Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>When my 3 yo was little, I used an Ergo for the most part. I don't have it anymore (wasn't expecting another child). Now I am due in May. I have a wrap that I made out of cotton-linen fabric similar to Moby which I think I will use when the new one is nb. But I also would like another carrier that does not require wrapping when he's bigger. I was thinking a Mei Tai might work since it works sort of like the Ergo. I liked the Ergo but I would rather have something less bulky that I can wear all the time under a jacket for fall and around the house. I am 5'6" and roughly a size 10 so medium build.I also like the idea you can just throw it in the washer. I have a feeling this baby is going to be in the carrier all the time. It is the only way I will be able to get anything done with my older one around - so it has to be super comfortable. Are there different types of Mei Tais? Can your baby sleep in it? (In the wrap, the fabric could be pulled out to support the head) but rarely did he sleep in the Ergo. Is it easy to get baby in and out with it already on you? Sorry, I just never seen one in real life.</p>

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
<p>There are different types of mei tais.  The main difference you will find are that some have an unpadded waist (BabyHawk, FreeHand, Kozy) and others have a padded waist (KinderCarry, Bamberoo... most of the padded waist ones are made by small work at home mama companies and harder to find).  The padding is a personal preference, most people say that it makes them more supportive and comfortable when carrying older, heavier babies and toddlers.  The padding is not like the structured waist of the Ergo, it's usually much softer and flexible.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>As far as the sleeping hood, yes, some mei tais do have a built in sleeping hood.  Others have more of a structured head rest for sleeping babies.  You can also buy a universal sleeping hood to fit on any mei tai that doesn't already have a hood. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I do find mei tais pretty easy to get on and off.  Much like the Ergo, you will tie the waist on, then place the baby is the body of the carrier, and then tie the shoulder straps.  They cross in the back for a front carry and usually are worn backpack style (like the Ergo) for a back carry.  It can take some getting used to, but it's not hard, IMO. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope that cleared things up a bit... just start looking around at sites for pics of mei tais and videos of instructions, that may help you decide if a mei tai is right for you. :)</p>

1 - 2 of 2 Posts