Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used ring slings for 6 years and have loved wearing my babies in them, but a couple weeks ago I discovered wrap carriers - I met a woman using one, she let me try it out, and within a week I owned two of them (an Ellaroo and a stretchy wrap made by the woman I met). I am REALLY liking them! Comfortable for me, comfortable for Ian - I've even been able to wear him on my back (he's 6 mos) which is something I NEVER did with any sling.

Anyway, in reading up on wraps a bit here, I have been exposed to mei tai carriers. (I can't believe I have been babywearing for 6 years and never realized there was so much more out there than ring slings and Baby Bjorns!!).

My question is: how does a mei tai compare to a wrap carrier as far as how easily and quickly you can get your baby in it and be ready to go? I'm getting better (faster and less awkward) with tying on my baby with my wraps, but it's still an effort. Is a mei tai any easier, really? Are they just as comfortable as wraps? Although we are both more comfortable when he's in the wrap than we are when he's in the sling, I do miss the "poppability" of the sling when I'm running errands, etc. So I guess that's my primary question - would a mei tai be as comfortable as a wrap but more "popable"?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I only have one wrap and it's a gauze type fabric. It is 5.5 yards long. It's comfy, but I do find the MT easier. The MT straps do drag on the ground when putting it on, but the wrap is a lot worse. I plan to explore wraps more, though, so ask me in a few months.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I find the Mei Tai easier to put on, but I find the wrap much more comfortable.

There are also a few hybrids--the Maya Tie and the Napsack have wide, wrap-type straps and a Mei Tai body. I'm sure there are others too.

For a more poppable Mei Tai, you could try a beCOpack or a Jackpack. They're Mei Tais with buckles instead of the long straps.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i too find mei tais easier -- waaaaay easier actually. they are my favourite type of carrier. getting babe in and out is so much easier and faster compared to a wrap, which, imo, requires a lot more fine tuning and tweaking with the rails of the fabric. i find wraps to be hot, rather combersome and, at times, extremely frustrating. in terms of comfort, a lot of mamas find wraps more comfortable because they tend to distribute the baby's weight more evenly, but i prefer my mei tais and still find them super comfy with my 30 lbs toddler. as for poppability, the front cross carry is a good way to go and definitely more poppable than a pre-tied mei tai: http://www.peppermint.com/crosscarry.htm hth!

~jane

·
Registered
838 Posts
I have a Moby wrap and a Freehand Mei Tai. I loved the wrap for a long time in the beginning, very comfortable and great for a newborn who despises the cradle hold but wants to be held close. The tum-to-tum was great. But, it's icky in the hot weather here and is a PITA if you have to redo it when out - I can't get it to not drag on the ground.

The Mei Tai has been great since he's old enough to spread his legs around me and wants a little room to look around. The MT is also easier and faster to get on! And it's definitely cooler now that it is HOT HOT HOT here!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I find wraps to much more comfortable in a long carrying session. (Going to the mall, long walks, doing housework, etc.) You just don't get the pressure points from wraps in most cases. On the other hand, a mai tai like carrier is much quicker in my opinion to toss on and go for a quick errand. Plus, you are not dragging near as much fabric on the ground when you put it on. I highly recommend owning both! Ok, maybe not much help here, but they are so different, both are excellent for different situations.
Happy babywearing!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I totally agree with the other mamas.

Mei tai is easier for me to put on and quicker, and comfier in hot weather.

But wraps are soooo comfy for long walks or longer wearing time.

I keep a mei tai in the diaper bag (okay, actually it's an onbuhimo, but they're close) for quick trips. But if I'm going to go like grocery shopping at a warehouse store or for a walk with the kiddos I wear the wrap.

·
Registered
729 Posts
yeah. a mt is easier. especilly for back carries. however a fcc is much more popable and if you dont want things getting on the ground when tying (not counting buckle mts) then pretieing a fcc and just poping in and out all day works well ime.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts