Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Phoebe!

(Sorry if any of this is disjointed and rambly- I'm typing fast trying to get this done before the baby is awake again!)

Phoebe arrived on Friday, May 1st at 2:28 pm (ish), weighing in at 9 lbs 3 oz, 20 inches long (I think).

I woke up Friday morning a little while after my husband's alarm for work went off (so about 6 am) to a fairly strong contraction that in my mind could've been a strong BH. I was just going to focus on relaxing through it, but I got a cramp in my thigh at the same time and had to jump up out of bed. When I did, I suddenly felt like I had to pee, and felt fluid coming out. I panicked and ran to the restroom where I did pee, but when I stood up the liquid in the bowl seemed really cloudy. I called the midwife on call to ask if my water could've broken and she said that maybe it was my mucus plug coming out that gave the cloudy appearance. Anyway, I put on a pad and sat on the couch for a bit, and as I was getting more contractions (not strong at all), more fluid came out. I realized I wasn't just peeing on myself, and sent DH out to get depends (at eirual's suggestion, actually!) for me so that could be comfortable and not leak everywhere.

I sat around for a bit, and had some contractions, but nothing serious, and told DH to stay home because my water had broken. After an hour or so my other three children began to wake up. DH said, "all questions come to me at this point, guys" and I kinda just puttered around and stopped to relax through whatever contractions I was having.

I had originally had a prenatal appt scheduled for that afternoon, and my MW told me to keep it just in case. At 7:20, their office called me and said the MW I was supposed to see that day wasn't going to be in, and could they reschedule me...the latest opening they had was 11:40. I said fine, but that I was probably in labor anyway and might not make it. I wanted to rest since I had gotten up early, and finally got comfortable sitting up in bed- away from everyone. I honestly didn't really notice the activity of the house too much since I was in and out of the bathroom and then resting in my room, for probably a little more than an hour. As I was getting in the shower a little after 11 (I figured I might start making my way to getting ready for the hospital), I asked DH to call and cancel the appt, so he did. After my shower (where I had a few stronger contractions), I was still in the bathroom, and got a call from the MW on call asking why I didn't show up. I told her DH had cancelled and explained that I was having contractions, just waiting for a pattern to emerge (they were anywhere from 7-11 mins apart at that point, I think). I asked her when I should come in (like five minutes apart?) and she said, "well...you KNOW." Uh...okay. Ha ha. (A side note here...my first labor took FOREVER...like a couple days- lots of prodromal labor. My second and third, my water broke early on, and labor didn't start by itself- I was given pitocin to "get things moving"- and I have a family history of long labors, so I figured I had a while).

Anyway, my goal was to finish packing whatever I'd need (and had DH doing some things too, but even he had no clue what was really going on because my contractions were so manageable I guess, he was just sitting around watching Netflix and taking care of the kids- ha) I let my sister know (who was coming to watch the kids) that she could probably plan on being there by 2 pm and we would leave. She arrived about five or ten minutes til 2.

I was in the bathroom after getting dressed, and kept having contractions the whole time- they were probably getting close to five minutes apart, but then I would have that random one three minutes later- I knew we needed to get moving, but still in the back of my mind I had thoughts like, "we're gonna get there and I'm just going to be at five cm or whatever" ha ha. They were taking up my focus when they would happen, but again, there was no *real* pattern- 6/7 minutes here, 4 minutes there- (in hindsight, I should've realized that I really needed to go when I was trying to find a comfy place to be at one point before my shower- and finding none, really- I sorta felt like a dog circling around before lying down. Lol!)

I heard DH yell that my sister had gotten there, and I was like, "okay!" but then got a contraction and was starting to vocalize through them. I remember hearing DH brief my sister on what the kids could have to eat or whatever and yelling at him, "shut up, {DH}! We have to GO!" He was like, "okay, okay!" He was hilarious, because I had him read through the emotional mapping thing in my Bradley book, and once he saw me come out of the bathroom, he was like, "Oh! Okay...you're doing great...I'm here with you." (He so wasn't paying attention! Ha ha!) So we headed for the door, and I stepped over the threshold, and I was like, "um...I need to use the bathroom again." Had another contraction, and called for DH. I said, "I'm not going to make it to the hospital. Call 911!" He was like, "what?" and even I didn't totally believe myself when I said that, but then he must've realized how serious I was, and led me to our bedroom, and started stripping me down as he called 911.

As he was on the phone, he got me onto the end of the bed, and I told him to make the kids go in the living room (they, plus my nephew were in the dining area where our computer is- right outside the bedroom door). He started putting comforters and sheets for me to get onto so as not to destroy our bed, I guess, as he was on the phone with the 911 operator. I heard him telling our address and situation, and then seconds later I heard sirens and DH was like, "okay, your people are just about here...I hear the sirens". I was pushing already at that point, and before the paramedics got up into our apartment, I heard DH say, "there's the baby's head!" (I was on my hands and knees and couldn't see anything- not that I had a mind to anyway, I was totally focused on the contractions and pushing).

Anyway, I started to hear people come in the room, and then DH saying, "oh my God! Her head is out! Oh, she's so beautiful! Just keep pushing!" and some chatter about having DH grab the baby's shoulders as they came out (I had to push really hard here) and they finally got out, and then seconds later, she was totally out. (When someone finally thought to ask what time it was, they said 2:28, though it was probably a few minutes before that). I guess DH had gone into the other room as another paramedic was asking for my info- I was still facing away and couldn't really move, and so didn't see the baby. I didn't hear her either at first. There was a bit of commotion for a moment I guess, and I just kept nattering at the paramedics to leave her cord alone for a bit (me still on my hands and knees, ha- still not really seeing any of these guys). Ultimately, DH cut her cord, and they assured me it had been a couple minutes (wanted longer, really) but they started talking about meconium (I never saw anything but clear fluid). So once her cord was cut, they took her out to get oxygen or whatever. A couple of them helped me flip over on my back, and were trying to give me oxygen, and I'm like, "I'm fine...I just want my baby. Go get her. Bring her back."

They started talking about taking her to the children's hospital, and I was like, "NO. We're going to {Hospital's Name}" and finally they were like, "oh, okay, we're taking you both to {Hospital's Name}" I was like, "uh, yeah. Thanks." Ha. So they had me get on this black carrier thing, and started to carry me downstairs (of course our neighbor was outside wondering what was going on) I was totally covered of course. I waved to my other children and said, "Mommy's okay!" and they were like, "bye, Mom!" Ha ha- totally unfazed by everything. They put me in the ambulance with the baby and two of the paramedics (I think one of them was the one who caught her) and had the sirens on and got me to the hospital that takes me usually 25 minutes to drive to in like 10 minutes.

I still had the placenta and kept trying to push it out on the way, but I was in such a weird position that it wasn't working. I was holding the baby, and started to try to feed her, and she latched right on, and nursed almost the whole way there.

Shortly after arriving at the hospital, they checked us both out- I had a very small tear that didn't need stitches. The baby weighed 9 lbs, 3 oz, and the meconium thing wasn't an issue after all.

Overall, it was an awesome birth, even though I didn't make it to the hospital to have her. It was crazy not having someone coach me, or assess my dilation or tell me when to push or anything. No monitors, no triage, no blood pressure cuffs, no waiting. A totally different experience than any of my others.

She is still nursing like a champ, and is now four days old. I feel pretty good, just experiencing some swelling- even the bleeding is much easier this time- really pretty light.

We are totally in love with this little girl! :love:love:love

Attachments

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
DDCC from July! ~ Look at that hair!! And those cheeks!! *swoon* :love

What a fabulous birth story! Congratulations on your sweet baby girl! :heartbeat

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
Congratulations, mama! She is absolutely perfect and what a fabulous birth story! ♡♡

Reactions: joyfulmomof2

·
Registered
426 Posts
Congrats!!! And it sounds kinda like the EMTs were a tad clueless... So happy everything ended up perfectly and she's beautiful :D

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Awesome story, congrats!!!

·
Registered
337 Posts
What an amazing birth story--gave me goosebumps! (It might be weird, but I have fantasies about my planned hospital birth somehow turning into a surprise homebirth...)

Your baby girl is absolutely precious--love those big cheeks!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I LOVED your story! Thank you so much for sharing it!
Congratulations to you and your family on your sweet little babe.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Congrats, mama! You rock! How come you didn't mention the word pain not even once?:) just kidding, seems like it was a beautiful birth!!! So happy for you! The baby is gorgeous ,and all that hair!!! Wow!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Congrats!!! And it sounds kinda like the EMTs were a tad clueless... So happy everything ended up perfectly and she's beautiful :D
You know, I'm not sure they were as clueless as I make them sound...just probably don't make the best birth attendants. Lol!

Congrats, mama! You rock! How come you didn't mention the word pain not even once?:) just kidding, seems like it was a beautiful birth!!! So happy for you! The baby is gorgeous ,and all that hair!!! Wow!
It's funny you should say that. I didn't even notice the omission of that word! One thing that I was really believing for was to experience a pain-free labor/birth. I can't say that it was totally pain-free- those ones toward the end were pretty intense- but it wasn't really that bad at all! I was really prepared with affirmations (one I kept repeating was "my muscles are just flexing to let the baby out.") It really, really helped me to change my perspective on labor and birth well in advance. I did many different things with this pregnancy, but I think that was probably one of the biggest things that helped me. :smile: (I read Supernatural Childbirth at least twice- which I think is probably somewhat similar to Hypnobirthing, but from a Christian perspective).
http://www.mothering.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

·
Registered
287 Posts
@joyfulmomof2
How was it to birth at home? I always have these fears of remembering how I was in pain and wild in my own bathroom/bedroom, and those memories will linger and make me move out, haha.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts