and has some shame over not being "able" to PL like his buddies.

Probably unrelated, but this is a kid who also won't touch his own penis or let anyone else. I have always assumed it's fine he doesn't want us to touch his penis, but I try to get HIM to wash it and he won't touch the penis, just around it. And if he stands to pee he won't touch it. He's intact, btw. We don't make a big deal out of it, and we're a very no-shame family, we take showers with the kids and just don't have body shame like that. He isn't in childcare, he stays home with me except for preschool, but this penis thing is since he was a baby. We've told him recently how his penis and bottom are "private" just for him to touch. He seems fine with that.

So do these pee issues seem like medical issues? The Ped wants us to see a pediatric urologist, she hasn't tested him for a UTI since he hasn't SAID anything about pain and doesn't have a fever. She's never seen a 3.5 year old that pees every 15 minutes. She says not being potty trained at 4 usually isn't related to physical readiness, just emotional, whereas this seems physical.

I've never known anyone with this issue and I really feel lost.

joanna

What would you do???

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm SO worried they're going to do a catheter on him. I had one when I was a teenager and it was terrible. Especially considering he gets mad if I try to wash his penis with a washcloth in the bath!!!!

Maybe I can ask the doctor if I can bring a sterile urine sample into the office with me?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gretelmom View Post
I'm SO worried they're going to do a catheter on him. I had one when I was a teenager and it was terrible. Especially considering he gets mad if I try to wash his penis with a washcloth in the bath!!!!

Maybe I can ask the doctor if I can bring a sterile urine sample into the office with me?
If he's getting mad when you try to wash him, it might be because he hurts. All the more reason to see a doctor.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Check into food allergies or sensitivities. I have read several times that frequent peeing can be a sign of this. Consider going on an elimination diet. It would be tough at first, but I think it would be worth it to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gretelmom View Post
I'm SO worried they're going to do a catheter on him. I had one when I was a teenager and it was terrible.
they put freezing on you first. my doctor's wonderful. i barely noticed he was doing anything. he's the best urologist i've had yet. hopefully you can find a great doc too.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Our awesome, practical Ped was like "you don't need a catheter if you can teach him to pee in a cup!" so we're going to work on getting him to pee in a cup so he can give a sterile sample when we go without a catheter, unless they ahve to do some crazy test or something! I'm hoping it's something simple...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.