Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been giving Mark slightly less than 1mg of melatonin for the last 5 nights. He's gone to sleep noticeably faster and with less difficulty when he's had it. Bedtime is 7:30pm, so I give it to him during our bedtime routine (between 7 and 7:30pm). He's asleep by 8pm. Great, right? Sort of. Now he's waking up at 5am. So he's getting about 9 hours of sleep, which is a drastic drop from the 12 hours he was getting just a few months ago. Better than the 7 or 8 he was getting prior to the melatonin, but still falling far short of what he really needs to function well. He's also not napping well during the day anymore, so we've still lost at least 4 hours of sleep each day.<br><br>
So is the 5am wakeup for the day melatonin related? I can't seem to find anything to indicate that it would lead to a shorter overall sleep time. Would he do better with slightly increased dosage?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
That usually means you're giving too much. I have to give it to almost two year a lot of days and when she starts doing that it means the dose is too high.n How much does he weigh? Eliana is about 28 lbs and I her 0.4 ml of a liquid melatonin that is 3mg per ml. So she is getting 1.2 mg of melatonin. If I give her her, say, 0.6 ml instead it will backfire.

·
Premium Member
9,138 Posts
Itcould be the dose. Higher doses can wake kids up as they wear off. So you might play with the dose a little to see what is the smallest amount that works. Andrew typically takes .25 mg (I break the pill) or sometimes even 1/2 of that. If that isn't it--<br><br>
When we get really early morning wake-ups it is because Andrew is over-tired. Which would certainly be the case with Mark given what's been going on. Like Andrew it seems like he kind of gets worse and worse sleep wise the less sleep he gets.<br><br>
So if that were it (it could be; or it could not...) I would give melatonin again at say 3 am so the child slept longer and hopefully caught up a bit. I don't do things like that all the time of course and you don't want to dose melatonin weirdly too often. But here it does work to catch up and then he can better regulate is own sleep. I've used it for afternoon naps too just to get caught up.

·
Registered
5,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, that all makes sense. Mark is just shy of 35 lbs. I'm crushing up a sublingual 1 mg pill and giving it to him on a spoon, so he's not getting quite 1mg, but perhaps is really is too much for him. I've not found liquid melatonin locally, and would really love to avoid having to buy yet ANOTHER thing online......<br><br>
I'll try giving him just half the crushed pill tonight (it's too small to break in half since I don't have a pill splitter) and see if that helps. He IS napping today b/c he's so very tired and it's raining and dark. I sure hope he gets back on track soon - he's so tired.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts