Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was started on a couple of medicines but I have been told not to take them by my son's pediatrician because she told me they could cause respiratory depression...I was put on zoloft and topamax which is a mood stabilizer...I need to know if they are safe to take...The doc is the only one that said it's not safe every other doc and everyone else say it is safe but since there is no study on how topamax affects breastfed babies they aren't sure...I was told by my ob to try it and if he acts different then to stop taking it...I really need it but I would rather not take the meds then stop breastfeeding...Please help...Anyone had any experience with this medication? I am mainly needing info on topamax...Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I take Zoloft 50 mg daily and have taken it through 2 pregnancies and breastfeeding my 2 kids without complications. I don't know much about the topamax, but Zoloft has been deemed safe.. Hang in there!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Check with someone that has a copy of Hale's - like your local LLL leader or a certified lactation consultant. You might also search on Kellymom.com to see if there is any info about Topamax. I just did a quick search there, nothing, but I did find this reference: http://www.bipolarworld.net/Phelps/ph_2003/ph1042.htm

Here's a link to info about Zoloft and nursing -
http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...hale10-02.html

I actually printed off a copy of this and brought it to my doctor. My MW was reluctant to prescribe anything but Zoloft because that is what she was familiar with. My GP told me to wean, and why was I so "into" breastfeeding
:. I was having severe reactions to Zoloft. I finally saw a psychiatrist who I only see for my medication. I gave her this list, and she put me on Celexa which has worked well for me. I am also taking Klonopin for anxiety (.5 mg daytime, 1mg night).

I would highly recommend finding a good psychiatrist - your psychologist or therapist should be able to recommend one. OBs are just not trained to understand the pharmacology of PPD.

Oh and if any of the docs brings up that these meds are not approved for BFing in the PDR (physician's desk reference) remind them that Tylenol is also not approved for BFing in the PDR. Basically, for BFing safety info, Hale's is the only reference.

GL and hang in there!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.