Mothering Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was reading a post about melaleuca just alittle bit ago but i lost it and i can't seem to find it
i was gonna add to it my experience with melaleuca so i guess i'll add it here. i've been getting melaleuca for about 8months now and although i really like the products they are really expensive, i pay about $70 per month on the stuff
: i would love to quit getting it cuz of the expense but i wanted to make sure i could find everything i needed to clean naturally before i quit, disinfectant, laundry detergent, fabric softener, dishwasher detergent, bath soap, shampoo, everyday cleaner for contertops, floors, etc. I think that about covers it, i've found most of the info but if anyone has any other recipe's i'd really appreciate it. Oh and back to the melaleuca thing, not only is it expensive but its really hard to sell anything to make money, like i said i've been doing it for about 8 months and wanted to get into the business part of it but i haven't made a dime. I do like the vitamins too, (also expensive) what kind do y'all take if any?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
The concepts behind Melaluca are very attractive, especially where you can get all these "natural" products all from one spot. For me however, I couldn't bring my self to buy their products because
(a) They're expensive
(b) I was really turned off by all the plastic on their site! I know plastic has distinct benefits over other packaging materials for liquids, but it just seemed too much. It they only sold more in bulk, then I'd be less turned off.

I try hard to use as much Sodium Bicarbonate and Vinegar as possible, though we still have a bunch of less natural chemicals that we need to finish using.

I have to run, but I'll give you some ideas of what I use:

Disinfectant: Vinegar, Tea Tree esssential oil, lavender EO
Laundry detergent: See sticky in this forum for recipes and this thread
Fabric softener: Vinegar - 1/2 cup or so per full washing load
Dishwasher detergent: I'm still working on that so I don't know!
Bath soap: Castile soap
Shampoo: Baking soda and ACV for rinse; shampoo bars
Everyday cleaner for contertops, floors: Diluted vinegar and baking soda for scrubbing.
Deodourant: The crystal

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used Melaleuca for 7 years AND tried to do the business and we got soaked
: The dang stuff is NOT, NOT, NOT natural!!! READ the labels---there are a few nice, natural ingredients thrown in with a TOXIC load of garbage. Look at Seventh Generation for cleaners, Burt's Bees and Aubrey and Dr. Bronners for replacement personal care products!! I had a horrible detox from all the parabens in the 10 products I was using on my body every day---Nicole ****** face wash, the Advanced Expressions shampoo and conditioner, the body wash, the body lotion, Nicole ****** toner, Nicole ****** face cream, etc., etc. etc......In fact, the preservatives in the conditioners (methylchloroisothialozone and methylisothialoxone spelling?) ARE actually pesticides
: When I was diligently looking up what EACH ingredient in each product was on the internet, I found a horrifying Material Safety Data Sheet about these pesticides and they are rated as Highly Acutely Toxic when Dermally Applied----that means keep it off your skin. Well---is your scalp skin or not? I even called the FDA to confirm what I was reading was true.

Anyways---I feel VERY strongly on this issue against Melaleuca because we worked SO hard, spent SOOO much money and got totally poisoned and tricked in the process! Good Luck

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I'm enrolled with Melaleuca, and I'm trying to quit but they won't tell me how! All they've told me is "You need to write a letter" but they won't tell me to whom! And in the meantime they are automatically sending me boxes each month and charging me for them. I must have 40 bars of their stupid soap! And ITA with the pp who said it's not natural. It really isn't. And it smells horrible!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych
I'm enrolled with Melaleuca, and I'm trying to quit but they won't tell me how! All they've told me is "You need to write a letter" but they won't tell me to whom! And in the meantime they are automatically sending me boxes each month and charging me for them. I must have 40 bars of their stupid soap! And ITA with the pp who said it's not natural. It really isn't. And it smells horrible!

I'm sorry your having so much trouble quitting melaleuca, i'm gettin ready to quit too, and you do hafta write a letter include ur id# and the reason ur quitting. The address is: Melaleuca, INC
3910 S. Yellowstone Hwy
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83402
Good luck

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Gosh I'm so glad to see this thread! I bought Melaleuca products for a few months, but couldn't afford it anymore (so much for cost savings like they advertise!). But lately I've been on a big-time "healthy & natural kick" and was going to sign back up for their stuff anyway, thinking it would be good for my family, and I would just cut costs in other ways to afford their products. But wow, I am SO GLAD I didn't do it! I never realized that there was toxic nasty stuff in their products! Thank-you for sharing your story.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by frontierpsych
They told me the same thing, and since I'm not big on letter-writing, I simply notified my bank that I no longer allowed withdrawals from my account that were made by Melaleuca. It cost me a $15 fee, but well worth it IMO, no more shipments! And the one shipment I did receive, I just sent back and they sent a credit to my bank account.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by naturalmaman
The dang stuff is NOT, NOT, NOT natural!!! READ the labels---there are a few nice, natural ingredients thrown in with a TOXIC load of garbage.
Though I haven't looked in to many of the product ingredients, I did compare the laundry detergent we used with theirs, and gotta say, not a while lot of difference (I think there was one less ingredient). I was using an enyzme-containing detergent, nothing advertised as natural or environmentally friendly. I'm just going to stick with Baking soda and shredded castile soap (or Dr. Bronners) as the base for my laundry detergent.

Melaleuca's selling schemes really bug me the most to be honest!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, I just had a hudge fallen out with Melaluca. They kept sending me packages and wouldn't tell me how I could get out, I even canceled my debit/credit card and they still sent the package and backbilled the card!!!!
Finally someone helped me and told me to send a letter to the company stating that I wanted to cancel my account. It hasn't been a whole month yet but the company stated that my account was closed and that no additional packages would be sent.
Not a very Green-Friendly company!!!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I know this is an older post,
but I just found it. I'm somewhat dumbfounded. I don't know how anyone would think the products are expensive. They are no more expensive than the grocery store, less even. One bottle of most cleaners make 4 spray bottles. I don't know where you people shop. The cleaners are environmentally friendly and I know organic stores cost way more than average groceries.

Now about quitting, the problem is you found a crappy marketing executive. The people I deal with help you get out if you want out and explained the "boxes they keep sending you" well before I signed up
To quit, write a letter with your signature, printed name address, and customer number to the company, Melaleuca (address is on website)

I love the products and the price. I have sensitive skin and allergies and I can use their detergents and body wash, lotions etc, without a problem. The skin lotion even got rid of my excema so I don't need a prescription lotion now. I am a MomExecs/Melaleuca rep now and think it's great. It's sad that you had to run into someone that made you have a bad experience.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pointermom View Post
I know this is an older post,
but I just found it. I'm somewhat dumbfounded. I don't know how anyone would think the products are expensive. They are no more expensive than the grocery store, less even. One bottle of most cleaners make 4 spray bottles. I don't know where you people shop. The cleaners are environmentally friendly and I know organic stores cost way more than average groceries.

I love the products and the price. I have sensitive skin and allergies and I can use their detergents and body wash, lotions etc, without a problem. The skin lotion even got rid of my excema so I don't need a prescription lotion now. I am a MomExecs/Melaleuca rep now and think it's great.
*Melaleuca*

Not natural, Very expensive.
I agree they probably are no more expensive than grocery store brands

Making your own is natural and alot less expensive.
My dd had eczema but after using my own natural products she no longer has it.
I also used to be a rep for them, never made any money but still had to order the stuff every month. I finally quit and it was not easy, they tried to talk me into staying (of course) the lady even said "do you really want to expose your family to those store bought chemicals again?" as if i would
: I said "no i will not, i'm going to make my own", she was not happy with that!
The people are really nice at Melaleuca untill its time to quit, then they show a different side of themselves, of course thats because they can't make anymore money off of you. This is just my experience

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Melaleuca is regular, toxic cleaning stuff with tea tree oil (aka melaleuca oil) added to make it seem more natural

Don't be fooled into thinking its natural and good for you. It's all a marketing gimmick.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by FlutterBee View Post
Melaleuca is regular, toxic cleaning stuff with tea tree oil (aka melaleuca oil) added to make it seem more natural

Don't be fooled into thinking its natural and good for you. It's all a marketing gimmick.
ITA

·
Registered
27 Posts
well I wish someone would show me where to find saftey sheets on the cleaners and what the bad stuff is.

As far as I know the cleaners are the only thing that are supposed to be all natural. No claims for the other products.

But can someone take a specific cleaning product and tell me what's the bad ingredients are

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
I looked into melaleuca because someone had said it helped with their autistic son, and my 5 yo ds has autism. I saw no difference between what they sell and what I can get at walmart. The way the business worked also reminded me strongly of a pyramid scheme, very similar to amway.
And they never bother to tell you that melaleuca is just a fancy way of saying TTO, it's the same thing.
As for what you want to avoid in cleaners and products... bleach, parabens, sulfates, phosphates, and petroleum would be a good start. That pretty much rules out anything you could buy in a normal store. All of these things thrash the environment and the human body.

Namaste,

Michelle

·
Registered
116 Posts
To find your Material Safety Data Sheets, just pick up a bottle of Melaleuca cleaner or shampoo or lotion, read the ingredients, and then just type in each one individually in your search bar asking "What is ___________" and when you get your answer, then type in a search for the MSDS for each ingredient. I did this with EACH ingredient in the Advanced Expressions shampoo and conditioner (among the other "natural and safe" products)-----the MAIN reason why I ditched Melaleuca!!!
:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts