Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I was excited to get my mei tai so I could go on long walks with DS w/o the stroller but now when I wear it, after ~5 mins. my hips get really sore. Any thoughts? I think I must be overcompensating for the weight in front but not sure how to avoid the discomfort. Anyone experienced this?

Second question : I would really like to learn how to do a high-back carry with the mei tai. Anyone know how or have a link to directions (preferably with pics!)?

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
hmm, my ds is a month younger than yours and i don't get hip pain-what kinda MT is it?
as for high back carry, great directions w/pics at www.kozycarrier.com
good luck, hope it gets more comfy for you-are you apron tying? take a look at all the directions on that site-kelley has good explanations for all safe positions...
hth
kel (not affiliated w/kozy carrier
)

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
How old is your ds, and how heavy? Getting him up on your back, no matter what his age/size, will probably be the most comfy -- we're just not designed to carry much weight on our fronts for extended periods of time.

Def. make sure the straps are tied snugly -- and bounce/pull the top ones to get the slack out. Your child should be quite close against your body, and high and tight above your waist.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I think you need to give more info as the other mamas have said- size and type of carrier.

It could also be your are not wearing it tight enough on the top so it is putting more weight on your hips. can you post a pic? I try to only carry my DD on my back- she is about 28lbs +/-.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My DS is ~23 lbs. and I have a Free-Hand Baby carrier. I do tighten the slack pretty well now and he's up nice and close to my body. I would carry him on my back but he's been tending to fall asleep and this mei tai doesn't have a head rest and his head flops all over the place. (I wish I'd done more investigation before buying this one!) Thanks for all the responses!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.