Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Thanks for all your responses about our bedtime woes. It's getting worse. Not only do we have an hour long screaming session at bedtime, E is also getting up three or so times during the night. My husband and I are trading nights sleeping on his floor so that he doesn't get up and wander. Soooo.......

about this melatonin stuff people keep mentioning...

1. Does your pediatrician endorse its use? My pedia is very "by the book" so I'm thinking she is going to say no to this.

2. What kind of dosage do you give?

I tried to look this info up on the net but everything I read says it's safe for ages 18 and over- no fatalities reported, so that's good.

I'm desperate, thanks! K in Raleigh DS 7/21/030 dx- ASD, HFA, SID and DD 3/06/06

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have a DS on the ASD who is a non sleeper... Melatonin was my saving grace....I went to the GNC store and bought the 1mg tablets that were cherry flavored and they dissolve in his mouth...My sons pyscologist was who recomended them to me and the DAN doc I will be seeing uses it if I am correct...

Ryan is 4 and weighs about 35lbs and has been taking it since January

·
Registered
81 Posts
We use melatonin for my ASD 2.5 year old most nights and for my 5 year old as needed. I bought the liquid melatonin from Whole Foods. At 2mg - my kids went to sleep fine, but had multiple night wakings. At 3mg they generally sleep through the night.

Your body already has melatonin in it, the supplement just increases those levels to bring about a sense of relaxation and tiredness. Dosage, from my expeience and those of the other parents on my autism yahoo group, isn't based on weight - it's based on personal effectiveness. It all depends on how much your body naturally produces. Start at 1mg and work your way up as needed.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
We give DD 1 mg melatonin with magnesium (it's kind of a calming formula) when she's having issues and not every night. Her sleep issues tend to come and go. I haven't checked with ped about it but I'm sure she would endorse it if I did...she is very holistic in her approach.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
We give ds .625mg (It's a 3mg tablet cut into quarters) when we feel he needs it. Give it about an hour before you want them to be asleep or falling asleep. We got peppermint flavored sublingual tablets at Whole Foods.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I had an herbalogist friend recommend it to me, then I checked through my ped and she was very welcome to it. We've been through three different doctors now and all have been very approving. For us we do the 1mg and have tried going nights without it but he still needs it every night.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Trader Joes has a chewable one that my son will take - I only have given it to him a few times and I only give him half of the (500 mcg) tablet which makes it a really small dose. He is 3 yrs old.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My dd was "prescribed" melatonin by a sleep medicine doctor. She is 3 and was started on 1mg and increased to 2mg. We stopped it because it made her hallucinatory and did not really help. But she gets the same way with most meds that are sedating...kind of in a half-awake state. It is overall a very safe med at low doses.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts